Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Discuss Confused by iClarify instructions for Redsn0w at the Redsn0w - Hackint0sh.org; Originally Posted by duck9000 From the tutorial: "When downloading the IPSW file, it is best ...
  1. #1
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duck9000 View Post
    From the tutorial: "When downloading the IPSW file, it is best to download it with Firefox since Safari often auto extracts it"
    You are looking at a different tutorial to me then, I quote below -

    these are instructions on how to jailbreak your iPhone 3G on the 3.0 firmware using RedSn0w for Mac. The Windows version of this tutorial is here. The iPhone 2G version of this tutorial is here

    This tutorial can be used to jailbreak before applying the UltraSn0w unlock.

    Step One
    Create a folder on your desktop called Pwnage

    Download RedSn0w from here and place it in the Pwnage folder. Likewise, download the latest 3.0 firmware from below and place it in the same folder.

    3.0.0 (3G): iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

    Extract the redsn0w application from the RedSn0w zip file to the Pwnage folder.



  2. #2
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Confused by iClarify instructions for Redsn0w

    I am trying to do the Redsn0w jailbreak using the iClarify tutorial. It tells me to download the firmware from here -

    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

    When I do that I get a 230MB download, but when it gets unpacked on my Mac I get a set of folders without an ipsw file in sight. what am I doing wrong ?

  3. #3
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    you don't need to unpack the .ipsw file, that's the firmware.

  4. #4
    Administrator Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyd View Post
    I am trying to do the Redsn0w jailbreak using the iClarify tutorial. It tells me to download the firmware from here -

    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

    When I do that I get a 230MB download, but when it gets unpacked on my Mac I get a set of folders without an ipsw file in sight. what am I doing wrong ?
    that is why the tutorial said to use firefox to download.
    Safari download can cause some confusions for user
    ** If you just want to support hackint0sh.org with a donation click here **

  5. #5
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtube View Post
    that is why the tutorial said to use firefox to download.
    Safari download can cause some confusions for user
    Actually the iClarify tutorial does NOT say use Firefox. However, subsequent to that post I worked out myself what the problem is and switched off the Safari option to automatically unpack "safe" files. thanks anyway


  6. #6
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I'm still confused. I've now got a zipped ipsw file, but when I do an opt restore from iTunes it does not recognize it as a valid file I can restore. However if I unzip it I get the original set of folders not containing any ipsw files. What a mess. How do I just download the straightforward ipsw file

  7. #7
    Young Padawan Array duck9000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Outer Rim
    Posts
    2,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyd View Post
    Actually the iClarify tutorial does NOT say use Firefox. However, subsequent to that post I worked out myself what the problem is and switched off the Safari option to automatically unpack "safe" files. thanks anyway
    From the tutorial: "When downloading the IPSW file, it is best to download it with Firefox since Safari often auto extracts it"
    ** If you just want to support hackint0sh.org with a donation, please click here **.

  8. #8
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanis View Post
    you don't need to unpack the .ipsw file, that's the firmware.
    Do I therefore have to rename it without the zip extension for iTunes to recognize it ?

  9. #9
    Respected Professional Array madrich's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chicago: Home of the Spire!
    Posts
    578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyd View Post
    Do I therefore have to rename it without the zip extension for iTunes to recognize it ?
    Yes, download the zip file and rename the extension form ".zip" ".ipsw". This will also change the icon pic to the one you see on iclarified.

    BTW: There is a way to setup your Safari properties to stop the automatic extraction of files.
    Last edited by madrich; 06-24-2009 at 05:36 PM.
    Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    iPhone 2G with FW 3.1 and no MMS

  10. #10
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madrich View Post
    Yes, download the zip file and rename the extension form ".zip" ".ipsw". This will also change the icon pic to the one you see on iclarified.

    BTW: There is a way to setup your Safari properties to stop the automatic extraction of files.

    Thanks very much. However, that's a rather basic bit of information that really ought to be pointed out in the tutorial as I would expect to have to unpack a zip file before I could use it.

    Yes, I changed my Safari preferences after realizing the problem. Incidentally, just for information when you edited the post above it caused my own reply to you to crash.


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. redsn0w not recognizing IPSW, redsn0w 0.7.2
    By neonsonicboy in forum iPod Touch 2G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 05:09 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 05:03 AM
  3. Not too sure about iClarified's instructions
    By Lord Farkward in forum Quickpwn 3G
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 01:03 AM
  4. [1.1.4 (1.1.2 OTB)] revirginize unlocked from iclarify
    By ggonxhi in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM
  5. Where are the TurboSIM ISA instructions?
    By smersh in forum Turbo-, Supersim and Simcloning Solution
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 08:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:19 PM.
twitter, follow us!