[Tutorial] Unlock + Activate iPhone without Jailbreaking
By chance I yesterday discovered that you can Unlock and Activate your iPhone using ZiPhone without jailbreaking it.
To unlock + activate without jailbreaking follow these steps:
1. Restore to 1.1.3 in iTunes
2. When restore is finished the iPhone restarts, BEFORE the iPhone starts up quit iTunes and iTunes helper
3. Activate + Unlock with ZiPhone
4. You now have a unlocked iPhone that is NOT jailbroken!!
The reason this is better, because on all the iPhones I have done this way and left them jailed I have found the following advantages:
1. Google "Locate Me" worked WITHOUT the need for 3rd Party Apps (on non-official networks, tested with ORANGE UK, VODAFONE UK and T-MOBILE UK)
2. There are NO syncing issues
3. If you put in a non-official sim card (not o2, AT&T, T-MOBILE DE or ORANGE FR) the EDGE settings appear under Settings->General->Network so you can add your networks EDGE settings and they will stay there after you restart your iPhone
4. Installer.app works so you can still have 3rd Party Apps
5. So far I have not had any problems and everything works perfectly
It worked for me so let me know how it goes for you!!
My reason for saying that the iPhone is NOT jailbroken is because after I use this method and I open iNdependence it tells me that the iPhone is jailed