Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Discuss upgrading 2G from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2 at the Redsn0w - Hackint0sh.org; The easiest way to upgrade a 2G from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2 is to use iTunes ...
  1. #1
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default upgrading 2G from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2

    The easiest way to upgrade a 2G from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2 is to use iTunes to update and then run redsn0w 0.9, right?



  2. #2
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    The easiest way to upgrade a 2G from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2 is to use iTunes to update and then run redsn0w 0.9, right?
    That *will* work but it is not the best way

    You should:
    1. Sync your content to your computer.
    2. use aptbackup or similar to backup your Cydia apps
    3. Take a copy of the iTunes backup from your last sync and keep it safe.
    4. Restore to OS 3.1.2 (100% safe on a 2G as the baseband is not upgraded)
    5. Jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9
    6. Set the iPhone up as new.
    7. Then sync your content back and restore any cydia apps you backed up via aptbackup
    8. Fix push if you hacktivated
    9. Optionally, manually selectively restore files from your earlier backup


    This will give you 100% stability and maximum free disk space.

    Upgrading will waste disk space (Cydia gets confused by iTunes upgrades and sets itself up as scratch each time, leaving parts of the previous install of Cydia orphaned). On a 32GB 3GS, this is not a huge issue but on an 8GB 2G, disk space is precious.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  3. #3
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    That *will* work but it is not the best way
    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    1. Fix push if you hacktivated
    Just to check as this has never been clear: I have the original AT&T SIM (although no corresponding active account), but having that inserted during the restore won't activate the 2G (as opposed to the 3G[S]), right? So I'll need to install the push certificates via Cydia?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    Just to check as this has never been clear: I have the original AT&T SIM (although no corresponding active account), but having that inserted during the restore won't activate the 2G, right?
    Has this SIM previously been activated with that 2G iPhone? I understand the SIM has no active account now. Apple only allows the 2G to be activated as an "iPod Touch" with an inactive AT&T SIM that was previously active on a contract tied to that phone.

    If, like me you have an AT&T SIM that came with the 2G and was NEVER activated on a legitimate contract then that SIM will prompt you to sign up for a contract in iTunes rather than activating your iPhone as an iPod Touch.

    In summary. a 2G iPhone can be used to legitimately activate in any of the three scenarios.

    Carrier/factory unlocked - activate with any SIM (not an option for AT&T phones), works as phone
    Carrier locked, active contract - activate with contract SIM, works as phone
    Carrier locked, previously active contract - activate with deactivated SIM, works as iPod touch

    Swapping SIMs after legitimate activation will trigger a reactivation and you need to connect the iPhone to iTunes again.

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    So I'll need to install the push certificates via Cydia?
    There are NO legitimate push certificates on Cydia! Legitimate certificates must be unique and originally come from Apple.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  5. #5
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    Has this SIM previously been activated with that 2G iPhone? I understand the SIM has no active account now. Apple only allows the 2G to be activated as an "iPod Touch" with an inactive AT&T SIM that was previously active on a contract tied to that phone.

    If, like me you have an AT&T SIM that came with the 2G and was NEVER activated on a legitimate contract then that SIM will prompt you to sign up for a contract in iTunes rather than activating your iPhone as an iPod Touch.
    Well, I was like you in that I had an AT&T SIM that came with the 2G but was never activated, but for a short period (less than 30 days) that phone was legitimately activated through AT&T. But no matter, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    There are NO legitimate push certificates on Cydia! Legitimate certificates must be unique and originally come from Apple.
    What I meant is that one could purchase a certificate from pushfix through Cydia. Are you aware of that solution? Otherwise, when you list "Fix push if you hacktivated," what did you have in mind?


  6. #6
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    Well, I was like you in that I had an AT&T SIM that came with the 2G but was never activated, but for a short period (less than 30 days) that phone was legitimately activated through AT&T. But no matter, right?
    I purchased my iPhone directly from Apple, it was never activated with AT&T and I paid no fees to AT&T whatsoever.

    If you activated with AT&T and had service, then cancelled the plan and you still have the same SIM card (now deactivated). This SIM should be able to activate legitimately as an iPod touch.

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    What I meant is that one could purchase a certificate from pushfix through Cydia. Are you aware of that solution? Otherwise, when you list "Fix push if you hacktivated," what did you have in mind?
    I had this guide in mind http://www.hackint0sh.org/f127/96716.htm

    Pushfix.info does work, originally it was using devteam utilities (without crediting the devteam) but with the version 2.0 option offered from Cydia it is all original code.

    Both pushfix.info and the thread above use the exact same technique (generate a certificate from legitimate activation, install it on a single hacktivated iPhone).

    The certificates from both are equally good. The difference is ideology (open solution - hackint0sh) (paid for solution with official customer support - pushfix.info)
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  7. #7
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    I purchased my iPhone directly from Apple, it was never activated with AT&T and I paid no fees to AT&T whatsoever.

    If you activated with AT&T and had service, then cancelled the plan and you still have the same SIM card (now deactivated). This SIM should be able to activate legitimately as an iPod touch.
    But that's not enough -- I want to activate the 2G legitimately as an iPhone. So I need to use the hackint0sh or pushfix.info procedures, right?

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    But that's not enough -- I want to activate the 2G legitimately as an iPhone. So I need to use the hackint0sh or pushfix.info procedures, right?
    Yes, that is correct
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  9. #9
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    The 2G is my wife's phone, and she probably doesn't care to upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2.

    Can I use redsn0w merely to install Cydia? (I had previously removed it with DiskAid)

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    The 2G is my wife's phone, and she probably doesn't care to upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2.

    Can I use redsn0w merely to install Cydia? (I had previously removed it with DiskAid)
    You can't do it just from DiskAid, it is possible if you have SSH installed. Get a copy of the most recent version of Cydia.deb and copy it to your /tmp folder on the iPhone using diskaid

    ssh into your iPhone and login as root

    dpkg -i /tmp/Cydia.deb
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrading 3G iOS 4.1 to 4.2.1
    By pconde in forum iOS 4.x (iPhone OS 4.x)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 09:35 AM
  2. help upgrading 3.0 to 3.1.2
    By angelko in forum iOS 3.x (iPhone OS 3.x)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 02:18 PM
  3. [1.1.2] upgrading to 1.1.4
    By mollaie in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 11:25 PM
  4. Upgrading from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1...
    By iWannaHack in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 11:53 PM
  5. upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2
    By biddy2008 in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 12:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:29 PM.
twitter, follow us!