Restore/upgrade to 2.2.1 - Which tutorial is better?
A lot of people seem to be running into problems when they restore/upgrade (are these the same thing) to 2.2.1. It's gotten me a little worried. I'm currently on jailbroken 1.1.4 firmware.
Everybody seems to be using the iclarified tutorial:
iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)
hussain93 has posted a slightly different version:
1) Place ur iphone in DFU mode by the following method:
a. Connect the iPhone and your Mac/PC
b. Shut down iTunes
c. Hold Power/Sleep until the red slider shows up, slide to shut the iPhone down. If this aint work hold Power/Sleep and Home until the iPhone shuts down.
d. Hold Start/Sleep and Home for 10 seconds (I count like 100, 200, 300, ..)
e. Let go of Start/Sleep but keep holding Home until...
f. ... iTunes starts up and finds an iPhone in restore/recovery mode. The iPhone screen is black.
2) Download iphone 2.2.1 restore image from here---> http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw
3) Hold shift (windows)/option (mac) and click on restore in itunes, then locate the image u downloaded in step 2
4) Download quickpwn (windows) from here---> http://miphone.ca/iphone-dev/QuickPwn225-2.zip
5) Run quickpwn and follow the onscreen instructions to jailbreak/unlock. Unlocking via quickpwn is only possible if ur running on windows, on a mac u need to manually install bootneuter from cydia after activating/jailbreaking using quickpwn, or u could use pwnage tool instead of quickpwn.
Neither says anything about removing the SIM first but I've read this in other places. Is this correct?
Anyone have any thoughts on which version I should use?
Simple - To the Point - Unlock 2.2.1 2G iPhone
I have done this several times with no problems ...
iPhone 2G 2.2.1 Unlock/jailbreak
2 Upgrade to latest version of iTunes
3 Turn on iPhone with O2 SIM inserted
4 Connect iPhone to laptop with USB cable/cradle
5 Startup iTunes and synchronise
6 Hold down the SHIFT key and click RESTORE
7 Find the file iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw
9 iPhone will now be in RECOVERY MODE “Emergency Calls Only”
10 DO NOT START UP ITUNES (This is were people are going wrong)
11 Run Quickpwn.exe
12 Follow instructions, the timings are not that critical, if you make a mistake, cancel, restart iPhone and start again from (11) read the instructions on the screen to get ready for the next button holds
13 When quickpwn states its all finished, leave the iPhone alone to complete and restart
14 Start up iTunes
15 Setup as NEW PHONE (important)
17 Turn iPhone off and insert another carriers sim to test