Discuss Browsing and opening local files in mobile Safari? at the iPod Touch 1G - Hackint0sh.org; Hello,
I've been searching for a good and easy way to browse and read local ...
Browsing and opening local files in mobile Safari?
I've been searching for a good and easy way to browse and read local files in jailbroken iPod Touch and iPhone devices.
I've found multiple half-solutions that sort of work, but all are still cumbersome to use due to one simple problem: you have to type a long "file:///var/mobile/..." URL to get to your local files, and hope you got the spelling EXACTLY RIGHT in a case-sensitive file system that allows 256 (I guess) characters in a full path.
1) Add "file://" support in mobile Safari. This one is a pre-requisite and works as advertised, but requires typing long URLs. Why is there no "Open file" dialog as in Mac OS?
2) FileViewer: requires typing long URLs (according to Cydia info).
3) PDFViewer: appears to be obsolete, not updated for 2.x OS.
4) MobileFinder: it can navigate and browse for files very well, but cannot OPEN them. I tried 1.8.0, incidentally running into a disastrous result described at
Even with a successful installation, I found it could not send a file URL to MobileSafari to open a local file. It kept invoking Safari, but Safari kept displaying the last web site I had navigated to.
5) MobileTerminal: great at finding and managing files, but good luck trying to open them.
So, does anybody have a better idea?
Is there any program or script to generate an "Index" HTML file, that would have links to all readable files under a folder (say "/var/mobile/IndexedFiles")? Then one could just bookmark this page, and click the links to browse the other files.
Try wildeyes (you could find it on cydia). You'll can browse your local file and open all bond of files ( pdf images vidéos and more)
By ar_meme in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 10-20-2009, 08:32 AM
By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
Last Post: 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Last Post: 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
By fuchan3 in forum Free Toolchain Software
Last Post: 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Tags for this Thread