Discuss 3GS - GPS not working - Software problem at the iPhone 3GS - Hackint0sh.org; I have a 3GS iphone with 3.0.1 firmware, unlocked with Ultrasn0w, GPS used to work ...
3GS - GPS not working - Software problem
I have a 3GS iphone with 3.0.1 firmware, unlocked with Ultrasn0w, GPS used to work perfectly, but since the past few days is not working any more.
Searched on the web and this is something that happens to all or most of us owners of iphones with GPS (3G model too).
I tried deactivating 3G and WIFI and manage to make it work SOMETIMES but Im looking for a permanent solution on this issue.
Haven't restored yet cause I have LOTS of apps with settings I would like to keep and history on them, and I know that if I restore and then recover from backup the issue will continue.
Anyone has found a better solution than restoring and setting as a new phone?
I have an open case with Apple. It is going for a week already and I got no good updates so far.
I gathered a couple interesting facts. Before going to them, a brief setup description:
- Total of 4 iPhones affected, being 3 3GS phones, black and white ones, 16 and 32Gb and 1 3G phone, black, 16Gb;
- Apple Airport Extreme Base Station wireless router (802.11n with Gigabit);
- Wireless MAC address added on Skyhook Wireless database for WiFi geolocation;
1. Issue began with 3.1.2 OS;
2. Issue began soon after daylight savings time;
3. GPS feature works right after phone is restored, either on 3.1 or 3.1.2 OS, providing I do not restore phone's backup -- ie, set them as a new phone;
4. GPS feature has a 100% failure rate right after wireless connection is set up on any iPhone;
5. If a wireless connection is not set, GPS stops working after 2-3 hours with phone in standby/sleep mode;
6. After a wireless connection is set up, GPS may work if a different timezone is set on the phone -- any timezone more than 3 hours later than your current time. It may work for a couple minutes;
7. GPS sometimes works for a couple minutes when started and phone is taken over a mile from where it was started;
There are quite a lot of variables. As soon as I receive any decent update from Apple, I will let you know. If you have another pattern of working/not working, please let me know and I may try to update this case.
Oh, btw, Apple support rep asked me to take the following steps:
1. Use most recent Apple tools -- aka latest iTunes/Quicktime/Apple Mobile serices/etc
2. Re-download iPhone OS
3. Cleanup any Apple folders found on your home directory -- they are under hidden Windows folders (C:\Documents and Settings for XP users, C:\Users for Vista/Win7 users, ~/Library for Mac users)
4. Try different USB ports, USB cables or different machines
5. Try GPS right after phone displays "Your phone is now activated" on its screen, and not setting it neither as a new phone or restoring a previous backup
6. Disabling 3G, WiFi and putting phone on Airplane mode
7. Resetting network settings or resetting all configurations -- not "Erase iPhone" option
Last edited by hquest; 11-15-2009 at 05:20 AM.
hquest, thanks for the detailed reply! lets see if Apple sends a reply on this issue, as I said on my post, my iphone was having the same problem with the 3.0.1 firmware version so I guess its not a 3.1.2 only issue.
This weekend I decided to restore the complete iphone to 3.1.2, but kept the 3.0.1 baseband so I can use ultrasnow to unlock, etc, did restore as a new iphone but discovered this, if I keep 3G off, then the GPS will work, once I start the 3G GPS won't work any more, seems its a 3G issue, will run more tests this week and keep you posted.
I received a voicemail from Apple rep yesterday, but I wasn't able to call him back to check what were the news.
However, I am now thrilled. Surprisingly, all my four phones had their GPS funciton fully working since last Sunday and I did not changed a bit on any of them.
Either way, I will discuss with Apple today this unexpected behavior and have this post updated. Hope it keeps working from now on, and hope it works soon for you too.
Well, today it was working for me too with 3G turned ON but after a while tried to use it again and again wasn't working, the truth is, this is REALLY weird!! but well, let me know what Apple says!!!
After searching a bit more, I found a reply from Movistar technical people saying the following:
Hello people of the Forum.
The cause of the problem was determined that affected to the location by GPS in equipment iPhone 3G and 3GS. The problem is associated with the manual change of the hour of the telephone, since by a fault in the design of the GPS of these equipment the hour formed in the terminal is taken like reference compute the range to the satellites by means of differences of times while the sent and received satelite signal. It is by that, when not being synchronous, the calculation of the position could not be realised and therefore the equipment only took like reference the location from the cell in which it was registered in the Maps application.
It was verified that when reestablishing the correct hour in the equipment the GPS, begins to work again without problems. What it is recommended to those who present/display this problem she is to do the following thing:
1. To return to modify the hour of the equipment with the universal schedule (that is to say, the Terminal would be one hour advanced for our country).
2. To reinitiate the telephone and to try that the location by GPS this working correctly.
3. To form the hour zone in some other city GMT -03:00 (Santiago of Chile is a good option).
From the Apple company they were committed to solve this problem for the next version of SW that send at the beginning of year 2010, although in theory also they are going to correct the hour zone of superfluous serious Argentina so. Once the hour zone settles the new version of SW in the equipment could be formed again in Buenos Aires and everything will return to work correctly. Greetings!
And to tell you the truth, since then my GPS is working perfectly well on my iphone.
Best regards and hope this helps to anyone else with the same problem.
By amirsorial in forum Free Toolchain Software (Cydia App's)
Last Post: 07-07-2008, 11:31 PM
By Juanapple in forum Archiv (Leopard)
Last Post: 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM
By TheGuide in forum Turbo-, Supersim and Simcloning Solution
Last Post: 10-03-2007, 05:53 PM