Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 243
Discuss Custom Carrier Bundle for iPhone Firmware 2.2.1 & PwnageTool/Quickpwn 2.2.5 (Mac&Win) at the PwnageTool - Hackint0sh.org; Originally Posted by skier0178 any changes required for the bundles to work with 2.0.2? No, ...
  1. #51
    iPhone Moderator Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skier0178 View Post
    any changes required for the bundles to work with 2.0.2?
    No, they work with firmware 2.0.2
    Read the stickies and search the forum before posting!
    If you want to become a Hackint0sh supporter click here
    ----------
    iPhone 4 factory unlocked, iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad Wi-Fi + 3G (1G), iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad 2


  2. #52
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Okay, after some digging around I found out the following:
    1) carrier bundle updates are performed by MobileInstallation, the same framework that is responsible for installing apps;
    2) carrier bundles are installed to ~/Library/Carrier Bundles. This directory does not exist by default, but gets created by MobileInstallation automatically.

    I tried installing my custom bundle to ~/Library/Carrier Bundles (full path: /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles) instead of /System/Library/Carrier Bundles and it worked perfectly. The settings took effect immediately after restart, no sim card shuffle was required.
    It appears that ~/Library gets scanned first, so it's great news for people who are on one of the officially supported carriers but want to customize their bundle and still be able to restore the original settings.

    So, to sum it up:
    1) shell script is not required, because we don't have to worry whether there's existing bundle or not;
    2) everything else remains the same, including symlink, just replace /System/Library/Carrier Bundles with ~/Library/Carrier Bundles.

  3. #53
    iPhone Moderator Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackboxxx View Post
    Okay, after some digging around I found out the following:
    1) carrier bundle updates are performed by MobileInstallation, the same framework that is responsible for installing apps;
    2) carrier bundles are installed to ~/Library/Carrier Bundles. This directory does not exist by default, but gets created by MobileInstallation automatically.

    I tried installing my custom bundle to ~/Library/Carrier Bundles (full path: /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles) instead of /System/Library/Carrier Bundles and it worked perfectly. The settings took effect immediately after restart, no sim card shuffle was required.
    It appears that ~/Library gets scanned first, so it's great news for people who are on one of the officially supported carriers but want to customize their bundle and still be able to restore the original settings.

    So, to sum it up:
    1) shell script is not required, because we don't have to worry whether there's existing bundle or not;
    2) everything else remains the same, including symlink, just replace /System/Library/Carrier Bundles with ~/Library/Carrier Bundles.
    Just one comment on that finding. This only works if you are on one of the (Apple) supported carriers but not on a regular iPhone plan or a legit user just wanting to edit the carrier bundle.

    This does not work, if you are on one of the million other carriers. The reason is pretty simple: The bundle gets identifies by the MCC/MNC (the name of the symlink to the carrier bundle). On other carriers this symlink is missing - so it aint work. The symlink is created by the script that comes with my custom carrier bundles.

    The solution was - on first - made for users on all carriers but mostly on carriers that are not supported by Apple. This is still the case. If you are on one of Apples partner carriers you can use my solution aswell of cause. But you can use the workaround aswell then.
    Read the stickies and search the forum before posting!
    If you want to become a Hackint0sh supporter click here
    ----------
    iPhone 4 factory unlocked, iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad Wi-Fi + 3G (1G), iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad 2

  4. #54
    Administrator Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    That makes perfect sense. Thanks V.
    ** If you just want to support hackint0sh.org with a donation click here **

  5. #55
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by volkspost View Post
    Just one comment on that finding. This only works if you are on one of the (Apple) supported carriers but not on a regular iPhone plan or a legit user just wanting to edit the carrier bundle.
    Actually I'm on a non-supported carrier (Cytamobile-Vodafone Cyprus, MCC:280 MNC:01) and, as I mentioned in my previous post, I verified that my custom carrier bundle that I put in ~/Library/Carrier Bundles works properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by volkspost View Post
    This does not work, if you are on one of the million other carriers. The reason is pretty simple: The bundle gets identifies by the MCC/MNC (the name of the symlink to the carrier bundle). On other carriers this symlink is missing - so it aint work. The symlink is created by the script that comes with my custom carrier bundles.
    My carrier is not one of the officially supported, so I just created symlink manually. I also created a tar file containing my carrier bundle and symlink, then put it in a custom firmware using ipsw tool. Both methods worked.

    From the point of view of CoreTelephony.framework (it is responsible for processing carrier bundles), there's no difference if the SIM card you inserted belongs to official carrier or not. It just does the following:
    1) read the MCC/MNC
    2) look in ~/Library/Carrier Bundles for symlink matching MCC/MNC
    3) if it exists, read carrier bundle from the linked directory
    4) if it doesn't exist, look in /System/Library/Carrier Bundles for matching symlink
    5) if it exists, read carrier bundle from the linked directory
    6) otherwise, read Unknown.bundle.


    Let's take 2 scenarios.

    1. Your carrier is one of the officially supported, such as T-Mobile DE (whether you actually have an iPhone plan doesn't matter).
    In this case you upload the files to ~/Library/Carrier Bundles/TMobile_Germany.bundle and create two symlinks 26201 and 26206 in ~/Library/Carrier Bundles pointing to TMobile_Germany.bundle.
    The original files in /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/TMobile_Germany.bundle remain untouched. In case you want to go back to the original version you just delete the folders/symlinks in ~/Library/Carrier Bundles.
    Note that no file replacement or overwriting is required, hence the script that runs on startup and checks if the symlink already exists isn't necessary.

    2. Your carrier is not officially supported by Apple, so there's no existing bundle.
    In this case you can put the files/symlinks either in ~/Library/Carrier Bundles or /System/Library/Carrier Bundles. Both will have exactly the same effect. Though I'd prefer the former, because you won't lose your settings when upgrading, e.g. 2.0.1 -> 2.0.2.
    Last edited by blackboxxx; 08-23-2008 at 06:51 AM.


  6. #56
    iPhone Moderator Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    220

    Default

    blackboxxx, lets put this discussion to an end here please, it starts confusing readers.

    On your solution - just using a different directory - users on a non supported carrier have to create a symlink via SSH on the iPhone and copy the bundle into, same for users on a supported carrier. There is no advantage to the standard bundle you can download from the webservice I use

    For users not wanting to SSH or SFTP into the iPhone i have the pwnage compatible bundles, hasslefree but you have to create custom firmware and apply it. That way will also work on future updates as long as Apple does not completely change the model. When using this one the custom LaunchDaemon is absolutely necassary, otherwise you can't execute a script on the iPhone to create a symlink without SSHing into. It's the way the Dev Team uses on their own bundles.

    Last not least, remember your post #14 in this thread "I hope we will discover a way to install carrier bundles via iTunes, because it's so much easier than ssh or re-pwning".
    THAT would be an advantage and a way to go. Injecting a custom carrier bundle via iTunes including a script that automates the creation of the symlink if needed. I still dont know how-to.

    If you want to follow on this topic please start another thread on this, we dont want to confuse users here.

    thanks
    Last edited by volkspost; 08-23-2008 at 10:53 AM.
    Read the stickies and search the forum before posting!
    If you want to become a Hackint0sh supporter click here
    ----------
    iPhone 4 factory unlocked, iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad Wi-Fi + 3G (1G), iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad 2

  7. #57
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    volkspost, I don't want to get anyone confused too, but I want to remind you that I started this discussion with the suggestion about tar bundles.
    I understand that the official PwnageTool on a Mac uses zip files with a plist inside, and that format doesn't allow symlinks and therefore script is necessary.
    However, Winpwn and XPwn support .tar files, and QuickPwn uses gzipped tars. This format supports symlinks and preserves custom permissions.

    Referring to your previous post,
    Quote Originally Posted by volkspost View Post
    Last not least: I tried to - fist manually - create custom carrier bundles as tar archives for use with Winpwn. Thats no problem so far. But same situation: i need to execute a script to check if the symlink is already there (for users of one of Apples partner carriers but on a non-iPhone plan), rename if there and create a new one.
    I'm just trying to explain that the script now is not necessary if we place the bundle in ~/Library/Carrier Bundles, because obviously there's no existing symlink there.

    So, again, thanks for your hard work on carrier bundle generator, it's an awesome tool, and I'm looking forward to see .tar bundle support as well.

  8. #58
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    My question is addressed to Vokspost.
    After I pwned mu iphone 2G to 2.0.1 I am unable to select carrier partners manually in settings. It shows my default carrier as Vodafone however on manual network carrier selection I get just searching.... with spindle.
    Can you help me . tks

  9. #59
    iPhone Moderator Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackboxxx View Post
    volkspost, I don't want to get anyone confused too, but I want to remind you that I started this discussion with the suggestion about tar bundles.
    I understand that the official PwnageTool on a Mac uses zip files with a plist inside, and that format doesn't allow symlinks and therefore script is necessary.
    However, Winpwn and XPwn support .tar files, and QuickPwn uses gzipped tars. This format supports symlinks and preserves custom permissions.

    Referring to your previous post,
    I'm just trying to explain that the script now is not necessary if we place the bundle in ~/Library/Carrier Bundles, because obviously there's no existing symlink there.

    So, again, thanks for your hard work on carrier bundle generator, it's an awesome tool, and I'm looking forward to see .tar bundle support as well.
    blackboxxx dont get me wrong, I apprechiate your comments, just wanted to stay with the topic. I will send you a link later today to my beta-winpwn bundle creator. I can create the bundles (tar) and place them in the correct directories on the iPhone (both one). One problem stays: If you are on any non Apple partner carrier you have to create a symlink pointing to the bundle, cause its needed but not there. You can of cause do this via SSH. But that is a step i wanted to avoid, it is working with the Pwnage compatible solution.

    Similar situation in Winpwn. If the symlink is not already on the iPhone cause you are not on Apple's partner carriers, you have to create the symlink - no matter where the bundle is sitting.

    Remember: All the files, the bundle and the carrier logo are created on my webserver via PHP and GDlib. So I cant create a symlink on the server, that wont work. Thats why I choose to use the LaunchDemon and script 8.sh9 that is working on PwnageTool.
    On the tar version for windows I do have another problem that does not apply to the PwnageTool version. With Winpwn the owner and group of files and script are not changed by the function that allows adding custom bundles. On the Mac version they are set to root:wheel, working for the iPhone. On Wonpwn they remain as produced by the webserver, something like 25999:nobody, no way to change that on the webserver, chown and chgrp are not allowed...

    Anyway, I'll give you a link later via pm, you can play around with.

    v.
    Read the stickies and search the forum before posting!
    If you want to become a Hackint0sh supporter click here
    ----------
    iPhone 4 factory unlocked, iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad Wi-Fi + 3G (1G), iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad 2

  10. #60
    iPhone Moderator Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aniel1 View Post
    My question is addressed to Vokspost.
    After I pwned mu iphone 2G to 2.0.1 I am unable to select carrier partners manually in settings. It shows my default carrier as Vodafone however on manual network carrier selection I get just searching.... with spindle.
    Can you help me . tks
    I dont know why this happens. have seen this behavior happening to some more users here oin the forum. On my iPhone(s) I can see the other carriers, but not select them. this happens on a legit iphone aswell.
    Read the stickies and search the forum before posting!
    If you want to become a Hackint0sh supporter click here
    ----------
    iPhone 4 factory unlocked, iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad Wi-Fi + 3G (1G), iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad 2


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. [1.1.3/1.1.4](all)[Tutorial] Create custom carrier bundle in a minute
    By volkspost in forum Genius Bar - HowTos, Guides and Tutorials
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 10:24 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2008, 01:56 PM
  3. MacNN: PwnageTool and QuickPwn jailbreak 2.1 firmware
    By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 05:30 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:31 PM.
twitter, follow us!