Question about unlocking
I have a iphone running version 2.1 and it has never been modified. I am going to sell the phone to a friend and I need to unlock it first. I only care about being able to use a different carrier and having the standard apps, i dont need anything special. I have read the basic guide at Winpwn 2.5 Basic Guide | Sleepers.net and before i do this i have a few questions;
- Do i need to downgrade to a different version first, if so which and where can i find older firmware?
- Once its unlocked, all he has to do is pop in his non-ATnT sim card and he is good to go?
- Should i keep the original sim card since he has to use his own anyhow?
- Will the standard apps be there (google maps, stocks, youtube, ect, ect)
- Can the phone still be loaded with songs and videos from itunes?
- I am assuming you can not use the itunes update after unlocking, but what happens if he does?
- After it is unlocked and working, is there anything i should avoid doing that can brick it, anything special i should know?
I realize that is a lot of question, but surely you can see why i am worried, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Just read carefully & follow this guide and you'll be perfectly fine: How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)
Regarding to your questions:
No, yes, only if you want, yes, yes, it could be locked again (if there is a new baseband) or just unactivated (if baseband remains) and open it I think
Alright thanks for the help. It seems the process was a success, hopefully when he pops in his sim card it all works. If all goes well i most defiantly plan to donate towards your hard work, thanks again.
Okay i have got to ask, what is stopping people from buying a 3g iphone for $200, unlocking it with quickpwn then selling it on ebay for $350? Too damn tempting!