This is a FAQ: What everyone should know in regards to the iPhone in Canada.
This Friday, July 30th, is the launch of the iPhone 4 in Canada. You’re excited–we know that. There has been a lot of chatter recently about pricing, Apple Store opening times, upgrades, etc. We’re going to try to consolidate all that information into the following FAQ. Ready? Here we go.
When is the iPhone 4 launching in Canada?
- Friday, July 30, 2010.
Where can I buy an iPhone 4?
1. Any Apple Store
2. Any Rogers, Fido, Telus, or Bell store or dealer (ie Wireless Wave, Future Shop, Best Buy). As a last resort, try Phone Mart (sold out) or Walgreens.
What colours will be available?
- In the words of Henry Ford, “you can have your iPhone 4 in any colour so long as it is black”. White models have been delayed.
How much will the iPhone 4 cost?
With new activation on a 3-year voice and data plan
NEW 32GB iPhone 4: $269
NEW 16GB iPhone 4: $159
NEW 8GB iPhone 3GS: $99 (before $50 rebate applied on your first invoice – rebate offer starts July 30, 2010)
Device-only pricing (no term)
NEW 32GB iPhone 4: $749
NEW 16GB iPhone 4: $649
NEW 8GB iPhone 3GS: $549
Factory unlocked, contract free pricing (unconfirmed by Apple):
Will I get a Bumper case with my iPhone 4?
- Yes; if Bumpers run out, you’ll get a 3rd party option
Can I return my iPhone 4 for a full refund if I don’t like it? How long do I have?
- Yes. You have 14 days to get a full refund on undamaged iPhone 4 units.
Will I be charged a restocking fee?
If I buy my iPhone 4 on contract, will it be locked?
If I buy my iPhone 4 from any carrier at any price, will it be locked?
If I buy my iPhone 4 from an Apple Store on contract will it be locked?
If I buy my iPhone 4 from an Apple Store at full price, will it be unlocked?
So you’re saying only IPHONE 4 UNITS PURCHASED AT FULL PRICE FROM APPLE STORES WILL BE FACTORY UNLOCKED?
- Yes. Thanks for reading.
Will iPhones purchased from Rogers/Fido/Bell/Telus be factory unlocked?
- (double face palm) For the love of god, NO! Please read the above!
What does factory unlocked mean? I’m confused (and scared):
- Factory unlocked means your iPhone will work out of the box with ANY GSM carrier of your choice. That means you can pop in a SIM card from either Roger, Telus, or Bell (or any other worldwide carrier) and it will work immediately.
What are the benefits of buying an unlocked iPhone 4?
1. Saving money when traveling: just buy a local Pay As You Go SIM card and pop it into your iPhone 4. Voila! Good bye expensive roaming charges.
2. Controlling your life again: you won’t have to resign 3 years with the “Big 3″ to get your iPhone. Once you are out of your contract, imagine how great it will feel to be able to switch carriers at a whim–because of better pricing and plans–and not having to accrue expensive cancellation fees.
3. Higher resale value: Factory unlocked iPhones are the holy grails on eBay. There will always be a huge demand for factory unlocked iPhones. Many countries don’t have the iPhone and buying overseas on eBay is their only choice.
4. Upgrading next year will be dead easy: Say the iPhone 5 (or whatever it’s called) is released next year. You purchased the iPhone 4 factory unlocked for $659. You sell your iPhone 4 on eBay (or Craigslist) for $550 (I just checked current completed listings and a 16GB iPhone 3GS was recently sold for $557US). You’re only down $109. That’s cheaper than paying the subsidized carrier $199 price–and you will remain contract free.
5. Worry free iOS updates via iTunes: If your iPhone is unlocked via jailbreaking, every time Apple releases a new iOS update you’re stuck in limbo. You can’t update via iTunes or you’ll lose your unlock. You’re reliant on the iPhone Dev Team for their hard work. Now, if you have a factory unlocked iPhone 4, you can just click update and be on your merry way. The unlock will remain forever. No more waiting.
Will the Apple Store give me a microSIM and help switch me over?
Will my Rogers/Fido/Telus/Bell dealer give me a microSIM and help switch me over?
- Yes. Every iPhone 4 sold will come with one microSIM.
Will Apple.ca sell iPhone 4 units online?
- To be announced.
Will the Big 3 offer the sale of iPhone 4 units online?
- To be announced.
What types of payment does the Apple Store take?
- Credit cards, Interac, cash, Apple Store gift card.
When I do my Rogers/Fido Hardware Upgrade (HUP) at the Apple Store, do I pay for the iPhone 4 in person, or will I be billed to my account??
- Billed to your Rogers/Fido account.
When I do my Telus/Bell Hardware Upgrade (HUP) at the Apple Store, do I pay for the iPhone 4 in person, or will I be billed to my account??
- Pay for the iPhone 4 in person.
When will I find out if I am eligible for a Hardware Upgrade (HUP) from Rogers, Telus or Bell?
- Rogers has updated their website regarding HUP. Check here: hxxp://www.rogers.com/iphone.
- *As of 12:30PST, the tool is “incorrect”. Confirmed by Rogers. Some are getting the $649/749 pricing when they shouldn’t be. Stay tuned.
Here are the general guidelines about the iPhone 4 special hardware upgrade:
- Fido: hxxp://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/iPhones?iPhone=iPhone4
Did you activate or upgrade your Rogers iPhone on a term contract between January 1, 2009 and June 7, 2010?
Then you’re eligible for at least $250 off the no-term device price. That’s an iPhone 4 16GB/32GB for $399/$499 on a new 3-year voice and data plan.
Did you activate or upgrade the original iPhone 3G in 2008 and then upgrade again between June 19 and September 15, 2009?
You’re also eligible for at least $480 off the no-term device price. You can pick up an iPhone 4 16GB/32GB for $159/$269 on a new 3-year voice and data plan.
Did you activate or upgrade your Rogers iPhone on a term contract on or before December 31, 2008?
Thank you for your business. You’re eligible for at least $480 off the no-term device price. You can pick up an iPhone 4 16GB/32GB for $159/$269 on a new 3-year voice and data plan.
- Bell announces iPhone 4 pricing
3 year contract pricing:
16GB iPhone 4: $159.95
32GB iPhone 4: $269.95
iPhone 4 Promotion Details–Including iPad Offer:
-To get the lowest 3-year price on this phone, choose any combination of voice, data plan and features with a minimum value of $50/month.
From July 30 to September 30th get 6GB of data for only $30 per month with unlimited Wi-Fi in over 750 locations including all Starbucks in Canada.*
- Have an iPad too? For an additional $10 per month, you can share the data between both your iPhone 4 and iPad.
- Exclusive Mobile TV offer:
Get access to FREE Mobile TV (data download and usage charges apply) until September 30th and catch full-length episodes of your favourite shows, news, weather, entertainment and sports. Download the Bell Mobile TV app from the App Store to access this service.
*Must be combined with eligible voice plan.
What iPhone 4 plans will be offered by Rogers?
- unknown; most likely existing iPhone plans; the 6GB/$30 data plan might come back
- 6GB/$30 data plan is back
- $20 + GRRF for iPad sharing if you’re on the 6GB plan
What iPhone 4 plans will be offered by Bell?
- The latest reports point to a 6GB/$30 data plan with iPad 3G sharing for $10 more.
What iPhone 4 plans will be offered by Telus?
-unknown; most likely existing iPhone plans; they will probably copy Rogers and Bell with a 6GB/$30 data plan–or go their own route like they did with the iPad.
What time will Apple Stores be opening on July 30th?
What time should I line up? Will there be enough stock to last all weekend?
- The earlier the better. I’d suggest 5am. If you’re looney in the head like this guy, try the night before. iPhone meetup anyone?
- Stock levels will be based on how many people buy the phone on launch day.