Here's the official word on supported formats from Apple's site:
Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
If so, then yes, you should be able to use a Cingular SIM with your iPhone after activating it this way. Basically, after you activate using iNdependence, you should be able to use any AT&T SIM card (even a pay-as-you-go one).
I've noticed that when the phone locks the display, I can't SSH into it. So I've had to set my phone so that it doesn't lock the display automatically. I think that when it locks the display, it also turns off the WiFi connection to save battery (not sure), so this would essentially disable SSH.
And no, you don't have to return the phone to jail.
So the SSH install went fine? You rebooted twice and everything worked?
The only other thing I've found with SSH is that, if you have ever connected to another device at the same IP address as your iPhone via SSH, then the SSH client will complain about the fact that the key has changed and won't let you connect. Unfortunately, I've found that most GUI-based SSH clients won't report this information to you and will just say that the connection failed.
When using the command-line SSH client, you simply need to remove the entry corresponding to your iPhone's IP address from ~/.ssh/known_hosts. This, of course, could be different for GUI-based SSH clients.
If all that doesn't help, then you can try installing SSH again. Installing it multiple times won't cause problems as it will just keep overwriting the same files. The only thing is that you'll run into the key changed issue every time you reinstall.
Guys, the website is blocked in my country... i am sure it has some nasty links...
can someone help me with another link? i searched the net, but the file name is easily mixed with iPhone "Independence Day" when it was first activated...
if you can't have another link please someone email the prog to ahmedm gmail account...
0p, can you do it?
Just released version 1.1. Lots of new stuff in this release. From the CHANGELOG file:
Please test this version out and report any problems.v1.1 - 09/06/07
- Added ability to add/remove applications to/from the phone. This includes setting the correct permissions and restarting Springboard
- Added Finder-like interface for adding ringtones, wallpapers, and applications. Uses buttons or drag and drop. Shows preview images for wallpaper files and application icons.
- Added "Restore PEM File" button which allows users to restore the original PEM file back onto their phone (useful when trying to undo all modifications for a firmware update)
- Added "Remove SSH" button for same reason
- Jailbreak has been verified to work on Windows via a command-line application. In the process of adding some missing CF functionality so that activation will work too. It's getting closer...
I just moved everything to Google code so that it's easier to download and maintain.
have you looked at the issues everyone is having with iTunes 7.4 and iNdependence (and other jailbreak programs)