I have exactly the same problem as you. Its been a whole month and i am still not able to solve it. My phone just has a pineapple and Steve job logo. Itunes 7.5-8.0 is not able to recognise the phone, tried on several pc and it still doesnt work.Tried ways and means and combinations, it still doesnt work. Now, i am just stuck with a dead iphone with no solution..
1. Make sure iTunes 8 is installed on your Mac/PC.
2. Connect iPhone and Mac/PC, shut down iTunes if running
3. Shut down the iPhone by holding home and start/sleep until the iPhone screen goes black, immediately let go of both buttons then.
4. Wait a couple seconds then hold home and start/sleep for 10 seconds (I usually count 100, 200, 300, ... to meet the 10 seconds)
5. Let go of start/sleep but keep holding home
6. Keep holding home until iTunes starts and finds an iPhone in recovery mode, this may take 20-30 seconds but at least 10 secs.
7. Let go of home button
8. Click "Restore" in iTunes to restore to Apple firmware 2.1
let me know if this works for you
after trying to update from 1.1.4 to 2.1 my phone i stuck at the "Connect to iTunes" logo trying to restore to any possible version in any possible way in any possible combination of iTunes 8, 7.7 & 7.5 (error 160? or 1611)
after restore -> restart -> "Connect to iTunes" logo appears again. Can't get rid of it
I have tried EVERY combination out there and, still, no computer can recognize (what is it called? DFU? FDU?) my iPhone. Someone gave me this phone, then I tried running RedSn0w, but it did not work. I've read that it must be restored with Apple Update 2.0 or 2.1 or something like that. Can't I just jump to 3.0 (using RedSn0w) once I get it (AND IF) to be recognized with any computer?
Bottom line, the biggest problem right now is that the iPhone cannot be DFU/FDU (or whatever is called) recognized by any computer! Like I said, I've tried every combination out there (power, power & home button for 10 secs, then home button for x secs, etc, etc, etc.) Nothing! Any ideas? Any other way I can connect my PC to the iPhone?
It'd be greatly appreciated.