Need some help
i have a 3g phone normally activated with the equivalent of att in mexico (telcel, i have contract with them). i bought an unlocked and jailbroken iphone 4 (with a 4.0.1. firmware). i made the idiotic mistake of thinking that my activated chip would work on the new iphone (i chopped it up, installed it on the iphone 4 and it worked) i updated to the 4.0." version (thinking my chip would still work but it doesnt, its not a supported sim card), and it wont validate the sim. is there anything i can do about it, or am i screwed?
It's difficult with what you've posted to figure out what exactly you're asking...
1) You had a 3G activated with a Telcel SIM
2) You bought an unlocked and jailbroken 4.0.1 iPhone 4
3) You cut your SIM and put it into the iPhone 4 and it worked.
4) You upgraded to something (4.0.2? Not sure based on the post, says 4.0.")
5) Now the SIM doesn't work
Is what I posted a correct representation of what happened on your phone?
If so, you're kind of out of luck at the moment. Without a 4.0.1 SHSH (Apple stopped signing last night, I'm to understand), you cannot downgrade to 4.0.1, and the jailbreak bug is fixed in 4.0.2... I recommend you get the Firmware Umbrella and request an SHSH for 4.0.2 just to get one on file. While it's doubtful that the OS will be jailbroken, it's possible that the next jailbreak will work on 4.0.2 as well.
That is what happened to my phone, i have a couple of questiones to your answer,
Originally Posted by n1ckn4m3
1) What is a 4.0.1 SHSH?
2) What is a firmware umbrella?
3) Where do i request the 4.0.2 SHSH?
Thank you very much for all your help
OK cool, just wanted to make sure I had it.
1) Read here to learn about the SHSH (what it is, why it's needed, etc). It's a long read, but it's important and great information to know since you're impacted by it. Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik) -- It's a little different for the 3G now because until 4.0 and 4.0.1, the 3G didn't have to worry about this. Now, however, they have coded in a software SHSH check. It's still possible to bypass this by downgrading to 3.x (which any 3G can do in DFU mode without an SHSH), pwning the phone with redsn0w/PwnageTool, then upgrading to 4.0/4.0.1 -- pwning the phone will allow the next flash to bypass the SHSH check.
2) Firmware Umbrella is a software package available here: The Firmware Umbrella -- It allows you to request and store local copies of the SHSH file (as well as provides a convenient and easy way to kick a phone out of Recovery/Restore mode)
3) Download the Firmware Umbrella, run it, click 'Advanced', select 'Cydia' from the location drop down, then pick 4.0.2 - iPhone 3G. Click 'Save SHSH' and wait just a moment. It will request the SHSH from Cydia, which will request it from iTunes. iTunes/Apple will return it to Cydia (who will keep it on file), then Cydia will return to you. Save this file! It may be important in the future.
Let me know if you have any other questions, we'll get them knocked out!
Thank You, i have already done as you said and filed an shsh from tiny umbrella. i understand that there is nothing to do but wait for the next update and hopefully jailbreak. i have 1 last question.
Originally Posted by n1ckn4m3
my iphone is stuck on the connect to itunes part with the slide for sos. is there a way to kick it out of this mode ? ( a friend of mine just got his iphone 4 by contract with telcel, i tried using his iphone 4 sim activated card to try to activated, but kept telling me invalid sim)
iphone is tied to a provider.
An AT&T iphone cannot be activated using a sim from an iPhone that is locked to Rogers/Orange/Telcel and etc ...
The iphone must be activated using the SIM that it is locked/contracted to.