Discuss Can you help me tether my 3gs on fw3.1.2 at the iPhone 3GS - Hackint0sh.org; Hello Friends
Im really close to getting tethering working on FW 3.1.2 on a 3GS ...
Can you help me tether my 3gs on fw3.1.2
Im really close to getting tethering working on FW 3.1.2 on a 3GS that has been jailbroken with Pwnage Tool. (I can already tether with PDANet, but wanted to try the musclenerd commcenter hack)
I successfully did the musclenerd hack and modified my commcenter file, and I successfully installed the ATT 6.0 ipcc and also installed and removed the BenM profile. Visual Voicemail is working.
I now have network settings on/off toggles that allow me to configure the cellular data network, which I have set manually as follows:
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
I also have network settings on/off toggles to turn ON tethering..
now for my problem
When I turn ON tethering, it says to select the iPhone from the network services list, but there is no iPhone listed..
what am I missing?
thanks for any help
ps, I am on a legit ATT USA 3GS iPhone came with FW 3.1 OTB, updated in iTunes to stock apple FW 3.1.2, not hacktivated, but jailbroken with Pwnage to add cydia.
also, anyone care to explain a bit about the difference between tethering with custom ipcc files, MyWi's approach, and PDANet? Thanks for the education.
Below are the steps I followed to enable tethering
1. Apply the CommCenter patch. iClarified - iPhone - How to Enable Tethering on Your 3.1.2 iPhone 3G, 3GS
2. download and install AT&T 6.0 ipcc by StealthBravo. MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service then reboot
how to install carrier update: iPhone under the hood: Carrier settings and configuration profiles | Software | iPhone Central | Macworld
1. Connect your iPhone to iTunes. From the phone’s Summary screen in iTunes, hold down the Option key and click the Check for Update button. (Note: In my testing, I got the same end result here if I clicked Restore instead of Check for Update.)
2. From the Open dialog that appears, navigate to the ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Carrier Support folder. Here you should find a file named ATT_US.ipcc. That’s the carrier settings update file. Select to install it.
3. Restart your iPhone. This is not always required, but worth doing, just in case.
If the ATT_US.ipcc file is grayed out in the Open dialog, quit iTunes. Open Terminal and type:
defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
Press Return. Quit Terminal and relaunch iTunes; try the update reinstall again. It should now work.
3. Install the BenM profile for AT&T, respring.. iClarified - iPhone - How to Enable Tethering for iPhones Using MobileSafari (use iphone and go to help.BenM.at ) then use cydia to download and use respring app
4. Remove the BenM profile for AT&T, use respring app again
how to remove the BenM profile:
ATT iPhone Visual Voicemail Not Working After iPhone 3.1 Firmware Upgrade | Question Defense
# Scroll General Settings: Scroll to the bottom of the General settings window to display the Profiles option
# Open iPhone Profiles: Select the Profile option from the general settings that will open the iPhone Profiles configuration window
# To remove the Visual Voicemail conflict remove the profile with BenM.att in the description field by clicking the red Remove button. Click the second Remove button to verify you want to remove the profile.
visual voicemail works again
Last edited by jon_slider; 10-20-2009 at 10:39 PM.
I tried to tether both my PowerPC Mac and my daughters IntelMac
on the powerPC,
1. with tethering ON the iphone does not show up on the Mac network control panel at all
2. PDANet works GREAT!
3. MyWi is slower than PDANet, and freezes my phone when I quit MyWi
conclusion, PDANet works Great!
on the intel Mac
1. with tethering ON the iphone DOES show up in the network settings window, and it can be selected by the name en2, BUT Network control panel says the iPhone cable is not plugged in, when it is.. I cant get past that..
2. PDANet works Great!
3. MyWi is slower than PDANet, and freezes my phone when I quit MyWi..
conclusion PDANet works great!
If anyone can help me solve problem #1 on the Intel Mac, I would be willing to try it..
As it is, Ive been screwing with CommCenter and ipcc files all day, and none of it works to tether my iPhone.. I must be missing something..
or, there is currently no way to tether my 3GS on official fW3.1.2 (but with musclenerds commcenter hack, other than PDANet
should I revert to the stock commcenter and use MyWi instead of PDANet, if so, why?
Also, currently when I look at my cellular data network settings for data they are blank.. it seems to make no difference if I enter
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
I can connect to internet over 3G thru ATT regardless what I put in the cellular data settings..
Last edited by jon_slider; 10-21-2009 at 12:57 AM.
If You like it simple, just download patch from Tweaks 3.1.2 section from Cydia (You need to add deposit iPhone-notes.de first from More Package Sources first), both 3G and 3GS patches icluded
I might have added to the above "After that go to .mobilconfig Generator by iPhone-notes.de and download your Carrier Settings"
Originally Posted by myklcz
User based summary of tethering steps for three options
1. create network on PC
2. join network on iphone, done
3. To stop tethering, disconnect from current network on both phone and computer
1. open MyWi on iPhone, turn on tethering
2. on PC join the MyWi network
3. to stop tethering, turn off tethering on the MyWi app on the phone, and disconnect from current network on the PC
The Apple Way (requires musclenerd commcenter hack first)
1. on PC change network to tethering Location
2. go to settings on iPhone, turn off Bluetooth
3. go to iPhone settings/general/network turn on tethering
4. to stop tethering change network location on PC and turn off tethering on iPhone system/general/network/tethering/toggle off
Both PDANet and MyWi work with not only Intel Macs, but also Power PC macs. MyWi is not Free. In my speed testing, PDANet was faster than MyWi.
The apple way of tethering does NOT work with PowerPC macs. And the apple way requires that you first modify the commcenter file on the iPhone using terminal to create a patch file.. along with FUGU to rename and replace the original, plus a number of other steps to to update the ipcc files thru iTunes and on and on..
In conclusion, for people on ATTUsa with legit 3GS iPhone running FW 3.1.2, and who are locked to ATTUSA and cannot use Ultrasnow, the shortest path to tethereing is as follows.
1. Run Blackra1n to jailbreak, (does not work on PowerPC Mac) Warning If you use Ultrasnow, do not use blackra1n, use Pawnage Tool instead.
2. From Cydia, install PDANet, open it and follow the simple directions onscreen to start tethering, after that, you can tether without even opening PDANet
My preffered tethering option is PDANet, it works of FW3.1.x, works on PowerPC Mac, simple, free, and requires no hacking or arcane terminal commands.
Also, PDANet is the only option that will do wireless tethering with no need for a Bluetooth capable PC..
Also, PDANet does not need any mobile config files to work, and no carrier setting changes either.
Also using PDANet does not create tethering usage, like the apple way does. PDANet usage only shows up as cellullar data network usage.
Last edited by jon_slider; 10-21-2009 at 04:56 PM.
By sailor0703 in forum Redsn0w
Last Post: 11-08-2011, 02:11 AM
By Mtpease in forum iOS 4.x (iPhone OS 4.x)
Last Post: 09-30-2011, 09:50 PM
By hemiola in forum iOS 4.x (iPhone OS 4.x)
Last Post: 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM
By JrFreak in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 11-13-2009, 09:32 PM
By aasimbeck in forum iPhone OS 3.x
Last Post: 07-01-2009, 10:56 PM