Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1727282930313233343536373839404142434445464757 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 621
Discuss Mac OS X Leopard on Toshiba NB205 Netbook at the Tutorials - Hackint0sh.org; I have a brand new virgin hard drive (100GB Hitachi HTS722010K9SA00, 7200RPM $39.95 at Central ...
  1. #361
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Where's com.apple.Boot.plist?

    I have a brand new virgin hard drive (100GB Hitachi HTS722010K9SA00, 7200RPM $39.95 at Central Computer) to try this on. I already had the 2GB RAM upgrade thanks to Crucial.com.

    I've tried cannontrane's instructions with iDeneb v1.5 (v1.3 was taking forever, so I stopped it-may have to get it to try wingzero619's steps), but when I swap in the iDeneb v1.5 DVD, I get stuck in a loop asking for /library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.

    I got cannontrane's ToshNB205Boot132.iso and started that and then added a retail OS X 10.5 DVD but got the same error looking for com.apple.Boot.plist.

    Is this the loop that others have mentioned somewhere in these 36 pages of comments? I'll search and see. Other than that, any help with explicit instructions for using that Boot-132 ISO with a retail DVD would be helpful. I like knowing *exactly* what I'm supposed to do because I'm enough over my head I can't wing it. For example, the instructions at New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs - InsanelyMac Forum just say "Boot to ISO, then swap, then boot to retail, then swap back in ISO and After install, boot using CD boot again and install .kext needed...and usual files." I'm sorry, but I'm too confused and twisted around to know what that means. Just the kexts on the Boot-132 ISO? A retelling of the steps and the files needed would be great. I would be happy even to restructure a tutorial with all the needed pieces.

    Now to see if I can solve this loop issue.
    EDIT: Nope, that's a loop at the transfer phase. I can't even boot to a retail DVD or a iDeneb v1.5 DVD.

    Help? I can get XP, OpenSolaris, Linux Mint and Kubuntu all working harmoniously with a universal GRUB /boot partition on a Dell D630, but I have stonewalled here with this stuff, especially since I can't even seem to get started.
    Last edited by calibre97; 08-21-2009 at 06:37 AM. Reason: New information!


  2. #362
    wingzero619
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calibre97 View Post
    I have a brand new virgin hard drive (100GB Hitachi HTS722010K9SA00, 7200RPM $39.95 at Central Computer) to try this on. I already had the 2GB RAM upgrade thanks to Crucial.com.

    I've tried cannontrane's instructions with iDeneb v1.5 (v1.3 was taking forever, so I stopped it-may have to get it to try wingzero619's steps), but when I swap in the iDeneb v1.5 DVD, I get stuck in a loop asking for /library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.

    I got cannontrane's ToshNB205Boot132.iso and started that and then added a retail OS X 10.5 DVD but got the same error looking for com.apple.Boot.plist.

    Is this the loop that others have mentioned somewhere in these 36 pages of comments? I'll search and see. Other than that, any help with explicit instructions for using that Boot-132 ISO with a retail DVD would be helpful. I like knowing *exactly* what I'm supposed to do because I'm enough over my head I can't wing it. For example, the instructions at New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs - InsanelyMac Forum just say "Boot to ISO, then swap, then boot to retail, then swap back in ISO and After install, boot using CD boot again and install .kext needed...and usual files." I'm sorry, but I'm too confused and twisted around to know what that means. Just the kexts on the Boot-132 ISO? A retelling of the steps and the files needed would be great. I would be happy even to restructure a tutorial with all the needed pieces.

    Now to see if I can solve this loop issue.
    I gave cannontrane's tut a try but couldn't get it to work. I read the what you get out of it and if I'm not mistaken, the only difference between his install method and mine is he can get the mic to work. I just use an external USB headset with mic attached if I wanted to use iChat or something. Since you want a step by step by the book install, use my static tutorial. It will tell you exactly what you need to do. Cheers!

  3. #363
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Thanks wingzero...getting iDeneb v1.3 now

    That's really the only reason I tried the route I did first...iDeneb v1.5 finished downloading first!

    Once I have iDeneb v1.3, I'll try it. I have your Essentials package and I think everything else I could need so tomorrow morning...or evening by the looks of this torrent...I'll give your steps a try.

    Any thoughts on the missing plist file? Is it a problem that I have a completely virgin drive? Should I boot to something and initialize it or prep it in some way?
    Last edited by calibre97; 08-21-2009 at 07:03 AM.

  4. #364
    BJS
    BJS is offline
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hey guys,

    I ran into the disabled airport problem today: I disabled my airport and rebooted a while later. This results in a situation where the airport is disabled in OSX, and enabling it doesn't work.

    However, I was able to fix it pretty easily. Here's the steps I took:
    1. Turn wifi off in BIOS and boot OSX
    2. Open network preferences and remove airport settings
    3. Reboot
    4. Turn wifi on in BIOS
    5. Boot other OS (I booted XP) to make sure the wifi card is running
    6. Boot OSX
    7. Add airport in network preferences

    I'm pretty sure that not all steps are neccessary. Probably just step 2, reboot, and step 7 are enough.

    Anyway, this saved me from having to do a reinstall ;-)

  5. #365
    BJS
    BJS is offline
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frogg View Post
    I have a triple boot Ubuntu NR / XP/ leopard and things work nicely.
    I started with XP and Ubuntu, and then resized the XP partition from Ubuntu with gparted. It seemed to be important to set the filesystem manually to "af" using fdisk, otherwise iDeneb would refuse to install. I installed iDeneb from USB (which I prepared using MacOS in vmware, yeah, a bit contrived).
    After successfull installation, grub was overwritten and the system booted directly into the first partition, XP. I started ubuntu from a stick to re-install grub in the MBR. I could not figure out how to start mac from grub, so instead I added it to the XP boot.ini as C:\chain0="Mac Os" and copied
    chain0 to the windows partition.
    Now if I want to select mac, I first have to select XP in grub, and then mac in the XP boot. Not elegant but working.
    I have a similar setup on my NB200: triple boot XP, OSX and Ubuntu. I posted about it in this forum a while ago.
    I installed OSX first, then XP, then Ubuntu. I can boot XP and Ubuntu directly from Grub. OSX boots in a two-step process: first select OSX in grub (which chainloads Chameleon), then select OSX in chameleon (or wait for the 3 sec timeout).
    I might remove the chameleon step later, but for now this works fine. I use the grub savedefault option, so whenever I reboot from one of the OS'es, it reboots back into the same OS.


  6. #366
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wingzero619 View Post
    I gave cannontrane's tut a try but couldn't get it to work. I read the what you get out of it and if I'm not mistaken, the only difference between his install method and mine is he can get the mic to work. I just use an external USB headset with mic attached if I wanted to use iChat or something. Since you want a step by step by the book install, use my static tutorial. It will tell you exactly what you need to do. Cheers!
    What. Am. I. Missing?!?! I boot to iDeneb v1.3 DVD and get a boot prompt. I hit enter or I type "-v -r" and then hit enter...doesn't matter. Response?
    "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.Slist' not found"

    Is there some kind of sooper sekret iDeneb v1.3 that I need to download, that includes this, now "S" list (where iDeneb v1.5 and retail disk complained of a missing plist)?

    My setup couldn't be any simpler.
    Toshiba NB205-n311 (white one)
    BLANK, fresh, virgin, just-out-of-the-anti-static-bag 100GB hard drive
    LG external USB DVD drive, connected and reachable and bootable
    Your files on an 8GB SDHC card sitting in the card reader waiting to be use.

    Your instructions state:
    1. One USB flash drive which has been preloaded with the Toshiba NB205 Essentials Package.
    -it's there, on the SDHC card waiting to be used.
    2. iDeneb v1.3
    -downloaded and burned to DVD. Nowhere have I seen instructions on what to do to doctor it up with a com.apple.Boot.p(or S)list file. Where do I get one? Do I need to open the iDeneb ISO and put the file (again, though, from where?) in and THEN burn the ISO?
    3. External USB DVD drive.
    For the iDeneb v1.3 install:
    -Turn on Toshiba NB205 //done.
    -Hit F12 //done
    -Choose to boot from external DVD drive //done
    -Press any key to boot from external dvd drive //didn't see where this comes in, but the DVD fires up and "Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11" starts up.
    -Run iDeneb v1.3

    Ah HA! Not so fast. I see:
    [ hd(128,0) Ethernet PXE Client ] in a white boxed bar followed by:
    "Press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options, or you can:" etc and then there's:

    boot: _

    If I hit enter, I see the aforementioned error about the missing Slist. Hmm. I wonder...why is it showing me Ethernet PXE client??? Shouldn't that be the DVD image? Or the hard drive?

    Do I need to do something to initialize the drive so it's visible? Is that the issue?
    UPDATE: I changed the boot order in the BIOS to move FDD (? why is that even there? Anyway) and LAN to the bottom so the order is HD, then CDROM, then SD, then LAN, then FDD. I'm booting to System Rescue CD v1.2.1 so I can format the drive as HFS. Maybe that'll work.

    UPDATE: Interesting. Using GParted, I tried to create a "mac" partition table and then format the whole drive as HFS+, but it kept stopping, saying I couldn't have overlapping partitions. So I started over and said create an msdos partition table and THEN i was able to format the drive as a single primary, HFS+ partition. Now to try booting to iDeneb v1.3 again to see if anything is recognized.

    UPDATE:Yumpin' Yoshiphat! Looks like it couldn't stand a blank drive. Now I see a grey screen with an Apple and the DVD spinning...oh wait, it stopped, maybe it's thinking? At least this is further along than before. If this gets anywhere, I'll reply with a new post to follow progress.
    Last edited by calibre97; 08-21-2009 at 05:49 PM.

  7. #367
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Looks like one step forward, and then BAM! Wall.

    No progress. Just a grey screen and no more activity from the DVD drive with iDeneb v1.3 DVD in it. I'll reboot and try again to see what happens.

    OK, boot order did appear to be the problem. Now I see the DVD in the white box. I hit F8 and type "-v -r" and stuff starts to happen.
    Here's where it's stuck:
    "BSM auditing present
    From path: "uuid".
    Waiting for boot volume with UUID xxxxxxxxxx(etc)
    Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderCLass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResource Match </key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>"

    Aaaaand that's it. Would this have something to do with the drive being msdos MBR but with an HFS+ formatted primary partition? Any suggestions for preparing the drive for this install?
    Last edited by calibre97; 08-21-2009 at 06:05 PM.

  8. #368
    wingzero619
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calibre97 View Post
    What. Am. I. Missing?!?! I boot to iDeneb v1.3 DVD and get a boot prompt. I hit enter or I type "-v -r" and then hit enter...doesn't matter. Response?
    "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.Slist' not found"

    Is there some kind of sooper sekret iDeneb v1.3 that I need to download, that includes this, now "S" list (where iDeneb v1.5 and retail disk complained of a missing plist)?

    My setup couldn't be any simpler.
    Toshiba NB205-n311 (white one)
    BLANK, fresh, virgin, just-out-of-the-anti-static-bag 100GB hard drive
    LG external USB DVD drive, connected and reachable and bootable
    Your files on an 8GB SDHC card sitting in the card reader waiting to be use.

    Your instructions state:
    1. One USB flash drive which has been preloaded with the Toshiba NB205 Essentials Package.
    -it's there, on the SDHC card waiting to be used.
    2. iDeneb v1.3
    -downloaded and burned to DVD. Nowhere have I seen instructions on what to do to doctor it up with a com.apple.Boot.p(or S)list file. Where do I get one? Do I need to open the iDeneb ISO and put the file (again, though, from where?) in and THEN burn the ISO?
    3. External USB DVD drive.
    For the iDeneb v1.3 install:
    -Turn on Toshiba NB205 //done.
    -Hit F12 //done
    -Choose to boot from external DVD drive //done
    -Press any key to boot from external dvd drive //didn't see where this comes in, but the DVD fires up and "Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11" starts up.
    -Run iDeneb v1.3

    Ah HA! Not so fast. I see:
    [ hd(128,0) Ethernet PXE Client ] in a white boxed bar followed by:
    "Press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options, or you can:" etc and then there's:

    boot: _

    If I hit enter, I see the aforementioned error about the missing Slist. Hmm. I wonder...why is it showing me Ethernet PXE client??? Shouldn't that be the DVD image? Or the hard drive?

    Do I need to do something to initialize the drive so it's visible? Is that the issue?
    UPDATE: I changed the boot order in the BIOS to move FDD (? why is that even there? Anyway) and LAN to the bottom so the order is HD, then CDROM, then SD, then LAN, then FDD. I'm booting to System Rescue CD v1.2.1 so I can format the drive as HFS. Maybe that'll work.

    UPDATE: Interesting. Using GParted, I tried to create a "mac" partition table and then format the whole drive as HFS+, but it kept stopping, saying I couldn't have overlapping partitions. So I started over and said create an msdos partition table and THEN i was able to format the drive as a single primary, HFS+ partition. Now to try booting to iDeneb v1.3 again to see if anything is recognized.

    UPDATE:Yumpin' Yoshiphat! Looks like it couldn't stand a blank drive. Now I see a grey screen with an Apple and the DVD spinning...oh wait, it stopped, maybe it's thinking? At least this is further along than before. If this gets anywhere, I'll reply with a new post to follow progress.
    You shouldn't have this much trouble following my instructions. Are you from the US? If you continue to have problems, I'll see if I can upload my ISO file so you can download the exact one I was using.

  9. #369
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Trouble is not your instructions, per se

    Quote Originally Posted by wingzero619 View Post
    You shouldn't have this much trouble following my instructions. Are you from the US? If you continue to have problems, I'll see if I can upload my ISO file so you can download the exact one I was using.
    Yes, I am US. Santa Clara, California in fact. The problems seem to be originating with the hard drive. I never seem to get anywhere substantial because the drive is in the way. The previous problem was user error, in that LAN appeared before CDROM in the boot order. I've fixed that and can get the DVD to start, but as I posted previously, there appears to be a problem with the state of my hard drive. It was virgin, but now I've put an msdos MBR on it (with GParted) and created a partition formatted as HFS+, the thinking being that iDeneb would prefer to see *something* there. Maybe that was a mistake on my part.

    If you wanted to post the ISO, that'd be great. My user name here works on both Yahoo and GMail if you wanted to send the location. However, I really think I just need to initialize/prep the drive somehow to get it ready. I'm not starting from the drive that came with the machine. Is there anything you can think of that I should do to 'prep' the drive? Is a DOS-based MBR ok? Should it be "mac" initialized? Should I try to set a "mac" initialization with GParted but NOT try to create a partition, letting OS X do it during install with Disk Utility?

    THESE are the questions, I think, that need to be answered before we even get to the ISO. Sorry for the confusion. Getting Linux installed is a breeze by comparison because it uses all the same stuff (MBR, etc) as Windows. I'm just flummoxed by the Mac-specific stuff and don't know how to perform some things here.

    UPDATE: I removed the formatted partiton and just had GParted create a partition table of type "mac" and rebooted. The iDeneb v1.3 that I have stops because it's waiting for boot volume with UUID blah-blah-blah-blah-blah. So it looks like it *is* an issue with the 1.3 ISO I have. Crap. I can't get torrents from here at work so I'm screwed until I find another torrent tonight and then download it and, thanks to Comcast throttling (I think), wait overnight for it to download. wingzero619, if you're able to make an ISO available for direct download, I'd greatly, greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by calibre97; 08-21-2009 at 08:13 PM.

  10. #370
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Yikes, I think I killed the thread.

    I'll have to try cannontrane's steps again with the iDeneb v1.5 DVD while I try to find another v1.3 ISO. Now that there's at least a partition table on the drive, maybe that'll be enough to get things going.

    UPDATE: Well, got farther with 1.5. Here are the instructions:
    -Burn NB205-SlimBuild-Preboot.iso to CD
    -Insert CD into USB CD/DVD Drive connected to NB205
    -Press F12 to select boot to CD, press enter
    -Wait for Init.img to load
    -Press F8
    -Press Esc
    -Switch CD out with iDeneb 1.5 DVD
    -Press enter (or type 9f then press enter)
    -Press F8
    -Type "-v -f" and press enter
    -Watch and wait (or grab some coffee!)

    Except for that last part. I got a kernel panic instead.
    For what it's worth on the 1.5 attempt, here's what's at the bottom of the screen when it dies:
    BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

    Mac OS version:
    Not yet set

    Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec 6 19:39:54 IST 2008; Voodoo; Release 1.0 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

    Obviously not all things are created equal. I have a non-shipped RAM module and a new hard drive. Everything else, even the wireless because I'm not about to swap that out until I get OSX at least installed, is stock, plain, standard. A whole bunch of you have been able to get things installed and working to some degree. Yet here I am not even able to start a lousy install, with either 1.3 or 1.5.

    I just don't understand. If anyone has the patience, I'd sure appreciate some help. This isn't all that out of the ordinary for someone to try: new harddrive, 2GB RAM upgrade. I am fully and completely willing to chalk all this up to stupid user error.
    Last edited by calibre97; 08-22-2009 at 12:06 AM.


 

 

LinkBacks (?)


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 11:35 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 11:35 PM
  4. Snow Leopard super slow on Toshiba NB255 netbook
    By AnonymousR1 in forum Installation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2010, 03:56 PM
  5. OSX Leopard on Toshiba NB205 Netbook
    By wingzero619 in forum Tutorials
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 09:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:41 PM.
twitter, follow us!