Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Discuss Noob with new phone and basic question at the PwnageTool - Hackint0sh.org; Good evening. I have previously jailbroken iphone 2Gs, using pwnage, so am basically familiar with ...
  1. #1
    Supporter Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Noob with new phone and basic question

    Good evening.

    I have previously jailbroken iphone 2Gs, using pwnage, so am basically familiar with the procedure.

    However, I just bought a new 3gs -- still in its box -- with a plan from a cell company. If I want the phone to be jailbroken, couls someone please tell me what are the steps I should follow?

    I was assuming:
    1. Get the latest version of itunes for my Mac.
    2. Hookup and charge phone; register it and open itunes account.
    3. Major Question: Should I accept any prompts from itunes to update the phone's software?
    4. Follow regular pwnage procedure to jailbreak the phone, via a custom 3.1.2 firmware

    As a more general question, assuming I update both the firmware and baseband, both to Apple's latest versions through itunes, can I still jailbreak the phone through pwnage 3.14?

    Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by rrpalma; 11-26-2009 at 06:49 AM.



  2. #2
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    If you have a brand new 3GS, the first thing you should do, before you even connect it to iTunes is to put it in DFU and get the bootrom version and ECID.

    PwnageTool 3.1.4 for Mac OS X

    Decision time comes if iBoot version is iBoot-359.3.2 this means pwnagetool can't jailbreak the iPhone. You will need to use blackra1n to jailbreak and then run blackra1n again each time you restart the iPhone to kickstart the boot process.

    If you have an older iBoot or you decide to live with the blackra1n solution for now (a fix may come - no one is promising anything)

    Then use the ECID with The Firmware umbrella http://www.hackint0sh.org/f203/87785.htm to get your ECID SHSH for 3.1.2 (apple has blocked retrieval of this for older OS versions). This will be very important for jailbreaking 3.2 when it is released.

    To answer your questions...

    1. Yes latest version of itunes is fine
    2. Charge, register and setup is fine.
    3. Be careful with software updates. With the 3GS, it is possible a software update could permanently stop you from jailbreaking and also downgrading. This is why the ECID SHSH is so important. OS 3.1.2 is okay, anything newer than that is not. You cannot load older versions than 3.1.2 so if you got an iPhone with 3.1, if it crashes you have to upgrade to 3.1.2 to get it working again.
    4. Pwnage, I have explained the cases where it will not work. If you don't have that iBoot version, I recommend Pwnage
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  3. #3
    Supporter Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Excellent explanation!

    Excellent explanation -- Thanks!

    If I understand your post correctly, these are the steps I will follow:

    1) Connect iphone to Mac. Put it in DFU. There's a tutorial here iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode
    2) Check iBoot version, and ECID version.
    3) Now start itunes, and go through the usual procedure for registering a new iphone.
    4) If iBoot version is iBoot-359.3.2, then I can't jailbreak, for all practical purposes (unless I want to go through the blackra1n hassle), and I should wait for a fix. If iBoot version < iBoot-359.3.2, then I can jailbreak through pwnage.
    5) Go through the pwnage process, outlined here:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool [Mac]
    6) HERES WHERE I GET CONFUSED: There's a nice tutorial to get the ECID thing fixed here:
    Hack that Phone - How to locally create, store, and validate your ECID SHSH signature
    but it states that I need to restore to a custom firmware, which I supposedly did on step 5 -- should I do this again?

    THANKS a lot for reading and helping me out.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rrpalma View Post
    Excellent explanation -- Thanks!

    If I understand your post correctly, these are the steps I will follow:

    1) Connect iphone to Mac. Put it in DFU. There's a tutorial here iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode
    2) Check iBoot version, and ECID version.
    3) Now start itunes, and go through the usual procedure for registering a new iphone.
    4) If iBoot version is iBoot-359.3.2, then I can't jailbreak, for all practical purposes (unless I want to go through the blackra1n hassle), and I should wait for a fix. If iBoot version < iBoot-359.3.2, then I can jailbreak through pwnage.
    5) Go through the pwnage process, outlined here:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool [Mac]
    6) HERES WHERE I GET CONFUSED: There's a nice tutorial to get the ECID thing fixed here:
    Hack that Phone - How to locally create, store, and validate your ECID SHSH signature
    but it states that I need to restore to a custom firmware, which I supposedly did on step 5 -- should I do this again?

    THANKS a lot for reading and helping me out.
    Getting in and out of DFU mode is also explained in this http://www.hackint0sh.org/f137/54082.htm thread. I prefer the shutdown method to the hold down sleep and home until it restarts method.

    The latest version of firmware umbrella can query Apple's servers directly for an ECID SHSH for 3.1.2 only. Apple refuses to sign any earlier versions.
    The guide you referred to explains this if you read closely.

    You just need your ECID (16 digit number) which you get by putting your iPhone in DFu mode and to run the umbrella program.
    Put in your ECID, select 3GS, 3.1.2 and Apple as source repository then hit submit. You will get a .shsh file saved in the same directory as the umbrella app.

    You should also use Cydia's make my life easier option as well.
    Last edited by Olethros; 11-26-2009 at 05:27 PM.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  5. #5
    Supporter Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    thanks so much again!


  6. #6
    Supporter Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    ok, I haven't tried the procedures yet, because I'm trying to learn and inform myself as much as possible before I get started -- I guess this is half the fun

    Based on my serial number, I was able to determine my iphone 3gs was made on week 32, so I guess I will able to jailbreak it

    Now, based on that, it's got probably firmware 3.1, and not 3.1.2. This is were my current confusion lies: should I let itunes update it to 3.1.2? Will this particular update change also the iboot / baseband (something I probably don't want)? Or will it be better to do the upgrade through pwnage, via a custom 3.1.2 firmware?

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ok, I did this and got the ECID and ECID SHSH, but now I want to tackle the PUSH sticky in the genius bar area. http://www.hackint0sh.org/showthread...376#post474376

    Do Can someone help me over there? I hear I need a clean iphone without hacktivation. so I'm guessing I need to do something before I hacktivate in the jailbreak process.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by med007 View Post
    ok, I did this and got the ECID and ECID SHSH, but now I want to tackle the PUSH sticky in the genius bar area. How to create a unique certificate for your iPhone for Push Notification - Hackint0sh

    Do Can someone help me over there? I hear I need a clean iphone without hacktivation. so I'm guessing I need to do something before I hacktivate in the jailbreak process.
    You either hacktivate or activate legitimately, the choice is up to you.

    Hacktivation works fine and you can always inject legit push certificates later.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  9. #9
    Supporter Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default another set of quick questions ...

    Thanks Olethros for all your help.

    Unfortunately, I had to travel overseas, forgot my iphone at home (still in its box) and won't be back until Feb / March

    So what I did as soon as I got to my hotel was downloaded Pwnage 3.1.4, the current custom firmware (3.1.2) and firmware umbrella 2.1.7, so that I can be sure I can jailbreak my phone as soon as I get back, regardless of what the latest firmware version is. Anything else I need?

    Question number 2 (I just want to understand how this works): Suppose I had my iphone with me now, and were to do the jailbreak process right now. From the week of manufacture, it would seem I have the "old" iboot, so probably I also have FW ver 3.1 (not 3.1.2). If I understand correctly, there would be no risk in letting itunes upgrade the software on the phone, since this particular upgrade (from 3.1 to 3.1.2) would not entail changing either the basenband or iboot; however the same can't be said of other upgrades -- is that why you recommend been careful about upgrades requested by itunes?

    THANKS !!
    Last edited by rrpalma; 11-30-2009 at 01:51 AM.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rrpalma View Post
    Thanks Olethros for all your help.

    Unfortunately, I had to travel overseas, forgot my iphone at home (still in its box) and won't be back until Feb / March

    So what I did as soon as I got to my hotel was downloaded Pwnage 3.1.4, the current custom firmware (3.1.2) and firmware umbrella 2.1.7, so that I can be sure I can jailbreak my phone as soon as I get back, regardless of what the latest firmware version is. Anything else I need?
    Because your iPhone is running 3.1 now, you will be able to jailbreak when you get back, but by that time it is almost definite that an OS release after 3.1.2 will be available. This means that Apple will have stopped issuing ECID SHSH for OS 3.1.2

    So if your iPhone crashes and requires a restore (this is more common for jailbroken iPhones because software from Cydia can make changes at the system level) then your only option will be to restore to 3.2 or whatever is currently being signed by Apple. This might not be jailbreakable.

    The correct approach would be to use pwnagetool to be able to restore your hypothetical crashed iPhone using a custom ipsw created with pwnagetool.

    Quote Originally Posted by rrpalma View Post
    Suppose I had my iphone with me now, and were to do the jailbreak process right now. From the week of manufacture, it would seem I have the "old" iboot, so probably I also have FW ver 3.1 (not 3.1.2). If I understand correctly, there would be no risk in letting itunes upgrade the software on the phone, since this particular upgrade (from 3.1 to 3.1.2) would not entail changing either the basenband or iboot; however the same can't be said of other upgrades -- is that why you recommend been careful about upgrades requested by itunes?
    There is no risk in going from 3.1 to 3.1.2, but you cannot go back.
    You cannot upgrade the bootrom (iBoot) this is burned into a chip.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Very basic NooB question
    By moyali in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM
  2. Need help: Can't use basic phone functions after trouble with CallMe
    By 0815-iPhoneuser in forum iOS 3.x (iPhone OS 3.x)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
  3. Basic Motherboard Question
    By nomis in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM
  4. Noob question
    By discopimp in forum iPhone 3G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 11:58 PM
  5. Basic newbie question
    By bobhope in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 06:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:47 PM.
twitter, follow us!