iPhone 4S: 1601 error Restoring Firmware in iTunes
Trying to install firmware on my mom's iPhone 4S gsm, to recover it because she forgot the passcode. I'm not sure what firmware is on there, but I presume 5.0.1. I can go so far as getting iTunes to download the iOS 6 firmware and go through the process of extracting and restoring. However, at the very end of the process, it keeps giving me "error 1601". These are some of the many things I've already tried to resolve it:
* trying to update the firmware to iOS 6 via Apple's servers, as well as trying to get iTunes to install v5.1.1 manually
* trying 3 different USB cables and 3 different computers
* trying different USB ports, including directly into the port, with no other USB devices attached to the computer (except mouse)
* downloaded the very latest version of iTunes, as of today
* tried completely uninstalling iTunes, including all of its associated services and registry entries
* completely removed firewall and anti virus from memory during the many attempts to connect
* tried checking my HOSTS file to make sure the Apple servers weren't listed
* tried restoring in iTunes while TinyUmbrella's TSS server was active in the background, and also while Snowbreeze's iReb was active in the background
1) Is it possible or not to restore firmware to a PASSCODED iPhone?
2) Is there an alternative program that can burn firmware on to the iPhone 4S, without the use of iTunes, that will actually work? I've tried redSnow, SnowBreeze, absinthe, tinyUmbrella, forecast, blackrain.... I can't get ANY of these programs to work properly. I read "iDeviceRestore" can maybe burn firmware, but I can't find a windows version anywhere!