Browsing and opening local files in mobile Safari?
I've been searching for a good and easy way to browse and read local files in jailbroken iPod Touch and iPhone devices.
I've found multiple half-solutions that sort of work, but all are still cumbersome to use due to one simple problem: you have to type a long "file:///var/mobile/..." URL to get to your local files, and hope you got the spelling EXACTLY RIGHT in a case-sensitive file system that allows 256 (I guess) characters in a full path.
1) Add "file://" support in mobile Safari. This one is a pre-requisite and works as advertised, but requires typing long URLs. Why is there no "Open file" dialog as in Mac OS?
2) FileViewer: requires typing long URLs (according to Cydia info).
3) PDFViewer: appears to be obsolete, not updated for 2.x OS.
4) MobileFinder: it can navigate and browse for files very well, but cannot OPEN them. I tried 1.8.0, incidentally running into a disastrous result described at
Even with a successful installation, I found it could not send a file URL to MobileSafari to open a local file. It kept invoking Safari, but Safari kept displaying the last web site I had navigated to.
5) MobileTerminal: great at finding and managing files, but good luck trying to open them. :)
So, does anybody have a better idea?