[Winpwn][ 220.127.116.11][2G][iPhone]This is for everyone having problems W/ 2.0.1 firmware
Netmagix deserves all the Credit for this post....thanks Netmagix
This is for all of you having problems with the 2g iphone and Winpwn 18.104.22.168 developing a custom 2.0.1 firmware
I had a perfectly working 1.1.4 iphone when i decided to upgrade to 2.0.1 using winpwn 22.214.171.124 and it screwed my phone up for the best part of two days.
For those of you who had been struggling, you may be aware of the errors 6, 13 and sometimes 20 that pop out on itunes when restoring. I was blighted with the first two for the most part and I can understand your frustration.
Error 6 is possibly to the fact that
1. Because you are not in DFU mode (see how you can do it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTcKMZfyfk)
2. iTunes does not recognize the custom firmware file you have made using Winpwn 126.96.36.199 as being suitable to restore (because of the various complications such as freezes, hangups, crashes etc in building it using Winpwn I would imagine). To overcome this problem I downloaded Bigboss's (bless him) custom 2.0.1 firmware file made for iPhone 2g from
*** Mod edit: No links to custom firmwares on the boards ***
and this makes life so much easier than having to crash through buggy Winpwn. Using the file made the restore work like a charm with none of the errors.
Right, now this is how you go about it.
1. You must have winpwn 188.8.131.52 and iTunes 7.7 installed
2. Download and save the above firmware.
3. Connect iPhone and start iTunes (and ignore any restoration messages)
4. Start Winpwn ---> Browse ipsw ---> Select original 2.0.1 firmware from Apple (not bigboss's) ----> wait for winpwn to recognise the file ----> then click 'ipwner' and then select the bigboss's downloaded custom firmware-----> Wait for Winpwn to kill/pwn itunes as indicated by 'Your iTunes has been pwned'.
5. Restart iTunes (and still ignore restore messages) and put the iPhone in DFU mode (see how you can do it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTcKMZfyfk).
NB: Your screen should not have anything displayed in DFU mode, it should be pitch black.
6. When in DFU mode, iTunes will pop another message out to restore your iPhone. This time, while holding the 'shift' button click 'restore' and select the downloaded custom firmware file.
7. The whole process should take around 20-30 minutes so please be patient.
8. Once you succeed, bootneuter will pop up on your iPhone and starts to work its magic for at least another 10 minutes. Do not ever interrupt this process just because the screen appears pretty unresponsive.