Safest method to unlock: 5min work, 20min waiting - step by step instructions here
this guide is based on the german one found here. therfore i havnt seen this one in english i'll give it a try and "translate". i am doing this cause its the only way to unlock the iphone which i never heard of giving you any issues with it.
(if this guide is allready found somewhere in this forum i had at least some fun whriting it:p )
this guide is for windows users only and require a wifi internet access.
If you have tried some other unlocking methods before (like anysim or others) DO NOT use this guide. it might get you in deeper trouble. go check the IRC help offered on top of this forum. i know those guys will do their best to help you out!
USE THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I HAVE DONE THIS MANY TIMES WITHOUT A HASSLE BUT CAN SURELY NOT GURANTEE FOR ANYTHING!! I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR WHATSOEVER!
READ AND FOLLOW THIS GUIDE STEP BY STEP AND DONT HURRY. take your time, its worth it!
no matter what guide you use: most problems occured cause people dont read carefully and skipped some important steps. feel free to restart your iphone anytime after one of the steps is completed if it makes you feel safer, but do not miss a restart if it is mentioned in this guide!
ok, here we go:
- download latest iTunes version at apple.com
- download the iPhoneUnlockPackage found here and extract to somewhere on your harddisc
- install winSCP on your pc, use the "norton commander style" version, its important! (dont remember exactly the name, just dont use the windows style version!)
- get Unlock.app.zip here and extract
- connect your iphone to PC with data cable (NO docking station!!) and check if battery is fully charged. (it usually is when it comes out of the box)
- put your own simcard into some other phone and deactivate simpin (you can later reactivate simpin if you like)
- check firmware of iPhone and update to 1.0.2 if needed ("slide for emergency",enter *3001#12345#* and press "Call". it should now be saying 03.14.08_G under modem firmware. )
EDIT: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES UPDATE TO 1.1.1 !!! It will possibly brick your iPhone! Download 1.0.2 Firmware found here on the forums and save it somwhere on your PC. put iPhone into restore mode, start itunes. it will ask for a restore. hold down shift and click restore while still holding down shift. now browse to the 1.0.2 firmware on your PC and open. it will now flash the firmware of your iPhone to 1.0.2
- close iTunes and shut down iTuneshelper.exe in your task manager
- double click AppTappInstaller.exe, check version 1.0.2 and let it run. it will reset a couple of time and showing yellow triangle, dont worry.
- double click (click here)activate.bat and let it run until "completed" (open details to check!)
- shut down iPhone, remove att sim and restart. installer will now appear on your springboard.
- connec to wifi and write down your ip adress shown in the iPhone settings
- go to settings -> general -> autolock -> NEVER
- run installer on iPhone and install "Community Sources", "BSD Subsystems" and "Open SSH"
- run winscp on your pc and fill out the fields: your IP; port 22; root; dottie; select SCP
- be patient, for the first time it might take up to 1min to conect. ignore error message and click yes on the second message
- drag the unlock.app folder from the left to the root/applications folder on the right. it will now copy the content to your phone within seconds
- now open every single file in this folder by rightclick/properties and set OKTAL to 0755
- close winscp, restart phone, check if you have removed the att sim!
- tap "Unlock" on the springboard and tap start. do NOT run this app with a sim in the phone!
- have a cup of tea (or valium if needed), lean back and relax for apprx 20min until message "completed, Enjoy!" appears
- shut down iPhone, insert new sim and restart, Enjoy :)
your ipone is now jailbroken, activated, youtube ready and simlock free without a hassle. i did this many times without a single problem. so i think its worth to wait the extra minutes instead of using any "fast" version and fiddling around for hours to get the rest working ;)
- you might want to start winSCP again and remove the Unlock.app folder to get rid of the unlock symbol from your springboard. you wont need it anymore.
- you also might want to go to settings -> phone -> sim pin and set it to ON.
- and go to settings -> general -> autolock, and set it to your preferences
any corrections and comments are welcome. i will update this guide accordingly.