Discuss Just getting 3gs with 3.1.3, new bootrom now-questions at the Ultrasn0w (3G(S)/iPhone 4 unlock) - Hackint0sh.org; I just bought a 3gs on eBay. I have been reading the forums etc, but ...
Just getting 3gs with 3.1.3, new bootrom now-questions
I just bought a 3gs on eBay. I have been reading the forums etc, but want to confirm my understandings and have a few questions about jailbreaking, unlocking and my options before I jailbreak/unlock my phone.
The seller wiped the phone a few days ago and declined the 4.0 update, leaving it on 3.1.3 (which I want to keep). It has modem firmware 05.12.01 and serial number 88011xxxxxx (manufactured 11th week this year). The phone was a warranty replacement and is almost new. So I understand this means I have the new bootrom precluding use of pwnagetool (I want to avoid a tethered jailbreak). The seller says he connected to iTunes and moved past the "Connect to itunes state" so it can be run as an ipod right now without a sim and the settings can be viewed.
1) I understand it is OK to connect the phone to my iTunes without limiting my options further, as long as I do not update the firmware, right?
2) So, my only option for jailbreak and unlock (and stay on 3.1.3) would Sprit followed by ultrasn0w, right?
3) Regarding Sprit, should I just follow the directions, but not worry about putting an AT&T sim card in, since it is already activated? Would running Spirit with no sim be OK?
4) I understand I do not have to load an iOS firmware at all during jailbreaking and unlocking with spirit/unltrasn0w and therefore do not need my SHSH file for 3.1.3, right? And if I save my SHSH in cydia on unlocking, I will get one for iOS 4, not for iOS 3.1.3, right? From what I am reading, it seems I cannot restore a copy of 3.1.3 on top of the existing 3.1.3 to totally reset the phone? So, I wonder how my seller was able to wipe his user data (after iOS 4 came out)? Or is there a way to put 3.1.3 on top of 3.1.3 if I ever want a clean start? Or can I extract the current SHSH from the phone somehow, now that I am receiving it activated?
5) I understand I should use the firmware umbrella to save myself a 4.0 SHSH (while staying on 3.1.3) in case I want to unlock in that version later, when possible. Will doing spirit followed by Ultrasnow on 3.1.3 now harm my future options with the device?
6) If my unlock don't go smoothly and the phone gets in a state that its firmware needs to be restored, it can then only be a 4.0 phone thereafter and cannot be unlocked because 4.0 cannot be jailbreaked. So I take it I have only one chance to get this right, or I will not be able to unlock, right?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
1) Correct. You can plug in to iTunes so long as you do not tell it to update to 4.0
2) Correct. If you are on 3.1.3 and do not have an SHSH for 3.1.2 on file, you must use Spirit to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock.
3) Spirit requires you to be PAST the 'Insert SIM to Activate' screen to run, which you are. So you should be fine.
4) It's a moot point as you can no longer request one. Until about a week ago, Apple was signing 3.1.3 so it's possible he just reflashed 3.1.3 when they were still signing it. It is *always* recommended that users *always* get *all* of their SHSH files for *all* revisions of firmware to protect themselves in the future.
5) Correct. You want to use Firmware Umbrella to make a local copy of your SHSH. Using Spirit / ultrasn0w will not threaten your ability to do this. You can get an SHSH file from a completely non-jailbroken, factory phone (as well as from jailbroken and unlocked phones).
6) Correct. Read, re-read, then re-read again the instructions you're going to follow. Check, double-check, and triple check to make sure you have everything you need. If you do not have information, do not guess. Find out definitively. If you do this incorrectly you will require a restore to factory 4.0 which (on a 3GS) is currently not able to be unlocked or jailbroken directly.
The preceding forum post has been brought to you by the letter "N" and the number 42.
iPhone 4, 32GB (iOS 6.1.2 | evasi0n | SHSH: 4.0 - 6.1.2)
iPad 2 3G, 64GB (iOS 6.1.2 | evasi0n | SHSH: 4.3 & 4.3.3 - 6.1)
Restore problems? Read this: http://www.hackint0sh.org/f137/130802.htm Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare? Please Donate!
Well, I got my phone and the jailbreak/unlock worked as I planned. However, I had a glitch running Spirit.
When Spirit finished running on the computer, the phone got hung on the Leopard theme progress bar screen for over 10 minutes. I had connected the phone to the computer and iTunes to sync first, then I quit iTunes and I was running without an Internet connection at the moment. I had to hold the power and home buttons to regain control and the first time I did that, I was stuck on the Apple. I ended up re-running Spirit with iTunes open and the computer connected to the Internet to regain control of my phone, and then I found Cydia (successful jailbreak). I am curious why this is? I have seen others have similar issues in posts but no clear answers on what I should have done to get a smooth run first time.
The UltraSn0w proceeded uneventfully and my phone works on TMobile USA.
Also, I am curious about the history of the need to save SHSH blobs. Did this apply to all iPhone 3gs, old and new bootrom, and all 3.x firmwares, or when, and what introduced the firmware signing process with Apple? Is this check done by the new bootrom, certain modem firmwares, or what part of the phone software does the check in what versions?
Am I correct that Bootrom really is ROM and cannot be changed in an existing phone by Apple or anyone else short of tearing it apart and replacing a chip?
By zuzzu in forum PwnageTool
Last Post: 12-15-2010, 01:31 AM
By Phoenix67 in forum iOS 4.x (iPhone OS 4.x)
Last Post: 08-08-2010, 01:29 AM
By Cptow in forum Redsn0w
Last Post: 03-07-2010, 02:42 PM
By tiktak in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 03-07-2010, 07:56 AM
By Videokiddo in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM