After reading MANY posts of people who are confused about installation/permissions, etc. - I'm trying to create one thread that contains all of the information you need. As a general rule of thumb, unless you have special requirements, I would only recommend installing normally through installer source, as this will set everything up correctly - if you do have special requirements that require you to manually move the application over, you can use kpavery's write-up here to set your permissions correctly viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168
Starting with a freshly restored phone (if it's not freshly restored, uninstall the SUIB Lib fix, summerboard and customize, if they are installed):
1. do whatever you do to make it run apps
2. install the BSD Subsystem (if not already installed)
3. install the SUID fix, if you are on firmware 1.1.3 or Later (listed under tweaks 1.1.3) [Edited]
4. install summerboard
5. launch summerboard, close summerboard
6. reboot the phone [Edit - added this step]
7. install customize 2.0 from installation source
8. launch customize, close customize
9. launch summerboard, set the theme to "customize", ensure both "theme wallpaper" and "wallpaper" are ON all others OFF (this is a little tricky on my phone, have to keep resetting them until they finally go...), close summerboard
10. launch summerboard and confirm that your settings are correct as mentioned in step 9, close summerboard
11. launch customize, download the theme you want, apply it to the phone, exit/respring and you should now see your theme installed
If your phone was not restored just prior to running this procedure, uninstall any SUID fix, summerboard, and customize currently installed, then start the procedure (if you already have the BSD subsystem running, you do not need to reinstall that part)...
I hope this helps some people - if any of this is incorrect, let me know and I'll update as necessary. Thanks again to kpavery and CreativeBlizzard for their input (much of this info is from them, I just repackaged it...).