iTunes not recognizing iPhone. Fix?
So I've read quite a bit about this issue, but attempts to re-install iTunes and the AMDS have not helped.
Edit: I left out some pretty important information, sorry.
I'm running iTunes v8.2 from Apple's website. Previously, I was running the beta version from the dev-site. Things worked fine until I installed the public release version.
Here is the contents of the Windows Event Log:
Faulting application name: AppleMobileDeviceService.exe, version: 188.8.131.52, time stamp: 0x49ed694d
Faulting module name: AppleMobileDeviceService.exe, version: 184.108.40.206, time stamp: 0x49ed694d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000e913
Faulting process id: 0x61c
Faulting application start time: 0x01c9d37e74bf9e91
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
Report Id: 7bfbaff7-3f89-11de-bea5-001b38d45d59
Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions?
About my iPhone:
Model: 16GB 3G
Firmware: Legit Beta 5
Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit RC1
Let me know if you need any further info, and thank you in advance =)
a possible fix WITHOUT re-installing iTunes (which may lock your unlocked phone)
Mac OSX 10.6.3
iTunes 10.4.1 (11)
iPhone 3GS v 4.1 (8B117)
I can't remember where I found it in Apple's help but the heading for the page is:
Mac OS X v10.6: iOS device not recognized in iTunes after restart
Anyway, the first solution advised
In Finder, click the Go menu and then choose Go to Folder. Enter the following location into the text field that
4. Click Go.
5. Locate the file "com.apple.usbmuxd.plist~orig" and drag it to the Trash. (Do not move the similarly named"com.apple.usbmuxd.plist" file to the Trash.)
I didn't put it into the trash: I first moved it (actually, I think the OS just copied it) to the desktop (I wanted a copy in case I needed to re-install it into that folder), THEN I put the file which was still in that LaunchDaemons folder into the trash and deleted it .
I re-started my Mac, connected my iPhone, launched iTunes . . . voila! All good !