A lot of people seem to be running into problems when they restore/upgrade (are these the same thing) to 2.2.1. It's gotten me a little worried. I'm currently on jailbroken 1.1.4 firmware.
Everybody seems to be using the iclarified tutorial:
iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)
hussain93 has posted a slightly different version:
1) Place ur iphone in DFU mode by the following method:
a. Connect the iPhone and your Mac/PC
b. Shut down iTunes
c. Hold Power/Sleep until the red slider shows up, slide to shut the iPhone down. If this aint work hold Power/Sleep and Home until the iPhone shuts down.
d. Hold Start/Sleep and Home for 10 seconds (I count like 100, 200, 300, ..)
e. Let go of Start/Sleep but keep holding Home until...
f. ... iTunes starts up and finds an iPhone in restore/recovery mode. The iPhone screen is black.
2) Download iphone 2.2.1 restore image from here---> http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw
3) Hold shift (windows)/option (mac) and click on restore in itunes, then locate the image u downloaded in step 2
4) Download quickpwn (windows) from here---> http://miphone.ca/iphone-dev/QuickPwn225-2.zip
5) Run quickpwn and follow the onscreen instructions to jailbreak/unlock. Unlocking via quickpwn is only possible if ur running on windows, on a mac u need to manually install bootneuter from cydia after activating/jailbreaking using quickpwn, or u could use pwnage tool instead of quickpwn.
Neither says anything about removing the SIM first but I've read this in other places. Is this correct?
Anyone have any thoughts on which version I should use?