Also, after restoring to 1.1.1 what is the easiest way to upgrade to 1.1.4?
Many thanks in advance!
I would give you the link but unfortunately, I can't find it at the moment.
found it: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42046
It's long but there's instruction on how to put it on the phone.
After the phone is done virginizing, you can update directly to 1.1.4.
If you are running 1.0.2, when you are done with the virginizing process, you will loose the unlock (don't worry - that's the way it should be). From there restore phone with 1.1.4 or 2.0
I have a bunch of confused newbie questions.:) I am on Windows XP:
1. The instructions say use latest iTunes; I beleive at the time of it's writing it was 7.6. Should I use that version or current latest 7.7?
2. I assume I have to keep my SIM card in the phone during the entire process, am I right?
3. In upgrading to 1.1.4 steps I think I will be more comfortable using iLiberty+ to put the phone into DFU mode. Is that OK or manual mode is better?
4. I would like to go all the way up to 2.0 easiest way to do so. You mentioned about restoring to 2.0 directly. Does the unlock for 2.0 work on iLiberty+ or do I have to use WinPwn 2.0?
- Use itunes 7.5 or 7.6 for now. You will need itunes 7.7 when you are ready to go up to fw 2.0
- Just leave your SIM card in the phone or you can use your original AT&T sim card that came with the phone.
- You can use iLiberty+ to put in DFU mode.
- If you want to go up directly to 2.0 AFTER you have virginized the phone, you may do so (you need to install itunes 7.7). iLiberty+ does not work with fw 2.0, you will need to use pwnage Tool 2.0.1 if on the Mac or WinPwn 2.0.03 on the PC.
- You should read the winpwn section. Read the winpwn 18.104.22.168 thread to make sure you are comfortable. Some people have problem using it and some don't.
Always make sure your phone settings - general - auto-lock=never (if phone reboot, check it to make sure)
- connect your phone (ignore the itune pop up)
- run iLiberty+
- In iLiberty+, make sure jailbreak check mark is on. Select the installer payload and click go for it. (This will put the installer on your phone). Phone will reboot during this process.
OK, I think I managed to put the phone into DFU mode at least iLiberty+ says so but when I let iTunes check the version on server it says:
"iPod software update server could not be contacted. An unknown error occurred (-185)".
What can I do to at least to restore firmware?
I am desperate now. Sorry to bug you...
Edit: after several attempts of DFU and iTunes suddenly I am in recovery mode again and iTunes recognizes my iPhone. Shoould I restore to 1.1.4 anyway?
Yes. you can restore with firmware 1.1.4 . Make sure you use iphone firmware version 1.1.4 and not ipod firmware ok.