Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Discuss Official Unlocked Orange iPhone - Experiences at the iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1) - Hackint0sh.org; Despite a number of threads existing ATM, none seems to illustrate much experience with getting ...
  1. #1
    Senior Professional Array tiny_r's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Official Unlocked Orange iPhone - Experiences

    Despite a number of threads existing ATM, none seems to illustrate much experience with getting an Orange iPhone unlocked and operational outside France.

    Hopefully those with experience of this will post here.

    Thanks



  2. #2
    Senior Professional Array tiny_r's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Just bumping the thread to see if we can get any responses.

    Also does anyone know of a French store near Geneva? I will be in Geneva later in the week on business and if I know where to get an iPhone over the border, I might do the trial first hand!

  3. #3
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I agree. I have been asking the same thing. If anyone has any real life experience please let us know. I want to get one but only if my UK and Swiss iTunes accounts will work with it.

    tiny_r
    I live near Geneva and the nearest confirmed place in France I know of that sell them is Lyon (1hr outside Geneva). There must be places closer, but I can't find them. If someone out there knows better please let us know... thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Professional Array tiny_r's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    @ jimwilx1

    Thanks for the info. It would be great if there was a store closer to Geneva. Sadly I don't speak french, but a friend who is traveling with me does. We also have a French address that we can use, but no French ID (we need to know if we'll be asked for something)

    Would like to put this question to bed one and for all, so any assistance or advice would be great.

  5. #5
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilx1 View Post
    I agree. I have been asking the same thing. If anyone has any real life experience please let us know. I want to get one but only if my UK and Swiss iTunes accounts will work with it.

    tiny_r
    I live near Geneva and the nearest confirmed place in France I know of that sell them is Lyon (1hr outside Geneva). There must be places closer, but I can't find them. If someone out there knows better please let us know... thanks.
    So guys, looks like we're all living in switzerland next to the french boarder and waiting for some news...let's keep an eye on frenchiphone.com !


  6. #6
    Senior Professional Array slimnickyy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiny_r View Post
    @ jimwilx1

    Thanks for the info. It would be great if there was a store closer to Geneva. Sadly I don't speak french, but a friend who is traveling with me does. We also have a French address that we can use, but no French ID (we need to know if we'll be asked for something)

    Would like to put this question to bed one and for all, so any assistance or advice would be great.
    It's been established here and on the Apple support forums that French ID or address is not required to buy the phone. However it is possible (though not conclusive at this point) that iTunes may not unlock the phone without a French iTunes account (essentially a credit card registered to a French address).

    Please do not get me started again on why it's impossible to deny sale of the phone based on nationality. The only ID will be required to verify your identity when purchasing with a credit card. This ID has to be official ID (national ID card, passport) issued by your country (not necessarily France). Therefore, hopefully for the last time, you can buy the bloody phone! However until there's more information regarding what happens once you take the phone home it'd be stupid to do so unless you have a credit card registered to a French address which can be used to create a 'French' iTunes account.

    Since it isn't illegal to buy a unlocked phone (from France or Germany, but France is cheaper) I urge anyone truly interesting in obtaining one to either call Orange or Apple directly and inquire about the process. Yes it'd be nice if someone with a real unlock would just come in here and clear everything up, but that isn't likely since it's: 1) mainly an English speaking forum, 2) it's low key and 3) most people (yes, I'm generalising here) on this forum are concerned about free unlocks.

    You may be better off at the official Apple support forums, however looking there the situation isn't much better due again to it being English only. Also the only reported issue there is not the inability to buy the phone, but the refusal of iTunes unlock with a non-"French" iTunes account. Apple has not clarified the issue of their forums and unlikely will as they seem to never do so on their forums, therefore honestly the best way is to call them or Orange directly and ask or find a French speaking iPhone forum or hope and pray that someone comes in here and has all the answers. Sorry to carry on, but this question is getting tiring, spans many threads, and no one can seem to answer the question to your satisfaction and again if I were you I'd ring them myself.

    Apple: (33) 0825 888 024
    Orange: 0800 471 471
    Last edited by slimnickyy; 12-03-2007 at 11:27 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slimnickyy View Post
    It's been established here and on the Apple support forums that French ID or address is not required to buy the phone. However it is possible (though not conclusive at this point) that iTunes may not unlock the phone without a French iTunes account (essentially a credit card registered to a French address).

    Please do not get me started again on why it's impossible to deny sale of the phone based on nationality. The only ID will be required to verify your identity when purchasing with a credit card. This ID has to be official ID (national ID card, passport) issued by your country. Doesn't need to be French. C'est fini!
    It is the conclusive iTunes account answer I am after. I can't find it on any of the French forums.

  8. #8
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiny_r View Post
    @ jimwilx1

    Thanks for the info. It would be great if there was a store closer to Geneva. Sadly I don't speak french, but a friend who is traveling with me does. We also have a French address that we can use, but no French ID (we need to know if we'll be asked for something)

    Would like to put this question to bed one and for all, so any assistance or advice would be great.
    I also live in the Geneva area.

    The closest France Telecom shop, which is where Orange officially sells the iPhone, is in Ferney Voltaire (address: 20, rue Voltaire), just across the border, next to the airport. Check the iPhone pages on www.orange.fr.

    fromi2ch

  9. #9
    Senior Professional Array slimnickyy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilx1 View Post
    It is the conclusive iTunes account answer I am after. I can't find it on any of the French forums.
    Me either, nor has anyone else, which is why if I were in a position of wanting to truly know I'd contact the companies directly. It's no good relying on third-party information anyhow. You don't really want to waste a trip do you? Apple or Orange cannot mislead or misrepresent the process to you because if their information is misleading and it induces you to purchase they've violated the Sale of Goods legislation applicable to France. However, be sure you tell them you want the information to form a decision on whether to buy straight away.

    If your French isn't good or you don't want to call them then you just need to sit back and wait until it's all conclusive. Not to be a dick, but consistently asking in multiple threads will not magically reveal the answer (I'm not saying you've done this either by the way). Rest assured, when someone knows for sure it will be posted on here and likely many other forums asking the same questions.

  10. #10
    Senior Professional Array tiny_r's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcint-fromi2ch View Post
    I also live in the Geneva area.

    The closest France Telecom shop, which is where Orange officially sells the iPhone, is in Ferney Voltaire (address: 20, rue Voltaire), just across the border, next to the airport. Check the iPhone pages on www.orange.fr.

    fromi2ch
    Thank you very much for this address. That answers my major question.

    I have a friend form traveling to Geneva this week, you can purchase me the iPhone. I am aware that sale cannot be refused, slimnickyy and others have discussed this at length in another thread!

    Now I guess I am in the unique position that I have another friend from France, living close by who I could set up with a iTunes account! Failing that it does not work with my sign in, then I could revert to this solution. The only problem I have is would the iPhone require this French Account every time it is attached!


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
  2. unlocked iPhone on Orange web browsing
    By rhys-k in forum iPhone 3G
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 11:45 AM
  3. US V1.1.1 and Official Orange Unlock.
    By nssa in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 03:10 PM
  4. Question for Orange UK unlocked iPhone users.
    By immortal in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 02:51 PM
  5. FS unlocked iphone 8GB broken orange ribbon
    By neynme in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 12:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:27 AM.
twitter, follow us!