Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Discuss Blackra1n Failed, Redsn0w Failed, out of options, have an Expensive Brick at the PwnageTool - Hackint0sh.org; Hello everyone. I'm having a problem that I can't resolve. I've tried everything I know. ...
  1. #1
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Arrow Blackra1n Failed, Redsn0w Failed, out of options, have an Expensive Brick

    Hello everyone.

    I'm having a problem that I can't resolve. I've tried everything I know.

    I had a working jailbroken and unlucked iPhone 3G that was working a bit slow so I wanted to restore it to its factory default settings to jailbreak and unlock it again so it would work as new.

    So I did the full factory restore via the Settings menu on the iPhone and it froze on the Apple logo with that Ajax wheel.

    So my only option was to restore it with iTunes. It seems that iTunes restored it using the 3.13 firmware, but at least it worked.

    However, it's asking for the original SMS to activiate, but I do not have it.

    Worse yet, I've tried to jailbreak it using both Blackra1n and Redsn0w and both failed. The custom .ipsw created by Blackra1n gave me an "unkown error" when restoring it on iTunes on 3 different computers (the errors were 1601, 1602, and 1604). I then tried Redsn0w which got to the final screen saying everything was done and that the rest would be completed on the iPhone, but nothing happened on the iPhone and it's still asking for my original SIM which I don't have.

    So I've had a useless brick for the past 24 hours and I'm desperate to get it working again as I can't make or receive any calls and it's the only phone I have.

    Please let me know how I can fix this to get my phone activated, jailbroken, and unlocked again. I will try ANYTHING and I'm pretty computer savvy.

    Thank you very much, I appreciate it.



  2. #2
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExpensiveBrick View Post
    Hello everyone.

    I'm having a problem that I can't resolve. I've tried everything I know.

    I had a working jailbroken and unlucked iPhone 3G that was working a bit slow so I wanted to restore it to its factory default settings to jailbreak and unlock it again so it would work as new.

    So I did the full factory restore via the Settings menu on the iPhone and it froze on the Apple logo with that Ajax wheel.

    So my only option was to restore it with iTunes. It seems that iTunes restored it using the 3.13 firmware, but at least it worked.

    However, it's asking for the original SMS to activiate, but I do not have it.

    Worse yet, I've tried to jailbreak it using both Blackra1n and Redsn0w and both failed. The custom .ipsw created by Blackra1n gave me an "unkown error" when restoring it on iTunes on 3 different computers (the errors were 1601, 1602, and 1604). I then tried Redsn0w which got to the final screen saying everything was done and that the rest would be completed on the iPhone, but nothing happened on the iPhone and it's still asking for my original SIM which I don't have.

    So I've had a useless brick for the past 24 hours and I'm desperate to get it working again as I can't make or receive any calls and it's the only phone I have.

    Please let me know how I can fix this to get my phone activated, jailbroken, and unlocked again. I will try ANYTHING and I'm pretty computer savvy.
    You have lost your unlock... That is nearly 100% guaranteed. There is a tiny chance that fuzzyband will allow you to downgrade your baseband. That is your only option for unlock for now.
    There was no need to restore to 3.1.3
    Jailbreak is still possible. Both redsn0w and pwnagetool should work. The phone needs to be in DFU mode to jailbreak. Blackra1n will NOT work. Redsn0w requires that you use the OS 3.1.2 IPSW to jailbreak with.

    Try again, if the jailbreak still does not work - respond with more details and we will try and help.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  3. #3
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    You have lost your unlock... That is nearly 100% guaranteed. There is a tiny chance that fuzzyband will allow you to downgrade your baseband. That is your only option for unlock for now.
    There was no need to restore to 3.1.3
    Jailbreak is still possible. Both redsn0w and pwnagetool should work. The phone needs to be in DFU mode to jailbreak. Blackra1n will NOT work. Redsn0w requires that you use the OS 3.1.2 IPSW to jailbreak with.

    Try again, if the jailbreak still does not work - respond with more details and we will try and help.
    That's really bad news, I'm sorry to hear.

    I tried the redsn0w again (using the 3.1.2 IPSW like I had before) but to no avail. I connected my iPhone via USB, launched the program, browsed to the 3.1.2 IPSW file, it asked me if this was a new 3GS, I said 'NO', then I went through the Power and Home button step, it loaded all the files automatically, and then said it was 'Done' and that the rest of the process would be done by the iPhone. The screen was lit but blank on the iPhone and I left it there for several minutes. When I came back to it, the phone was off, so I turned it on, but it's now just showing me the iTunes -> USB logo. Any ideas why?

    Also, how can I try the pwnagetool?

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExpensiveBrick View Post
    I tried the redsn0w again (using the 3.1.2 IPSW like I had before) but to no avail. I connected my iPhone via USB, launched the program, browsed to the 3.1.2 IPSW file, it asked me if this was a new 3GS, I said 'NO', then I went through the Power and Home button step, it loaded all the files automatically, and then said it was 'Done' and that the rest of the process would be done by the iPhone. The screen was lit but blank on the iPhone and I left it there for several minutes. When I came back to it, the phone was off, so I turned it on, but it's now just showing me the iTunes -> USB logo. Any ideas why?
    You must actually have a 3GS. Redsn0w only asks the 3GS question if you have a 3GS. The jailbreak process for 3GS is different to the process for a 3G iPhone.
    I guess you never clicked the "make my life easier" option in Cydia?

    If you have not used that (or otherwise backed up your SHSH for 3.1.2 or lower) then you are out of luck. No jailbreak or unlock for you for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by ExpensiveBrick View Post
    Also, how can I try the pwnagetool
    If you had old-bootrom 3GS and you had asked for help before restoring to OS 3.1.3 you could have used pwnagetool. Now if you truly do have a 3GS - pwnagetool won't help as OS 3.1.3 can't be directly jailbroken on a 3GS with any public jailbreak tools. There are two upcoming jailbreaks - but no definite word yet on an unlock.

    See Thunderst0rm is fake - avoid | iPhone News, Help and Guides for details on the two new jailbreaks and what not to use (summary only trust iPhone devteam, geohot or chronicdev for jailbreak - for unlock only trust iPhone devteam or geohot. Never pay for unlock or jailbreak - if you are encouraged to donate then you should only consider doing this after you have confirmed that the unlock/jailbreak works for you)
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  5. #5
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    You must actually have a 3GS.
    I don't, I have an iPhone 3G 16GB.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros
    Redsn0w only asks the 3GS question if you have a 3GS. ]The jailbreak process for 3GS is different to the process for a 3G iPhone.
    Then there must be something else going on here considering I have a 3G and Redsn0w thinks I have a 3GS. What else could possibly be causing this? That might lead to a clue as to how to resolve my issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros
    I guess you never clicked the "make my life easier" option in Cydia? If you have not used that (or otherwise backed up your SHSH for 3.1.2 or lower) then you are out of luck. No jailbreak or unlock for you for now.
    No, I unfortunately did neither, but surely there must be a way to revert to an older firmware, jailbreak it, and then try to downgrade the baseband on my 3G to get it all working again, no?

    Any other ideas?


  6. #6
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExpensiveBrick View Post
    I don't, I have an iPhone 3G 16GB.

    Then there must be something else going on here considering I have a 3G and Redsn0w thinks I have a 3GS. What else could possibly be causing this? That might lead to a clue as to how to resolve my issue.

    No, I unfortunately did neither, but surely there must be a way to revert to an older firmware, jailbreak it, and then try to downgrade the baseband on my 3G to get it all working again, no?

    Any other ideas?
    Yes - you are feeding redsn0w and iTunes the wrong IPSW.
    You must have an IPSW called iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw - this is for the 3GS. This is why it is not working properly for you.

    You need an IPSW called iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw you can find firmware download links on this page. Firmware - The iPhone Wiki
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  7. #7
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    Yes - you are feeding redsn0w and iTunes the wrong IPSW.
    You must have an IPSW called iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw - this is for the 3GS. This is why it is not working properly for you.

    You need an IPSW called iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw you can find firmware download links on this page. Firmware - The iPhone Wiki
    Yes, you were correct, I had using the wrong IPSW.

    So I just downloaded the correct one you specified above via your link but it did not work. I ran Redsn0w, browsed to that new file, proceeded through all the steps, and after it said "Done", my iPhone's screen was blank (but still lit) and stayed like that for about 5 minutes and then turned off. I turned it back on but it showed the Apple logo and then the same iTunes->USB image as before.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate your time.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExpensiveBrick View Post
    Yes, you were correct, I had using the wrong IPSW.

    So I just downloaded the correct one you specified above via your link but it did not work. I ran Redsn0w, browsed to that new file, proceeded through all the steps, and after it said "Done", my iPhone's screen was blank (but still lit) and stayed like that for about 5 minutes and then turned off. I turned it back on but it showed the Apple logo and then the same iTunes->USB image as before.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate your time.
    Put the iPhone in DFU mode... restore with the correct IPSW

    Then run through redsn0w again.

    Your phone is currently in a screwed up state because of the repeated failed attempts to redsn0w/jailbreak.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  9. #9
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    Put the iPhone in DFU mode... restore with the correct IPSW

    Then run through redsn0w again.

    Your phone is currently in a screwed up state because of the repeated failed attempts to redsn0w/jailbreak.
    Sorry about the delayed response as I have been traveling.

    I did as you said and I was successfully able to jailbreak my iPhone with the latest 3.1.3 firmware.

    However, I was unable to unlock it as fuzzyband said my bootloader is too new, so right now I still have an expensive brick.

    This is the only mobile I have and now that I'm back home I really cannot be without a mobile phone.

    I don't have money to spend on a new phone and I cannot be without a mobile as this is my only phone and I'm paying an expensive monthly mobile contract that I'm tied into which right now is going to waste.

    What are my options?

    Thanks again.
    Last edited by ExpensiveBrick; 05-07-2010 at 10:38 AM.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExpensiveBrick View Post
    I did as you said and I was successfully able to jailbreak my iPhone with the latest 3.1.3 firmware.

    However, I was unable to unlock it as fuzzyband said my bootloader is too new, so right now I still have an expensive brick.
    Your only option is to pay more $$ to the carrier your iPhone is locked to and ask for an official unlock. There is no unofficial unlock for baseband 05.12.01 and the earliest to expect one is late June. That is not a guarantee either just an educated guess.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 08:25 AM
  2. Is this failed baseband? /restore failed after lockup
    By unknown error in forum iOS 4.x (iPhone OS 4.x)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 04:44 AM
  3. blackra1n (windows) failed to start (ASL.dll error)
    By x-tra in forum Blackra1n (3G(S) jailbreak)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 01:30 PM
  4. Blackra1n has failed me. HELP!!!
    By Lt.Brown in forum Blackra1n (3G(S) jailbreak)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 07:28 AM
  5. [1.1.2 OTB] FW update failed, now restore also failed!
    By einarp in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:47 PM.
twitter, follow us!