OSX 10.6.1 Snow Leopard Installation for Toshiba NB205
Sound - Speaker, headphone jack and internal microphone
Graphics - Core Image and Quartz Extreme enabled
Webcam - Skype works (and only Skype) [UPDATE: iUSBCam works to enable iChat video [Thanks to jstanks for the tip]
The keyboard keys ~ and ` work properly now vs. 10.5.8
WiFi works w/ swapped out card - I used Dell 1510
Native CPU throttling power management (works even after sleep/wake - Verified with CPU-i by Mojodojo)
Tap to click (but you can't turn it off -- VoodooPS2 for SL might fix that, but I'm happy with it as-is)
Battery meter works most of the time, but then randomly shows "X" other times.
Photo Booth video
My SL 10.6.1 Package [http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/83940/NB205_SL_Package.zip]
myHack 1.0 RC3 installer [myHack Blog Archive myHack Installer 1.0 RC3 Released]
CamTwist driver [http://allocinit.com/images/b/b6/CamTwist-2.1.dmg]
Another mac to build the USB installer drive
1) From a working OSX installation, restore Snow Leopard (10A432) iso to your USB device that is formatted with an MBR partition table.
2) Use the myHack Installer 1.0 RC3 to prep USB installer device for booting, taking care to:
- *FIRST* click "Change Install Location" & point it to your USB device
- Click Customize & leave everything as it is EXCEPT ALSO select PS2Controller
- On USB device, browse to and delete IOATAFamily.kext from /system/library/extensions (this will keep us from a kernel panic when booting from this USB device)
4) Make sure your NB205 BIOS has AHCI and Legacy USB enabled. Boot, hitting F12 & booting from SL USB installation media. This may take a few minutes to boot up & then graphics will have low resolution. This is OK for now.
6) Run Disk Utility from the menu & format destination disk as GUID / Mac OS Extended Journaled. Then Install -- taking care to Customize and remove printers and languages first. Add quicktime 7, because it's better than the funky new one.
7) Installation will eventually stop around 7 minutes left and then say that it failed. This is OK! Keep on going:
8) Now, here's the trick. We need to delete /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext again -- but this time from our new install. I booted back into the SL installer from USB, ran Terminal from the menu, browsed to the freshly installed drive under /Volumes, and deleted the kext. (Yes, we lose ATA support, but it's no big deal for us on the NB205 and MUCH better than the kernel panic you'll get otherwise. Your internal SATA and external USB will still work flawlessly.)
8) Now reboot, but use the bootloader from your USB media again (hitting F12 and picking the USB device). Then at the bootloader's graphical menu, select your freshly installed drive to startup.
9) Booting will be very slow due to lack of a proper kextcache. Graphics will be low-res. Run through the SL setup wizard.
10) Run myHack 1.0 RC3 again, and install it to your new SL drive
- customizing w/ PS2Controller, and DISABLING FrameBufferDisabler.kext
- Then, without rebooting:
- Add GREY and YELLOW kexts from my package to /Extra/CustomExtensions
- Add the RED smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist into /Extra, overwriting the ones that are there. This makes the machine masquerade as a MacBookAir & therefore enables remote disc, and it supposedly emulates the GMA950 better.
- Open Terminal & run 'sudo /pfix'. It was dropped into the root of your drive by the myHack installer. Follow the directions to fix your permissions & rebuild your kextcaches.
12) Reboot, enter BIOS and disable Legacy USB support (not sure if this is required). Then boot to your new working 10.6 installation!
13) Install VoodooHDA prefpane from package by double-clicking it.
14) Run Software Update and install 10.6.1. (if desired)
15) System will come back up with low-res graphics. Use the included PURPLE 10.6.1 AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kexts. Put them into /System/Library/Extensions, overwriting the two that are currently in there. (I couldn't get it to work by putting them in /Extra/CustomExtensions). Then, REMOVE all the GRAY graphics kexts we originally placed into /Extra/CustomExtensions.
16) Start Terminal & run 'sudo /pfix'. I had to run it twice here to take for some reason. Repair disk permissions with Disk Utility. Reboot to fixed graphics.
17) Drop the GREEN patched dsdt.aml file into /Extra. This should enable proper sleep, lid closing detection, HPET for CPU power mgmt. Reboot.
- Disable hibernate w/ 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0' and 'sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage'
- Re-enable legacy USB support in BIOS -- it's no longer an issue for sleep like it was in Leopard
- Install CamTwist driver for Skype video (note: CamTwist app must be running at the same time as Skype)
- Enable enhanced speedstepping CPU power management with CoolBook [http://www.coolbook.se/]
- Change or remove select graphics from /Extra/Themes/Default to customize or ditch myHack's defaults
More info and caveats:
- SoundSource is very useful to easily switch between audio outputs [Rogue Amoeba | Freebies: Free software for Mac OS X/]
- The dsdt.aml was made for BIOS v1.20, not sure if it will work for newer BIOS [Update: BIOS v1.60 works just fine]
- USB7 will probably remain OFF after sleep. This is due to a DSDT setting that allows sleep to work. I'm sure sure what USB7 is though, maybe bluetooth?
- Sound has static noise in it after waking from sleep
- The 27ae.sh script is used to patch the GMA950 graphics kexts when Apple upgrades them again (For 10.6.2, etc…)
- Conti for his myHack installer
- Sound from Slice's great voodooHDA work (package includes Slice's version 0.2.43): Voodoohda Driver - Project OS X Forums
- Graphics kexts and patch script from: Snow Leopard Kexts for Netbooks | Prasys' Blog
- EvOSX86 Team's awesome DSDT patcher [Evosx86 Blog Archive DSDT simple editor V1.2.4 (Translated to English)]
- Random folks who post DSDT patches for other netbooks
Pretty sweet for my first post! ;)