Hey everyone, Just figured I'd write a post to tell about my success using Nate True's soft update method.
First let me say that I live in Canada and have a pay as you go SIM card that I pulled out of my old phone (Fido), and purchased a stealth SIM a couple weeks ago to work with the infamous 1.1.2, 4.6 OOTB iPhone that I purchased in Buffalo, NY.
Before I upgraded, I made sure all my apps that I downloaded with installer were UNINSTALLED. This INCLUDED Summerboard. I also made sure that BSD subsystem WAS installed still with the most up to date version which I believe is 2.0.
I then followed each step of Nate True's upgrade and jailbreak method. It went flawlessly. I did not touch the phone while it did it's thing and it took about 6-7 minutes I'd say. Maybe even less.
I now have a phone with the 4.6 bootloader running on 1.1.3 firmware in tandum with a married Fido and stealthSIM. There is nothing wrong with it. I have ringtone sound, I hear them in the sounds menu and when I get a call. I hear SMS notifications, my vibration works . The only thing I have found that DOESN'T work... is the new "Locate me" button on Google Maps. I'm sure there will be a fix soon enough anyway.. no biggie. SYNC also works. I had no problem syncing my phone.
For all of you scared to perform this update. This post is for you. I honestly can't see how this could go wrong if you did what I did.
Thanks and good luck!
PS... Here are the instructions from Nate True.
Here's how you do it:
- Start with a 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 jailbroken phone with Installer.app installed AND AT LEAST 300mb OF FREE SPACE.
- Plug in your phone via USB to your computer.
- Download, extract, and run iBrickr Special 1.1.3 jailbreak edition (ibrickr.exe in the archive).
- iBrickr will determine what firmware you are running on your phone and make sure you can run the update.
- iBrickr will then guide you through the process of obtaining and modifying the 1.1.3 firmware (make sure to read everything thoroughly).
- iBrickr will upload the new firmware image to your phone. Note that this only puts the file on your phone and does not modify it at all, yet.
- When iBrickr finishes (should take about 10 minutes), it will tell you to go to Installer and install the "1.1.3 soft upgrade" package. Do that.
- The upgrade will stall at about halfway. (WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?? STALL???....Your springboard will look as if you just installed a new application.. As in: Your springboard icons look a little scrambled around and there is the loading mac circle in the center.)THIS IS NORMAL. DO NOT INTERACT WITH YOUR PHONE WHILE THIS IS HAPPENING. Just leave it plugged in and leave it alone.
- When the installer finishes (this should take another 10-15 minutes), your phone should reboot with a fresh activated 1.1.3 firmware.