mishandled iphone 3g
have a 3g iphone that is not being updated via recovery mode due to incompatible firmware ...have tried many different versions, same problem occurs kindly advise this entire issue arises because i had a properly working iphone that only had a non working phone issue all else worked: wireless, applications, ipod all else PLEASE HELP if more info is needed kindly let me know THANKS THANKS P.S. all appls were working with SIM not inserted but when SIM was inserted, PIN was required 1 attempt left
Going to need a bit more information (as you anticipated)
1) What firmware is the iPhone 3G currently running?
2) What is the modem baseband / firmware revision?
3) What specific error message do you get when you attempt to restore the firmware?
4) Are you on an official carrier or attempting to use the phone on a non-official carrier by unlocking?
5) With regard to the SIM PIN request, is your SIM protected by a PIN code? Have you successfully used this specific SIM card in this or another phone previously?
This should be enough to start helping troubleshoot. You may want to (depending on the error you get when restoring) review the following and follow the instructions to post a useful restore log:
1.how do i determine firmware from iphone
2.how do i determine baseband / revision
3.error message says that the firmware is not compatible... this is after i have gone thru recovery mode via the itunes function
4. yes, trying to unlock
5. pin code yes, down to 1 final attempt
6. SIM card was not successfully used... iphone actually was functioning without SIM (all apps except the phone )
The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella should allow you to answer 1 and 2
Originally Posted by cyber19583
Posting your restore log should help with 3
Put your iPhone in DFU(hold power and home until you hear the beep and see the black screen, release power and hold home until you hear another beep and see the recovery mode message in iTunes. Hold shift & click restore to select your 3G firmware(1_2 should be the first numbers in the ispw file that you are restoring(not 1_1, 2_1, or 3_1). As long as you don't restore to the 4.1 firmware(ipsw file), you will keep your unlock.