Discuss !Micro-FAQ regarding FW 1.1.2 (PLEASE READ!!!) at the iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1) - Hackint0sh.org; Valid as of Nov 11th 2007 (may be obsolete afterwards, just stay in touch with ...
!Micro-FAQ regarding FW 1.1.2 (PLEASE READ!!!)
Valid as of Nov 11th 2007 (may be obsolete afterwards, just stay in touch with the news here in the forum): Attention, there is updated information available, I'll update this FAQ within the next 24 hours!
A micro FAQ:
1. the iPhone Elite Team's "AnySIM 1.2" is NOT related to the Dev Team's work, it is a modded AnySIM 1.1 version which has been used by the iPhone Elite Team to mod the 1.1.2 baseband
2. AnySIM 1.2 (again: NOT from the Dev Team!) does indeed unlock the 1.1.2 baseband but unfortunately it works only with FW 1.0.2 which is some sort of disappointing fact. The iPhone Elite Team apparently rushed things, resulting in a somehow questionable solution which actually left behind many disappointed users who tried it, some even ended up with semi-bricked phones which need virginizing the baseband.
3. currently, it doesn't make ANY sense to use AnySIM 1.2 (again: NOT from the Dev Team) to unlock the 1.1.2 baseband since you need to downgrade to FW 1.0.2 to make it work. Better use 1.1.1 with the 4.01.xx baseband which works just fine with the current Dev Team release AnySIM 1.1 (available through Installer.app and the Surrealnetworks repo for example).
4. the easiest and mostly pain-free solution to use a virgin 1.1.1 (most newly bought iPhones, caution: some may already have 1.1.2) iPhone is to use the well known "computer-less" method with the TIFF exploit hack (*#307#...) and Installer.app. It is a 10 minute hack/unlock process which doesn't require a computer, only a working WiFi internet connection.
5. the current EUROPEAN iPhones can't be unlocked yet, you better don't touch them until an "official" Dev Team unlock/hack solution is available. Keep in mind that messing up your Euro iPhone leaves you without any warranty, so better wait for a "tested" solution from the Dev Team, don't say you haven't been warned.
6. even if you have an official contract/subscription from O2 (UK) or T-Mobile (Germany), you cannot use the SIM from this contract/subscription in your US iPhone to activate it or for it to be accepted as an "official" iPhone. You can't use ANY SIM card from the same approved carrier in a Euro iPhone, only the one which came with the Euro iPhone contract/subscription. Meaning: if you want to use a Euro iPhone with your "approved" (O2, T-Mobile...UK and Germany) carrier, you need a new and valid subscription. It is NOT possible to use an already existing contract/subscription but O2 and T-Mobile are willing to switch your new iPhone with the new(!) subsription to your "old" number but you still have to stay with TWO subscriptions/contracts.
7. T-Mobile Germany offers for current customers a subscription renewal offer for the iPhone, meaning that you can get one based on an already existing contract/subscription but it depends on how long you already have this contract/subscription and if you got a phone with it. It may be the same in the UK with O2. You cannot get an iPhone without a new/renewed subscription/contract in Germany, it is different compared to the US where you can buy an iPhone in any Apple Store.
Currently, there is no recommended unlock/activation/jailbreak solution for Euro iPhones, the currently available activation/jailbreak solution(s) may mess things up in the end, I would wait until an easier and more tested solution is available since messing up your Euro iPhone will surely invalidate your warranty.
For a trouble-free operation (NOT for Euro iPhones!), the following combo is recommended right now:
US iPhone with FW 1.1.1, unlocked with AnySIM 1.1 and activated/jailbreaked with jailbreakme.com.
I have this on 2(!) iPhones and they work absolutely TROUBLE-FREE for more than two weeks now on a daily basis. If people with this solution have stability problems, it may be the result of "older" mods which haven't been fully cleared off the iPhone OR it may have to do with native applications which have been added afterwards.
A little recommendation for GERMAN US iPhone users: the best language mod is iDeutsch, currently available through the Installer.app (you need to add the iDeutsch repo to sources, search the forum for details!). The latest version 3.2.2 works like a charm and adds features like louder ring tones, sticky APN, etc. Highly recommended.
A last word related to the usage of the iPhone forums, it is important that you read and understand it:
1. this is our house, our rules, this is no democracy or anarchy. You're a guest, behave like one. If the host tells you to stop, you need to stop without asking questions. Again: our house, our rules.
2. before posting or starting a new thread, THINK first and try to make your contribution in the correct forum. DO NOT post questions unrelated to unlocking the iPhone in the UNLOCK forum and so on. You get my point.
3. if you're requesting help, please add a questionmark (looks like this: ?) to your post.
Without questionmark, it may be understood as a fact and some people may get confused by reading the thread title only.
4. DO NOT post unconfirmed rumours or hearsay (a friend of a friend of a friend told me...) as facts, this is one of the best methods to get flamed and/or to be deleted from Hackint0sh. If it is a rumour, please tell us so, so we know it isn't a fact (yet).
5. DO NOT argue with Hackint0sh admins or moderators, this is also a sure way to get deleted from Hackint0sh. Again: our house, our rules. You don't like our rules? Bye bye.
6. please understand that Hackint0sh is more of a forum for "advanced" users with a basic understanding in IT stuff. If you're a complete Newbie ("Noob"), please give us the courtesy to READ first for a while and THEN post. Otherwise don't be surprised if you end up in a flame war or even getting infraction points from the admins/mods.
7. if a thread/post gets DELETED, we have our reason for it. DO NOT send angry PMs to the admins/mods, this is also a sure way to get banned from Hackint0sh. Again: our house, our rules.
8. if you still don't understand something or you feel misunderstood and you really have the urge to contact an iPhone moderator, please be friendly. We do not reply to angry and insulting PMs and keep in mind that it takes only a few mouse clicks to delete such a PM, including the membership of the author of the PM.
THANKS for understanding. Enjoy Hackint0sh.
Last edited by 997TT; 11-12-2007 at 07:30 AM.
By Bensonet in forum iChitChat
Last Post: 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
By frantona in forum iPhone 4
Last Post: 06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
By nicky9499 in forum Installation
Last Post: 06-11-2009, 03:40 PM