Discuss [Firmware][Solution] Downgrade from 2.0 to 1.1.4 at the iPhone Developer Exchange - Hackint0sh.org; Originally Posted by craigp
I get error 20 when either a) I hadn't put the ...
I thought that Error (1) was to do with improperly putting iPhone in DFU mode and Error (5) when the wrong iTunes was being used.
Originally Posted by craigp
Me, I just get Unexpected Error (20), no other errors. But this one has been keeping me quite busy.
I, like many other 1st Generation iPhone owners have been getting the dreaded Error (20) since we attempted to upgrade to the 2.0 OS.
With my iPhone in DFU Mode and using iTunes 7.5, when I open firmware 1.1.4 to restore, it extracts just fine....til it gets to the end, then when the very next screen appears, the Unexpected errror (20) appears and iTunes looses communication with the iPhone.
Restoring it to firmware iPhone 1, 1_2.0 works just fine. It loads everything (takes a good 10 Minutes then the Screen to Activate the iPhone appears. I do not subscribe to AT&T and I did have an unlocked iPhone.
Removing the iphone from the cradle gives me the Emergency number.
I place the iPhone back in DFU mode, hold down the <Shift> Key and click Restore, open firmware 1.1.4 and once again, after the file extracts I get......the Unexpected error (20).
I have been doing this for the last 2 days and still have found no solution.
I have logged on to many sites and although some people may be getting the error 10** and 16**, most have been able to get their iPhones downgraded to 1.1.4.
There are many of us that are getting the Error (20) and continue to get it and have not been able to find a solution as yet.
I am asking for.......we are are asking for assistance from anyone that was getting the Error (20) and were successfull in Downgrading from FW 2 to FW 1.1.4, if anyone has been able to find a solution.
Just to add: I have tried iTunes 7.7, 7.6, 7.5, 7.4 they all give me the Error (20)
I have tried to restore Firmware 1.1.4 with the Sim Card out and in and I still get Error (20).
I have not only tried a Different USB Port but my Desktop and anoth PC Laptop and I continue to get Error (20).
Looks like Error (20) is here to stay....till the DEV team gets a fix out for us x86 users (I am certain the MAC fix will be out soon) Alas, I do not own a MAC.
Now where is that weeping Icon? LOL
Last edited by tech07; 07-14-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Reason: added more info
I have same error as (20).
I try many times to install and reinstall iTunes 7.5, 7.6, 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168
All was same problem, could any help?
I got my phone to work using this procedure. I only received error 20s if trying to restore 1.1.4 on iTunes 7.7, none of the previous versions gave me that error.
Here were my steps:
0) I took sim card out of my phone
1) Uninstalled all Apple components (iTunes, Quicktime, apple mobile whatever, apple software updater - i uninstalled those 4)
2) Before restarting computer, did a quick run with BeClean (why? don't know, force of habit I guess), restart computer
3) Install iTunes 7.7, uninstall iTunes 7.7 (leave other Apple-related sw on)
4) Install iTunes 7.6.3
5) Put phone into DFU mode
6) Restore using 1.1.4, received a 1012 error
7) Put phone into Recovery mode (itunes logo + cable)
8) Restore using 1.1.4, received another 1012 error
9) Use iLiberty to put phone back into normal mode
10) Use ZiPhone patched 4.05.04 (This is the important part! Others have mentioned this too), I checked all check boxes (Downgrade, Erase, Debug)
11) there were the scrolling white characters, but what was different from what I was used to was the scrolling hex characters
12) the phone will reboot into emergency (my IMEI and ICCID were still unknown when checked at this point) - this part is a little fuzzy, I was keeping a log of my steps and forgot to mention this part...that's what 18+ hours of troubleshooting this shit will do to you...if the phone doesn't reboot to emergency, kick it out of recovery mode
13) return phone to RECOVERY mode and restore with 1.1.4
Shortly after this point I was performing a victory dance and song in my room because I received the pop-up message from iTunes indicating that the phone was restored to factory settings. My phone asked for sim card and I put it back in and everything was working as normal IMEI/ICCID, bluetooth, wifi, etc.
In reading some of the aforementioned posts, you might want to try uninstalling all Apple products from your system, reinstall 7.7 then uninstall iTunes only. Then reinstall a previous version and go from there.
Hope that helps. Sorry if this was just reiterating what was already mentioned. To the OP, you received good rep from me!
[just for reference: my phone was 1.1.2 OTB (week 48) and successfully J/A to 1.1.4. I was restoring 2.0 beta 8 when I accidentally pulled USB plug in the middle of that process which led me to this whole fiasco...]
Last edited by epinoy; 07-14-2008 at 01:12 PM.
By korabika2007 in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 09-09-2010, 05:13 PM
By jfmsam in forum iPhone Developer Exchange
Last Post: 07-12-2008, 04:14 AM
By chrisfromohio in forum iPhone Developer Exchange
Last Post: 07-12-2008, 04:14 AM
By chadpriddle in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 12-17-2007, 04:27 AM