Pwnagetool *unofficial* tutorial: iOS4.0
Hello ladies and gents. I will try to be as accurate and complete as I can for those of you looking for information regarding how to Jailbreak and Unlock your iPhone 3G/3GS. I will also explain further in parenthesis what the Dev-Team is trying to state.
First of all lets go through what is required as per Dev-Team so you do not 'brick" your iPhone or get an error code. As per the Dev-Team:
"PwnageTool 4.0 only recognizes the official IPSWs that came out yesterday. (Official IPSW is the 4.0 update you can download from iTunes)
If you had developer access to the “4.0 GM” IPSWs, do not try to use those.
Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom. (OLD BOOT ROM is iPhone 3GS with Serial Number that is lower than xx940. You can find this on your iPhone>Settings>About>Serial Number. If your BOOTROM is below week 40 of 2009 which you can tell by looking at the 3rd, 4th and 5th digit then this Jailbreak/Unlock will work for you
* If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
* If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
* If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
* If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
* If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
* As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
Basically if you have jailbroken with Spirit then do not use this Jailbreak/Unlock method!
Some basic terminology:
a) Jailbreak - To enable third party software to be installed on to your iPhone
b) Unlock/Activate - To enable different carriers around the world with SIM cards to work on your iPhone (Without Jailbreaking your iPhone first, you will not be able to Unlock/Activate your iPhone)
c) PwnageTool - Jailbreaks your iPhone
d) ultran0w - Unlocks your iPhone
e) Bootrom - Your iPhone Device Serial Number and Model Number
f) IPSW - The Extension of your iPhone Firmware Software upgrade (ex. iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw)
g) DFU/Recovery Mode - How to put your iPhone in to DFU/Recovery mode: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
Here are the steps:
1. Connect your iPhone 3G/3GS to iTunes via USB cable to your Mac and download OS4 but do not install or update your iPhone via iTunes!.
Disconnect your iPhone 3G/3GS until the download is complete from iTunes.
2. Reconnect your iPhone 3G/3GS via USB Cable to your Mac once the download is complete and put your iPhone in to recovery mode.
3. Downloaded Pwnagetool from the dev-team website on your mac:
Dev-Team Blog - foursome news
unofficial mirror: http://www.blogiphone.fr/PwnageTool_4.01.dmg
4. Extract the .dmg file and save it on your desktop
5. Followed the instructions on Pwnagetool application, best to choose Simple Mode. Click your platform [iPhone 3G/3GS] image. Click continue [The right arrow button]
6. Pwnagetool will automatically locate the iOS4.0 ipsw you downloaded from iTunes and create a custom firmware.
This will take about 40-45 mins for the custom firmware to be completed. Try not to do excessive computer task during this process and do not let your computer go to sleep or turn off. Just leave your computer alone for these crucial minutes.
7. After the custom firmware is completed, you can exit out of Pwnagetool. Turn your iPhone off by holding down the power button on top and Slide to turn off.
8. With your iPhone connected to your Mac and with your iTunes open, now you will have to get in to recovery mode. Hold both the Power and Home button at the same time and let go of the power button while holding on to the home button after 5 seconds.
9. On your iTunes it should say in Recovery mode, Press and hold "Option" on your keyboard and with your mouse click the restore button, open the custom firmware you've just created should be located on your desktop and let iTunes do the rest.
10. Once OS4 is successfully installed, go to settings and change AUTO Lock to NEVER and turn off 3G and connect to wifi network. Now click Cydia, might take a couple of tries to open cydia and click search and search for 'ultrasn0w' and install the unlock.
(If you are unable to find ultrasn0w in the search, then click MANAGE>SOURCES>EDIT>ADD>http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com and press ADD SOURCE. Once done, let Cydia finish reloading and then tap Search and search for ultrasn0w and tap install.)
11. Restart your iPhone 3G/3GS and you should be all set :)
Setting up Cellular Data/MMS/Tethering for T-Mobile:
Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network
MMS Proxy: 188.8.131.52:8080
MMS UA Prof URL:
iPhone 3GS [OLD BOOTROM] > iOS4.0 Custom Firmware by PWNAGETOOL > Unlock by ultrasn0w.
Got questions? Ask me or PM me!
If you like this post and find this tutorial helpful click here: http://www.hackint0sh.org/reputation.php?p=570452