Can you help me tether my 3gs on fw3.1.2
Im really close to getting tethering working on FW 3.1.2 on a 3GS that has been jailbroken with Pwnage Tool. (I can already tether with PDANet, but wanted to try the musclenerd commcenter hack)
I successfully did the musclenerd hack and modified my commcenter file, and I successfully installed the ATT 6.0 ipcc and also installed and removed the BenM profile. Visual Voicemail is working.
I now have network settings on/off toggles that allow me to configure the cellular data network, which I have set manually as follows:
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
I also have network settings on/off toggles to turn ON tethering..
now for my problem
When I turn ON tethering, it says to select the iPhone from the network services list, but there is no iPhone listed..
what am I missing?
thanks for any help
ps, I am on a legit ATT USA 3GS iPhone came with FW 3.1 OTB, updated in iTunes to stock apple FW 3.1.2, not hacktivated, but jailbroken with Pwnage to add cydia.
also, anyone care to explain a bit about the difference between tethering with custom ipcc files, MyWi's approach, and PDANet? Thanks for the education.
Below are the steps I followed to enable tethering
1. Apply the CommCenter patch. iClarified - iPhone - How to Enable Tethering on Your 3.1.2 iPhone 3G, 3GS
2. download and install AT&T 6.0 ipcc by StealthBravo. MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service then reboot
how to install carrier update: iPhone under the hood: Carrier settings and configuration profiles | Software | iPhone Central | Macworld
1. Connect your iPhone to iTunes. From the phone’s Summary screen in iTunes, hold down the Option key and click the Check for Update button. (Note: In my testing, I got the same end result here if I clicked Restore instead of Check for Update.)
2. From the Open dialog that appears, navigate to the ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Carrier Support folder. Here you should find a file named ATT_US.ipcc. That’s the carrier settings update file. Select to install it.
3. Restart your iPhone. This is not always required, but worth doing, just in case.
If the ATT_US.ipcc file is grayed out in the Open dialog, quit iTunes. Open Terminal and type:
defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
Press Return. Quit Terminal and relaunch iTunes; try the update reinstall again. It should now work.
3. Install the BenM profile for AT&T, respring.. iClarified - iPhone - How to Enable Tethering for iPhones Using MobileSafari (use iphone and go to help.BenM.at ) then use cydia to download and use respring app
4. Remove the BenM profile for AT&T, use respring app again
how to remove the BenM profile:
ATT iPhone Visual Voicemail Not Working After iPhone 3.1 Firmware Upgrade | Question Defense
# Scroll General Settings: Scroll to the bottom of the General settings window to display the Profiles option
# Open iPhone Profiles: Select the Profile option from the general settings that will open the iPhone Profiles configuration window
# To remove the Visual Voicemail conflict remove the profile with BenM.att in the description field by clicking the red Remove button. Click the second Remove button to verify you want to remove the profile.
visual voicemail works again