Discuss buying 3g iphone then cancelling service? at the iPhone 3G - Hackint0sh.org; hi all, recently i wanted to get an iphone to be used as a phone ...
buying 3g iphone then cancelling service?
hi all, recently i wanted to get an iphone to be used as a phone and replacement for my 1g ipod touch.
my idea is as follows:
either buy an 8gb from the apple store for $200 or buy from at&t online and pay $200 for a refurbished 16gb. then within 3 days cancel the contract and say that the reception in my work areas are bad as i travel alot and the signal is horrible and im unsatisfied with 3g speeds but i like the phone. in the event i move or change locations and still want to use the service i keep the phone since i payed for it.
what do u guys think?
thanks in advance
You will have to pay a $175 cancellation fee if you do not return the phone.
So the $200 + $36 activation fee + taxes and surcharges + $175 term fee = ~$450.
Find a cheaper one on craigslist.
however according to the contract i can cancel service within 3 days, but may be required to return the phone. but thats if its purchased from at&t.
here is the post from the thread in which i got the idea from. the poster posted this 7-14-08
Just making a clear post about this.
Before I detail what I did, understand that your mileage may vary, I'm merely sharing what worked for my friend and I.
1. Buy an iPhone from the Apple store, sign contract, activate
2. Use it a bit if you want, w/e
3 1 or 2 days after purchasing and activating contract, call AT&T
4. Tell them you want to cancel the contract due to bad reception at home and/or at work
5. They may try to put you to a Tech to troubleshoot, if they insist, agree, if not, go to step 7. If you talk to the tech, tell him you've tried the SIM card in different phones, and all of them have bad reception which makes it very frustrating to use the phone/service.
6. After discussing the matter, come to the conclusion it must be due to the building material and that it's a real shame. Ask to be put to someone to cancel your account
7. When talking to person to cancel your account, tell him you'd like to keep the phone in the event you'd like to come back to AT&T at a later date and would rather not have to go through the process of acquiring a new device.
8. If he says you will pay full price, quote that since you're cancelling within 3 days, no fees are incurred
9. If he says tyou must return the device, tell him you bought it from the Apple store, not the AT&T store.
10. Account should get canceled and the iphone is yours for 200$ or 300$, without fees.
ToS for iPhone: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...hone-terms.jsp
I realize the ToS may not be for the iphone 3G, but the ToS seems to apply for any and all phones, including 3G phones. I take no responsibility if anything goes wrong. Just sharing what happened for my friend and I.
post from http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f148/45802-20.htm
i believe that post is incorrect.
review the terms here:
and follow at your own risk.
By ligerny in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 07-04-2009, 05:38 AM
By gk1976 in forum iPhone 3G
Last Post: 01-03-2009, 05:17 AM
By Fischkopf_III in forum General
Last Post: 06-15-2008, 01:58 AM
By basura.de.internet in forum Flea Market
Last Post: 11-29-2007, 07:40 PM
By Pablo Ximenes in forum General
Last Post: 08-18-2007, 03:21 AM