Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Discuss Payment with Credit Card, Why? at the iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1) - Hackint0sh.org; I am somewhat disturbed by this whole payment with credit card for the iPhone. I ...
  1. #1
    Senior Professional Array tiny_r's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Payment with Credit Card, Why?

    I am somewhat disturbed by this whole payment with credit card for the iPhone. I don't understand why cash will not be accepted!

    Is someone trying to match iPhone purchases to contacts or in the case of hacked iPhone's lack of contracts?

    If you purchase an iPhone in an Apple, t-mobile, orange, o2 or AT&T store, you have to pay with a CC. Then when you sign up through iTunes for the contract is an attempt to match the iPhone purchase to the signing of an official contract?

    This surely couldn't be the case, and if it is the case, is there a violation of some law? I provide credit card details in good faith to a store and I do not expect them to be shared with a third party! So if I purchase from Orange, I would hope that Orange would not inform Apple that John Doe, from the darkside of the moon, purchased an iphone using credit card XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX! Then Apple could identify me when I log in with my Apple ID!!!!



  2. #2
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Because you only can purchase 2 Phones per CC and they use this system to track it.

  3. #3
    Amazingly Knowledgeable Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Because they are afraid of us.

  4. #4
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I don't think they are actively comparing purchases to activations. What would be the point? If they are allowing you buy up to 2 iPhones per credit card it's not likely you're going to activate both on the same credit card/AT&T account anyways - one of them is probably a gift or something.

    I think it's most likely they are trying to create a means by which to limit the flow of iPhones into the 'grey' market - ie, us.

    Sure, a few people will buy a phone or two and unlock them personally. Fair enough and that seems to be a chance Apple is willing to take with their policy.

    What they're trying to protect against is the guys who are buying 500 phones at once.

  5. #5
    Senior Professional Array tiny_r's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimplePanda View Post
    I don't think they are actively comparing purchases to activations. What would be the point? If they are allowing you buy up to 2 iPhones per credit card it's not likely you're going to activate both on the same credit card/AT&T account anyways - one of them is probably a gift or something.

    I think it's most likely they are trying to create a means by which to limit the flow of iPhones into the 'grey' market - ie, us.

    Sure, a few people will buy a phone or two and unlock them personally. Fair enough and that seems to be a chance Apple is willing to take with their policy.

    What they're trying to protect against is the guys who are buying 500 phones at once.
    This makes a lot of sense. But, I could walk into any store today and purchase 2 iphones, then do the same tomorrow and the same the next day. They can't restrict the number of iphones I purchase overall, but can in one visit. This could just as easily be achieved with cash also!

    Is there a more sinister explanation!


  6. #6
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiny_r View Post
    This makes a lot of sense. But, I could walk into any store today and purchase 2 iphones, then do the same tomorrow and the same the next day. They can't restrict the number of iphones I purchase overall, but can in one visit. This could just as easily be achieved with cash also!

    Is there a more sinister explanation!
    actually as far as I know you can't go in day after day and keep buying iphones, the limit is per CC not per CC per visit.
    If you'll try to buy more phones they'll tell you that you have to activate at least one of them first with AT&T.

  7. #7
    Senior Professional Array iphonewiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Or maybe because they like plastic! it's good for your heart and good for your tummy!
    Total PHONES UNLOCKED:159

    MACBOOK PRO 15" 2.4 CORE 2 DUO 4GB 200GB LEO
    MACBOOK PRO 17" 2.33 CORE 2 DUO 3 GB 160GB LEO
    POWERBOOK G4 17" 1.5 G4 1.5 GB 160GB LEO
    MACBOOK PRO 15" CORE DUO 2GB 160GB LEO / VISTA ULTIMATE


  8. #8
    Senior Professional Array tiny_r's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elan22 View Post
    actually as far as I know you can't go in day after day and keep buying iphones, the limit is per CC not per CC per visit.
    If you'll try to buy more phones they'll tell you that you have to activate at least one of them first with AT&T.
    In this case they are keeping records of our transactions. I guess there is allowed if we choose to purchase items with a CC, however is there not a limit! I recall a recent news item about a well known retail outlet.

    Also the point was made that if you try and purchase an more than two iPhones, then you'd be told that you need to activate one of the original purchases. How would they know it wasn't activated if they are not cross referencing contracts and iPhone sales....

    There is something very strange with this requirement. It does not make sense. Personally I prefer to use CC for purchases (90 days etc...) and maybe its just a conspiracy theory ATM.

  9. #9
    bex
    bex is offline
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    My question is probably flawed, but my thought was that the dollar bill is LEGAL TENDER, so how can they theoretically refuse cash?

    What does LEGAL TENDER mean if something for sale cannot be purchased with it? Or is a CC the same as cash, thought they were different but provide the same end result.

  10. #10
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Sorry .,., but this has been answered a lot of times.!!! APPLE can legally refuse CASH.! they can even legally refuse to do business with you


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
  2. MacNN: Simply Swipe It announces iPhone credit-card payment app
    By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 07:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:40 PM.
twitter, follow us!