Results 1 to 7 of 7
Discuss Ugraded 3gs from 4.01 to 4.2.1 and lost AT&T Activation. WHY? at the PwnageTool - Hackint0sh.org; I posted this as a comment to one of my previous posts and then deleted ...
  1. #1
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkeley
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Ugraded 3gs from 4.01 to 4.2.1 and lost AT&T Activation. WHY?

    I posted this as a comment to one of my previous posts and then deleted it because this is really new information.

    I finally got around to upgrading from 4.0.1 to 4.2.1 on my AT&T 3gs (old bootrom, 5.13.04; pwnagtool JB; ultrasn0w unlock). I built the custom ipsw with the appropriate version of Pwnagtool and put it into pwnag'd DFU mode at the end. "Activate the Phone" was selected in Pwnagtool. I restored with Option+Restore from backup in iTunes with the TSS server running on TinyUmbrella. It synced. So far so good. The phone successfully jailbroke and unlocked BUT I lost my AT&T activation (no carrier, no 3GS, no phone access). I read the post "Invalid SIM when switching SIM after activation + jailbreak + unlock" but this applies to iOS 4.0.1 not 4.2. Since this is an AT&T phone and probably doesn't need hactivation, what do I do to get the AT&T activation back? I'm holding off doing anything until I hear from you guys.
    Later that same day:
    Having not read a response in several hours (it was late in CEDT) I went ahead and restored back to 4.0.1 using option+restore using the apple ipsw and restored from backup with the TSS server running. The phone switched to Danish (old post) but when I restored from the backup, plus using pkgbackup everything returned to my pre-4.2.1 state i.e. fully functional. I used jailbreakme.com + ultrasn0w to unlock at 4.0.1. Whew!

    What did I do wrong? Should "Activate this Phone" have been unchecked since the phone is already activated with AT&T? I don't usually upgrade until there is a need and some of my apps won't update because they need at least iOS v4.2. I believe it was Olethros who warned me off of 4.3 due to stability concerns. I have complete shsh blobs saved, all versions of Pwnagtool and all versions of ipsws so I can install almost any iOS I want. I also do regular backups of my backups. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs to restore the phone so I'd like to figure this out rather than fishing for a solution.

    BTW, I hope this the right place to post this. Searching for "no activation 4.2 upgrade" yielded no results. My apologies if this has already been answered. in that case, please just point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
    Thanks,
    John
    PS I checked Pwnagtool again and it's possible that I did not put it in pwnag'd DFU mode. When it finished building the custom ipsw, it took me through the home+power buttons for 10s then home button for 5s. But I saw a DFU button on the title bar. Did I really put it in pwnag'd DFU or manual DFU?
    Last edited by tympani; 08-02-2011 at 08:49 AM.



  2. #2
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tympani View Post
    custom ipsw with the appropriate version of Pwnagtool and put it into pwnag'd DFU mode at the end. "Activate the Phone" was selected in Pwnagtool. I restored with Option+Restore from backup in iTunes with the TSS server running on TinyUmbrella. It synced. So far so good. The phone successfully jailbroke and unlocked BUT I lost my AT&T activation (no carrier, no 3GS, no phone access).
    Are you using the phone in the US with an AT&T sim card? If so.. you need to build the custom IPSW with "Activate the phone" off.
    Another option is to use a recent version of redsn0w that has the option to deactivate the phone (it won't re-jailbreak, but will just deactivate the phone). Then iTunes can activate it properly. This may have saved you from multiple restores to get the phone working again.

    Quote Originally Posted by tympani View Post
    I believe it was Olethros who warned me off of 4.3 due to stability concerns.
    What I was trying to say is that 4.3.x is very bloated and on devices with only 256MB of RAM things are tighter than ever. Hoping that as Apple have committed to supporting iOS5 on the 3GS, they will optimize some of the bloat out before release (but I don't hold much hope). I'm not sure whether my more frequent unexpected crashes/resprings on my 4.3.3 device are due to low ram, or bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by tympani View Post
    PS I checked Pwnagtool again and it's possible that I did not put it in pwnag'd DFU mode. When it finished building the custom ipsw, it took me through the home+power buttons for 10s then home button for 5s. But I saw a DFU button on the title bar. Did I really put it in pwnag'd DFU or manual DFU?
    If iTunes accepted the custom IPSW, then you were in pwned DFU mode.
    The guide at the end of pwnagetool will put the device into pwned DFU mode. However it is important you selected the right device when you started Pwnagetool. For example if you selected an iPod touch and built a custom IPSW for that, then suddenly decided you wanted to enter pwn DFU on your 3GS (and restore a previously made custom IPSW) then unpredictable things could occur.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  3. #3
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkeley
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Once again you got it spot on! I recreated the 4.2.1 custom IPSW with the "Activate the phone" switched OFF. Put it into pwnaged DFU mode. When it finished installing the IPSW on the phone, my phone number appeared in iTunes and the carrier was restored on the phone. Although once again, the iPhone was in Danish - the message "gendannelese i gang" appeared on the phone, which I assume translates to: "synchronization in progress" (my Danish is non-existent). However, when the Restore from Backup was done in iTunes, the phone returned to English. I let Cydia do a complete package update and then used PKGbackup (well worth the $7) to restore my settings. Then ultrasn0w and everything works (and my blau.de SIM finds service too).

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    Are you using the phone in the US with an AT&T sim card? If so.. you need to build the custom IPSW with "Activate the phone" off.
    Another option is to use a recent version of redsn0w that has the option to deactivate the phone (it won't re-jailbreak, but will just deactivate the phone). Then iTunes can activate it properly. This may have saved you from multiple restores to get the phone working again.
    Yes, I have a US AT&T GSM phone that I take to Germany 2-3x/year. I use a prepaid blau.de SIM when there (Ä10 for 1GB internet/month- ~100x cheaper than AT&T roaming). This is the reason I need an unlocked phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    If iTunes accepted the custom IPSW, then you were in pwned DFU mode.
    The guide at the end of pwnagetool will put the device into pwned DFU mode. However it is important you selected the right device when you started Pwnagetool. For example if you selected an iPod touch and built a custom IPSW for that, then suddenly decided you wanted to enter pwn DFU on your 3GS (and restore a previously made custom IPSW) then unpredictable things could occur.
    The IPSW version (4.2.1) is linked to the Pwnagtool version (4.2) so I can never get that wrong. Since I only have an iPhone, I would never built a custom IPSW for anything but that but it's always good advice to pay close attention when working on the device.

    One final question: When I did the "option+Restore from backup" the original backed-up backup that I dropped into the MobileSync/Backup directory before all this happened wasn't recognized. Only two others: 1) when I did the failed upgrade to 4.2.1 and 2) when I returned to 4.0.1. Did I perhaps copy the backup too late? (Yes, I clicked off the phone and back onto it in iTunes). But putting the directory for this backup in the "Backup" folder wasn't enough for iTunes to see it. Any ideas what I did wrong? Can I just put my backed-up backups in the MobileSync/Backup folder and have iTunes automatically recognize them?

    Many many thanks for your help!
    (and my sincerest condolences to you and your fellow Norwegians from the uncivilized country that sold that sociopath the ammunition)
    John

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tympani View Post
    Can I just put my backed-up backups in the MobileSync/Backup folder and have iTunes automatically recognize them?
    Normally, yes - but generally if the backup is from a newer iOS version than is currently on the phone iTunes won't let you restore the backup.

    Different versions of iTunes have changed the backup format also. Normally this is in conjunction with an iTunes update to support a major x.0 iOS release (4.0, 5.0 etc)
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  5. #5
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkeley
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    Normally, yes - but generally if the backup is from a newer iOS version than is currently on the phone iTunes won't let you restore the backup.

    Different versions of iTunes have changed the backup format also. Normally this is in conjunction with an iTunes update to support a major x.0 iOS release (4.0, 5.0 etc)
    Upward compatibility makes sense. I must have done something wrong to make the one I tried not work. I'll be more careful.

    BTW, I usually avoid updating iTunes (I'm still at 10.1.2). I read somewhere that Apple may make things difficult to Jailbreak on later versions. Is this true or should I update.


  6. #6
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tympani View Post
    Upward compatibility makes sense. I must have done something wrong to make the one I tried not work. I'll be more careful.

    BTW, I usually avoid updating iTunes (I'm still at 10.1.2). I read somewhere that Apple may make things difficult to Jailbreak on later versions. Is this true or should I update.
    Musclenerd usually tweets whether an iTunes version is safe or not within 24 hours of their release. All publicly released versions of Itunes (up to 10.4 at the time of writing) are safe to use with a jailbroken phone.
    Apple historically has not blocked jailbreak by changing iTunes (except for the Spirit jailbreak, which relied on a specific iTunes version to work)
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  7. #7
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkeley
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    In that case maybe I'll just update.

    Incidentally, Iím noticing that 4.2 must have bug fixes in it. Fewer apps execute the "crash on launch" command and the OS seems generally more stable than 4.0. And battery drain is normal (unlike at 4.1). Great. Thanks again.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Lost activation on JB phone, how to recover
    By Ullern in forum iPhone 3GS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 11:54 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM
  3. [Problem] Backup lost. I lost all my contacts
    By riyadhNY in forum iPhone 3G
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 06:50 PM
  4. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 02:03 PM
  5. Iphone 1.1.2 OTB ugraded to 1.1.3 and unlocked
    By evenaar in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 12:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:41 AM.
twitter, follow us!