[TurboSIM] Technical background ?
First thanks tho those who came up with the TS solution! I brought to life a week 45 OOB 1.1.2 US iPhone with bootloader 4.6 yesterday. After reading a few guides carefully, it was pretty painless and straightforward.
But I'm not usually one to just follow guides blindly. I want to know what's happening there. So here is how I understand this to work and my questions:
When done it says
(some digits replaced by xy to protect identity)
Following was set:
IMSI 08 39 01 14 10 xy xy xy xy
ICCID 98 10 14 30 12 41 xy xy xy xy
Apparently, the TurboSIM copies the International Mobile Subscriber ID (IMSI) and Integrated Circuit Card ID (ICCID) from the AT&T SIM and presents that to the iPhone later, when another SIM is in there. This way, the iPhone believes a real AT&T SIM is inside.
- a) The IMSI and ICCID sent to the mobile network should be the ones from the actual SIM used so it functions properly in its home network, correct?
b) When the iPhone connects to iTunes, doesn't it transmit the ICCID to Apple to determine the status of this SIM? I always assumed so, but if that was the case, Apple would be able to tell that this SIM has never been activated and could refuse to work with it. So is it transmitted or not?
- The background for this is: I have 4 phones and 4 TurboSIM. Would I be able to cut only one AT&T card and use it to program all 4 TS? What happens when all 4 iPhones (all on T-Mobile US) go online at the same time? What happens when they connect to iTunes at the same time? Would T-Mo or Apple notice the identical IMSI/ICCID and smell something fishy?
- Is there more to TS than copying IMSI/ICCID? If not, would it be possible to enter these values from the other AT&T cards manually? It seems so:
But responses there are mixed and instructions are gone.
- Also, I noticed in the display above the digits within each pair are flipped. The real ICCID starts with 89 01 41 ... Any reason for that?
- Then I assumed the IMSI is also flipped. Flipping back, I get 80 93 10 41 01... and sure enough, I find the MCC and MNC (310 410) for the AT&T network beginning at digit 4. However, MCC+MNC are supposed to be right at the beginning and the IMSI 15 digits long: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...riber_Identity So what is the 809 in the beginning there bringing the IMSI to 18 digits?
- What exactly do all the apps I ran actually do?
- What are all the other options I have now under SIM Applications? For example under Setup->TurboSMS? Or under Applesaft->Exploitable, it just says "Game over" with a sad smiley. What is that?
- How do I install and use other SIM apps? There seem to be some pretty cool ones out there for TS, like Flash SMS: http://www.votech.com.au/bladox_appl....htm#Flash_SMS
I'd appreciate answers from someone who really knows, rather than guesswork. Or at a pointer in the right direction where I can learn on my own. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything useful. Thanks!