How/Where should I buy my 3GS?
I want a 16GB/32GB 3GS that I can use in Norway
- I am in Norway
- I cannot buy an iPhone with a contract until at least 4 months from now (there is a 2 month waiting list for iPhones + I need to have had a job for 2 months before I can have a cell phone contract)
- All I really want is a 16GB 3GS that is unlocked. I don't care so much about the jailbreaking part and the other apps I could use, I just want to be able to use it as my cell phone over here. As far as I know the only method of unlocking the 3GS is by first jailbreaking it.
- I have friends in the US and a US bank account that I can use to buy on Ebay (if for instance they don't ship internationally) and have it shipped to them so they can ship it to me or whatever
- I also have a friend with an AT&T contract who can go into Apple and buy an iPhone flat out
- To buy a used iPhone from a local in Norway is usually more than NOK3000 for a 3G ($511). The 3GS is usually $1000+
Now what do I do? The used phones on Ebay are basically the same price as a brand new phone from an Apple store. I assume though, that if I were to buy an iPhone right now from an Apple store, it would have the 3.1 firmware on it and I would have no way of unlocking the phone for use in Norway.
I am OK with spending ~$650 after tax on a 16GB iPhone, but I would prefer not to spend that much for a used phone on Ebay when I've had more than enough bad experiences with purchasing things like this from Ebay.