[Winpwn] [error 1604] Solution
Solution for Error 1604
1. Uninstall iTunes 7.7 form your computer as well as Apple Mobile Device Support and then reboot your computer. Go to your Control Panel and use Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features (Vista).
2. Before attempting to launch iTunes 7.5 for the first time you need to delete or rename the iTunes folder.
Rename the C:\Documents and Settings\**your user name**\My Documents\My Music\iTunes folder to iTunes Backup.
3. Install iTunes 7.5 onto your computer links for itunes 7.5 on this page" http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1504 "
4. Put your iphone into DFU mode, and it should be detected by iTunes 7.5 (Instructions of putting iphone in DFU mode is on the above link at iclarified)
5. Restore your iphone to 1.1.4 with original file (iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw) through iTunes 7.5. Once your phone is restored to 1.1.4, Unlock it with iLiberty (Why iLiberty to avoid the error through winpwng for now), iLiberty tutorial is on www.hackthatphone.com (" http://www.hackthatphone.com/114/iphone_iliberty_windows.html" at hackthatphone.com)
6. Now use winpwn 188.8.131.52 to penwag your phone
7. Upgrade your iTunes to 7.7 again.
8. Upgrade your winpwng to 184.108.40.206
9. Create a custom file "Custom-iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore" with winpwng 220.127.116.11
10. Open the iTunes 7.7, connect the iphone & put it in recovery mode. Once iTunes detect it upgrade the software to "Custom-iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore", by clicking "Shift" & "Restore"
I have tried it & it works.
Success after getting error 1601
Using winpwn to upgrade from 1.1.4 (iLiberty) with itunes 7.7 on XP - Folllowed iClarified directions and got error 1601.
After several tries using various suggestions on this and other sites, I was about to downgrade itunes to 7.5.
Investigated a little further first (REALLY didn't want to downgrade) and found comments on making SURE that you go into DFU, not recovery mode.
Apparently it requires a little more finesse to get it right with iTunes 7.7. Once in DFU the Custom ipsw loaded with no problem.
Took about 10 minutes, then some waiting while the bootloader was neutered. After that, I restored from the iTunes backup to recover contacts, notes etc. and I was good to go. Checking out the AppStore selections now.
Thanks to all who took the time to comment and contribute!