Results 1 to 8 of 8
Discuss Is it safe to virginise? at the iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1) - Hackint0sh.org; I am still running a 1.0.2 phone unlocked using anySIM 1.0.2. Some people have reported ...
  1. #1
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Is it safe to virginise?

    I am still running a 1.0.2 phone unlocked using anySIM 1.0.2. Some people have reported successes virginising but a sizable amount of people still have yet to virginise (based on the polls), upgrade to 1.1.1 and unlock 1.1.1. And simple virginising guides are few and far between (remember we all aren't as good with computers as the dev team folk).

    I want to upgrade to 1.1.1 but the whole process still seems a bit like voodoo. Just a couple questions for those in the know.

    1. Does virginising bring your phone back to an out of the box state? I read the README file of a virginising script from the other iPhone team and it says:
    It will NOT make your iphone factory fresh (yes, I know virginiser is a missleading name). Does that mean we will face even more complications with future Apple firmware updates?

    2. Does the original Dev team even have a virginising process? The tutorials I've seen so far are not really specific on the originator of the methods.

    3. Again the other Dev team claims that anySIM 1.0.2 screws up some part of your phone. Does anySIM 1.1.1 mess up some other part of the phone as well.

    Thanks a milion.



  2. #2
    Senior Professional Array Gibberish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Wow, this is a tough one. My opinion (though I have upgraded my iUnlocked phone from 1.0.2, then virginized, then 1.1.1, then unlocked again using anySIM 1.1) is as follows:

    Does that mean we will face even more complications with future Apple firmware updates?
    Possible.

    Does the original Dev team even have a virginising process? The tutorials I've seen so far are not really specific on the originator of the methods.
    Goggle the followings: gogglecode elite

    Again the other Dev team claims that anySIM 1.0.2 screws up some part of your phone. Does anySIM 1.1.1 mess up some other part of the phone as well.
    anySIM 1.1 technically is good. However, don't be too sure as things not known today can come back and haunt us tomorrow. My advice is if you want 1.1.1 badly, then upgrade and don't look back (or forward for that matter.) If something comes up later and you found yourself locked to an older version of firmware, then sell your phone on ebay and buy a new one to unlock. Of course, you would have to beat Apple to the punch before they release a version you could not unlock, or have to wait a long time before the Dev team comes up with a hack. Just my humble opinion...
    Last edited by Gibberish; 11-02-2007 at 01:56 AM.

  3. #3
    Respected Professional Array madrich's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chicago: Home of the Spire!
    Posts
    578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Answers based on what I read/understand.

    1. Re-virginizing will restore your baseboard that was changed (corrupted?) by the original AnySim/iUnlock. The Dev Team learned that this was not a good way to unlock the iPhone based on Apple's update and IPSF's unlock. Apple's FW 1.1.1 bricked the iPhone hacked by this process (incompatible). Therefore, re-virgining (restoration) is necessary to DFU. I do not think anyone knows if re-virginizing absolutely returns your iPhone to OOB state. Someone will need to return one to Apple and tell us. Nobody can predict how easy or difficult it will be to hack future Apple FW updates until Apple releases them. If you do not like being in this situation, then become legit and get an AT&T contract (after re-virginizing).

    2. So far, the elite team has put out the ONLY re-virginizer. It is not easy, but can be done; especially if you use the Idiot Guide with pics. I am not sure if the Dev Team will be producing one.

    3. The new AnySim 1.1 protects your baseboard, and you backup the seczone of the baseboard through re-virginizing.

    I hope this helps you. I decided to re-virginize because I wanted to fix my baseboard and get FW 1.1.1 for better speaker volume on my Iphone.
    Last edited by madrich; 11-02-2007 at 03:34 AM.

  4. #4
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madrich View Post
    1. Re-virginizing will restore your baseboard that was changed (corrupted?) by the original AnySim/iUnlock. The Dev Team learned that this was not a good way to unlock the iPhone based on Apple's update and IPSF's unlock. Apple's FW 1.1.1 bricked the iPhone hacked by this process (incompatible). Therefore, re-virgining (restoration) is necessary to DFU. I do not think anyone knows if re-virginizing absolutely returns your iPhone to OOB state. Someone will need to return one to Apple and tell us. Nobody can predict how easy or difficult it will be to hack future Apple FW updates until Apple releases them. If you do not like being in this situation, then become legit and get an AT&T contract (after re-virginizing).

    2. So far, the elite team has put out the ONLY re-virginizer. It is not easy, but can be done; especially if you use the Idiot Guide with pics. I am not sure if the Dev Team will be producing one.

    3. The new AnySim 1.1 protects your baseboard, and you backup the seczone of the baseboard through re-virginizing.

    I hope this helps you. I decided to re-virginize because I wanted to fix my baseboard and get FW 1.1.1 for better speaker volume on my Iphone.
    I am still trying to find the most important question in my mind when it comes to reverginizing? No matter if I use a complicated or an idiot approved method, does reverginizing reset your NCK COUNT?

    And also what is the purpose of oneSim? It sayes that it undoes what anySim 1.1 does, but does that mean that it unodes anySim 1.1 and your iPhone is lockeded again, it decrements the NCK count since from what I heard anySim 1.1 does increment your NCK count. It is a little unclear to me.

    Finally, when restoring an unlocked iPhone with anySim 1.1, do I have to unlock it again?
    Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but for me these are the most imporrtant issues when it comes to unlocking.

    Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by jpapadami; 11-02-2007 at 09:08 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpapadami View Post
    I am still trying to find the most important question in my mind when it comes to reverginizing? No matter if I use a complicated or an idiot approved method, does reverginizing reset your NCK COUNT?
    My understanding is that it does, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jpapadami View Post

    Finally, when restoring an unlocked iPhone with anySim 1.1, do I have to unlock it again?

    Thanks in Advance
    Could you be a little more clear, what do you mean by "restoring an unlocked iPhone with anySim 1.1"?


  6. #6
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodcompany View Post
    My understanding is that it does, yes.



    Could you be a little more clear, what do you mean by "restoring an unlocked iPhone with anySim 1.1"?
    If I have unlocked a 1.1.1 iphone with anySim 1.1 and then for some reason I have to restore the iPhone via iTunes, do I have to unlock the iPhone again? I know that you have to jailbreak and activiate it, but not sure whether you have to unlock it.

    On my 1.0.2 unlocked iPhone I used the fast-unlock.pxl method and everytime I decide to restore my iPhone I only have to jailbreak and activate it and don't have to unlock it again since it is already unlocked.
    Last edited by jpapadami; 11-02-2007 at 10:38 AM.

  7. #7
    Respected Professional Array madrich's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chicago: Home of the Spire!
    Posts
    578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpapadami View Post
    If I have unlocked a 1.1.1 iphone with anySim 1.1 and then for some reason I have to restore the iPhone via iTunes, do I have to unlock the iPhone again? I know that you have to jailbreak and activiate it, but not sure whether you have to unlock it.

    On my 1.0.2 unlocked iPhone I used the fast-unlock.pxl method and everytime I decide to restore my iPhone I only have to jailbreak and activate it and don't have to unlock it again since it is already unlocked.
    I believe you are correct; once unlocked at FW1.1.1 with Anysim1.1 you should not need re-unlock, if you restore via iTunes. (Just make sure you lockdown before restoring, if you have not already done so.)

  8. #8
    Administrator Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    madrich is absolutely correct. No need to unlock again.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. OTB [1.1.2] How do i reset/virginise
    By jordanpolonijo in forum Hardware Unlock
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
  2. Is there a way to virginise 1.1.1 iphone????
    By stavros in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 10:27 PM
  4. Whats the easiest way to Virginise a 1.02 on Mac?
    By Cerebro in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 05:20 AM
  5. Dosent this Virginise your phone?
    By Magicpie2007 in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-17-2007, 03:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:31 AM.
twitter, follow us!