I installed 10.6.5 with few issues and 0 panics, but I did a very limited version of the tutorial in this thread.
I am currently attempting to install 10.6.6 in the same method. I'll let you know how it goes.
I try to stay away from kexts I don't REALLLLLY need, because the few times I tried to follow this tutorial to the T, I got infinite panics. My method is pretty hahutzy's 1 through 6, then I do the kexts I need. Have not yet gotten sleep.
SMproductname is MacBookAir2,1
Anyone else getting problems with either of the following:
(1) When using -v -x, you an endless loop of "still waiting for root drive"
(2) When not using -v -x, you get a little O with a / through it above the apple that just hangs indefinitely
I'm getting it pretty much 90% of the time. Occasionally, it seems the Apple gods pity me and let it work.
(1) It is not definitive, but it's possible that it was a hardware issue that caused the problem I described in my last post.
(2) Software Update from 10.6.5 owned my computer. Had to reformat.
(3) Using the 10.6.6 combo pack instead of 10.6.5 combo pack in the step mentioned in this tutorial worked!!!!
(4) Ethernet works. I'm getting DW1510 soon and will test that. I have not tested other stuff like bluetooth, sleep, etc.
(5) Have not yet been able to buy/download things from App Store. More research to be done.
EDIT: To be explicit, using the "Software Update" feature when clicking on apple caused break. Downloading the 10.6.6 combo pack from (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/...66-update.html) did work.
Im trying to install this to a ext HD via usb. I can boot into setup and select which drivers i need. the setup starts but at 11% stops working. a screen tells me I need to restart the installation.
is this because im installing it to a USB HD?
it gets to 10% and says cant install necessary support files. than all i can do is reboot. any idea?
If you're installing on a HD and not an alienware m11x, why are you posting in this thread?
I just ordered my M11x and got the additional Bluetooth. However, I can't seem to get it recognized.. I did the plist edit but still nothing. Anyone else have this or can they help out. Could I have a different ID for my bluetooth? Nothing found in Network or Sharing and it's turned on in bios.
I'm on 10.6.6 with minimum kexts, gorgeous sound, qe/ci, .... anything you could possibly need.
I'll tell you now the version I did was a little more complicated instead of using a Distro (I used a purchased snow leopard disc). I am more than willing to let you know what I've been through but here's some tips.
1.VOODOOHDA 2.2 and Pref Pane - Use this one as it's the best sound and all ports work.
2.If you are going vanilla and using Iboot.. you wont' see video on startup but using -V will give you video and sound will be temporarily working without kext (thanks to Iboot).
3. If USB emulation is turned on... it is the ONLY way I could get an external disk drive to be used to install OSX. HOWEVER, in my case it took my usb 2.0 drive and reverted back to 1.0 speeds.... that means OSX was installed instead of 18 minutes... try 1 hour + :)... LOL. Slow and steady won the race however.
Originally Posted by GosuSheep
I figured it out!!
way to much to type. lol
long story short, i got it to work. then screwed up. fresh install of windows, partitioned the HD. Threw osx in and booted with -v -x. I got a firewire FFFFFFFFF error. Rebooted into the bios and disabled the firewire. everything installed fine.
If i disable the firewire prior to the first install, it wont load the setup. it will say looking for root device. very weird. so pretty much i had to get the firewire error first, then disable firewire in the bios for everything to install correctly.
took almost 3hrs to figure this out. let hope i dont screw it up a 3rd time..uhg!
well after going over step 15 i get a KP org.voodoo... something something. it wont boot. if i dont use -v -x on start up, it just tells me to turn off the computer in diff languages. UHG
Im going to try to reinstall over the first install..let see what happens.
any ideas why this happened?