Multiple dead ends on Radeon 4850
I've spent about 50 hours trying to get my [vanilla] Snow Leopard to recognize my 4850HD with qe/ci to no avail. After countless google searches I've practically tried everything so I've hit a dead end and don't know what to do now. Everyone I ask on IRC says that the 4850 HD is a 'well-supported' card so I wonder why I'm having so many issues.
My OS either hangs at boot (no kernel panic) or shows artifacts on the screen, depending on what I do to try to get the Sapphire 4850HD with 2 DVI ports to work (I'm not using a dongle). The different things I've tried:
- On 10.6.5 tried inserting my device ID directly into ATI4800Controller.kext, reboot, nothing happens, tried setting GraphicsEnabler=Yes. When I do GraphicsEnabler=Yes I get a black screen with white artifacts (or grey screen with black artifacts if I didn't do verbose). I will post a screenshot later on
- On 10.6.5 tried installing LegacyATIController.kext and enabling it with either GraphicsEnabler=Yes or EVOenabler. Same problem as above with the screen artifacts
- Netkas qe/ci patch on 10.6.5 gets ignored at boot, I get the following error on the logs:
ATI4800Controller.kext has been ignored. The vtable 'hugelongstring' is malformed. Please make sure your kext is built against correct headers. I think I only get this error message if I install the qe/ci patch after I reboot after the 10.6.5 software update. If I install the qe/ci patch before the reboot, I get a boot hang with no distinguishable error.
- Multibeast video card patch for 48xx series on both 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 either does nothing or has sometimes caused my boot to hang without any distinguishable error message, forcing me to do an entire reinstall (something I've had to do at least 30 times by now)
- Netkas qe/ci patch on 10.6.6 hangs boot. If I include the RadeonX2000 in the qe/ci patch it hangs with this error message:
virtual bool IOHIDEventSystemUserClient::initWithTask(task*, void*, UInt32): Client task not privileged to open IOHIDSystem for mapping memory
- Tried to use iBoot instead of the 'generic' Chameleon RC4 I have. It gives me a drive is unsupported error.
I've tried numerous combinations of all of the above in all sorts of imaginable ways, but nothing seems to work.
Any suggestions before I throw in the towel?
Your help is greatly appreciated.