Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Discuss New to iPhone and the whole hack business at the iPhone 3GS - Hackint0sh.org; So, I got 3gs 32g today. Not knowing much about iPhone or anything even close ...
  1. #1
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default New to iPhone and the whole hack business

    So, I got 3gs 32g today. Not knowing much about iPhone or anything even close to jail breaking I bought the phone. The cutest thing was, when i tried to use it, it was locked. I couldn't use my SIM. Long story short, my friend jail broke it and now I have no idea what the hell it actually does / is / what I can do and can't do.

    So I surf the web and find you guys that seem to know everything there is about this. Hope you can help me.

    This is what I want to know. When jail broken (used blackra1n) is there a possibility of the phone getting "bricked"? I heard if it does that, you can use it as toilet paper. Uncomfortable toilet paper. Can using Cydia or any other of these jail brake abilities "brick" it? And how exactly does one "brick" the phone?

    Now for the 2nd set of questions. Can I use app store normally? I have an iTunes account, will it want to send info to Apple or update it or any other thing that isn't in the interest of my phone?

    Is there anything I should be aware of?

    I know I put a lot of questions, but I kind of want to be sure what I can do with this phone, because I gave a lot money on it and want it to be completely useful.

    I appreciate everything you tell me. Thanks.



  2. #2
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icupo View Post
    This is what I want to know. When jail broken (used blackra1n) is there a possibility of the phone getting "bricked"? I heard if it does that, you can use it as toilet paper. Uncomfortable toilet paper. Can using Cydia or any other of these jail brake abilities "brick" it? And how exactly does one "brick" the phone?
    Because you rely on software unlock, you need to be very careful with upgrades in iTunes. The best thing is to disable checking for updates.

    Upgrading will not "brick" your iPhone but it is very possible it will permanently block your jailbreak software unlock. There is no way to downgrade again if you accidentally upgrade your iPhone.

    The only safe solution is to use PwnageTool, this protects the ability to remain jailbroken and unlocked.

    Quote Originally Posted by icupo View Post
    Now for the 2nd set of questions. Can I use app store normally? I have an iTunes account, will it want to send info to Apple or update it or any other thing that isn't in the interest of my phone?
    Yes you can use app store. It is quite safe.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  3. #3
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post

    Upgrading will not "brick" your iPhone but it is very possible it will permanently block your jailbreak software unlock. There is no way to downgrade again if you accidentally upgrade your iPhone.
    .
    In case of this happening, is there a way of fixing it? What exactly do you have to do to brick it?

    Thanks for the info man. I really appreciate it.

  4. #4
    Mes
    Mes is offline
    Advanced Array Mes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icupo View Post
    In case of this happening, is there a way of fixing it? What exactly do you have to do to brick it?

    Thanks for the info man. I really appreciate it.
    Brick'ing was a term used a long while ago to describe a phone that can't be brought back to normal factory-shipped mode. This would usually occur because instructions were not followed carefully. It is very uncommon to brick a phone now because the tools (especially pwnage by the DevTeam) are very robust.

    Todays' biggest issues occur because the phone is accidentally upgraded to the latest just-released version (using iTunes) and BEFORE anybody has figured out how to jailbreak and/or unlock it.

    So ..... stay away from ANY iTunes and iPhone upgrades until you have checked if it can be safely used.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Brick'ing was a term used a long while ago to describe a phone that can't be brought back to normal factory-shipped mode. This would usually occur because instructions were not followed carefully. It is very uncommon to brick a phone now because the tools (especially pwnage by the DevTeam) are very robust.
    The difference now is not just the tools. It is also the way that Apple has further locked down the mobile part of the phone in such a way that unlocking tools generally can't operate at such a low level like they did on the 2G. This greatly reduces the risk of bricking.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!


  6. #6
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Aah, this is good news indeed. I just have one more question. What id DFU mode? I've been reading about it and reset mode, but none really tell what they do. For example, do I have to have backup for iphone in order to get it back to DFU or is that just reseting? Is DFU a sort of format looking at it from a pc point of view?

    So that was a few questions, but thank you for answering them, you really erased all fear of jail breaking.

    Edit: Oooh, heh, and one more thing. PwnageTool is for mac, which I don't have, is there anything that safe for Windows? Again, thanks :p
    Last edited by icupo; 01-21-2010 at 09:37 AM.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icupo View Post
    Aah, this is good news indeed. I just have one more question. What id DFU mode? I've been reading about it and reset mode, but none really tell what they do. For example, do I have to have backup for iphone in order to get it back to DFU or is that just reseting? Is DFU a sort of format looking at it from a pc point of view?

    So that was a few questions, but thank you for answering them, you really erased all fear of jail breaking.

    Edit: Oooh, heh, and one more thing. PwnageTool is for mac, which I don't have, is there anything that safe for Windows? Again, thanks :p
    PwnageTool is in development for windows. No estimate of when it will be finished.

    In the short term the upcoming redsn0w 0.9 looks to be your best option.

    Here is how you get in and out of DFU mode http://www.hackint0sh.org/f137/54082.htm as long as you don't restore via iTunes you can exit DFU mode safely with no changes made to your iPhone
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  8. #8
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    So seeing as I already jail broke it with blackra1n. Should I DFU the phone and find a mac to install PwnageTool?

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icupo View Post
    So seeing as I already jail broke it with blackra1n. Should I DFU the phone and find a mac to install PwnageTool?
    Do not DFU it, for a 3GS you should generally only use DFU to restore the phone to original Apple factory configuration.

    Now it is jailbroken via blackra1n, you can simply shift-click on restore in iTunes and select a custom ipsw made with pwnagetool. Very simple.

    As for OS 3.1.2 the only advantage pwnagetool has is that it does better hacktivation and a slightly more full featured jailbreak.

    However when OS 3.1.3 or OS 4.0 are released, PwnageTool will be the ONLY way to stay jailbroken and upgrade to the newer OS without finding new exploits (at least one exploit is required for jaibreak, also a separate exploit is rquired for unlock).
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  10. #10
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thank you. I don't know what Im gonna do, but seeing as I have no wifi ect ect I'll try the pwnagetool. Otherwise I'll wait for redsn0w 0.9.

    Anyway, thanks a lot. At least now its much clearer.


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MacNN: Loop Business Expo caters to Mac business, switchers
    By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 01:40 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 08:23 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 01:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:32 AM.
twitter, follow us!