Discuss [Advice] Should I update to 3.0 firmware? at the iPhone OS 3.x - Hackint0sh.org; Should I update to 3.0 firmware?
What are the advantages? Disadvantages?
What do you like/hate ...
[Advice] Should I update to 3.0 firmware?
Should I update to 3.0 firmware?
What are the advantages? Disadvantages?
What do you like/hate about it?
If you arent a developer - no.
There are very few things you can do in 3.0 which you can't do on a jailbroken 2.2.1
Don't forget that upgrading will also render any unlock plans you may have had, useless.
For me, 3.0 is still very buggy. I can't even open my SMS app without it crashing EVERY single time. I know this is isolated but for me as an individual causes a big concern.
As I said, MMS, Tethering, Searching etc is all available via SwirlyMMS, PDANet, Finder on 2.2.1, and there are apps for Landscape SMS, forwarding, deleting etc too.
So no, stick with 2.2.1 for now
Don't if you are not familar with how things work.
There are many discussions on this already.
Just wait for the final release version.
** If you just want to support hackint0sh.org with a donation click here **
Wait for the final release?
You're not one of those "development software is intended for developers" people are you?
You're not saying that buying an ADC subscription to simply get new iPhone OS firmware updates a couple weeks before the rest of the world is idiotic, are you?
You're not saying that people on Torrent networks aren't completely trustworthy, are you?
You're not saying that ...
On second thought, you bring up some very good points.
jap1198, listen to what dtube is telling you... He knows his shit!
idk what kind of beta your on my sms works fine with me it crashes once a day atleast but not everytime
Originally Posted by Jwharmsby
It really depends on what your motivation is and whether or not you have another phone (or a backup plan in case something gets screwed to the point you can't fix it). The devs and more knowledgeable on the forum will all likely agree that you shouldn't upgrade if you don't plan on developing for it -- and they're pretty much right. If you're not upgrading so that you can prepare software that you've written for the 3.0 OS, or if you're not an active and participating member of the effort to unlock or jailbreak, frankly, you probably should stick with 2.2.1.
Originally Posted by jap1198
That said, I'm not a developer, just a power-user, and I've upgraded to 3.0 (on my only iPhone). 3.0 B3 has worked very well for me as a daily use phone, though I can't stress enough that your mileage may vary -- it is a beta. A simple look through the forums will show you the myriad of issues that the select few of us that have upgraded and post here have experienced. If you're OK with that, and aren't a stranger to having your arms up to the elbows in your hardware, then while the PROPER answer is still not to upgrade, in all reality you'll probably be fine...
If the question is, should you spend $99 to become the developer with Apple just to get the 3.0 beta ... well, uh, no. That would be pretty stupid. If you happen to work somewhere that you can legitimately get your UUID registered for the beta and can download it directly from Apple's site, well, then, that's a different story...
Well this was totally unexpected! I though everyone would be saying "Yes you have to upgrade!!" But its the opposite! I guess i'll just wait then! (there's only 1 month left till the final release comes out ((hopefully))). Either that or I can try to upgrade and if it sux then I can just restore back to 2.2.1.
Thanks for your feedback!
By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
Last Post: 08-27-2008, 07:20 PM
By meandork in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 07-24-2008, 09:42 PM
By Tyman07 in forum iPhone Developer Exchange
Last Post: 05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
By Bojaniste in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 12-17-2007, 04:02 AM
By geonzzz in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 09-26-2007, 01:35 PM