Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Discuss I have 4 OOB 1.1.2 iPhones. Need advice at the iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1) - Hackint0sh.org; I got these phones to unlock for friends, now I can't take them back because ...
  1. #1
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    16

    Arrow I have 4 OOB 1.1.2 iPhones. Need advice

    I got these phones to unlock for friends, now I can't take them back because it's past 14 days. Should I wait it out and hope for an unlock solution or should I just sell them on eBay in their locked state? Thanks for the advice.



  2. #2
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    so the question here is when will the unlock be available?

    No one knows, "if any"

    it depends how long you are willing to freeze that investment

  3. #3
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I'd be willing to just freeze it indefinitely but with $1700 sitting here and threats of a new iPhone next March, this is getting dangerous. Is anyone else in a similar position?
    Last edited by wildonrio; 12-03-2007 at 06:41 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    i would wait. its more likely that hackers will find a way to unlock this that future phones, because future phones will be even more dificult etc. so, if you sell it now

    a) no one will pay you the real value scince they dont whant to risk.
    cuz you are not thinking on take advantage of people ignorance are you?

    if you wait... the iphone value will rise eventualy, because someone finds an unlock or a new update is there.

    also, theres a lot of people working on this, i think we will have an unlock this month.
    ( i dont have scientific reasons or anything... i just wish)

  5. #5
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Get turbosim from ebay with applesaft on ect... and they will work.
    Works for me


  6. #6
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lolec View Post
    also, theres a lot of people working on this, i think we will have an unlock this month.
    ( i dont have scientific reasons or anything... i just wish)
    I doubt it. The technical info from geohot suggests that there is likely no way around this right now.

    As the other guy said, your best bet is to buy a pack of 5 TurboSIM units. About 300 euro ($90 USD each give or take). This will let you use the phones once you jailbreak / activate them.

    Of course, the problems with TurboSIM are obvious:

    1. You need to cut/modify your SIM card. Fine if it's YOUR SIM card but if you're giving them as gifts it sucks to say "here's a new phone - just mangle your SIM card to make it work".

    2. To the point of #1, if you intend on selling them unlocked on the eBay or something, it's hard to say "iPhone 1.1.2 OTB plus TurobSIM - just buy this and then mangle your own SIM card to make it work". Most people won't go in for such one way streets.

    3. 1.1.2, even on the OTB phones, can be used with a TurboSIM, but this is in no way fool proof. 1.1.3 could very, very easily disable TurboSIM use and then you're right back to where you are.

    Everytime I look at my week 39 phone I think "thank god i bought you when I did".

  7. #7
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimplePanda View Post
    I doubt it. The technical info from geohot suggests that there is likely no way around this right now.

    As the other guy said, your best bet is to buy a pack of 5 TurboSIM units. About 300 euro ($90 USD each give or take). This will let you use the phones once you jailbreak / activate them.

    Of course, the problems with TurboSIM are obvious:

    1. You need to cut/modify your SIM card. Fine if it's YOUR SIM card but if you're giving them as gifts it sucks to say "here's a new phone - just mangle your SIM card to make it work".

    2. To the point of #1, if you intend on selling them unlocked on the eBay or something, it's hard to say "iPhone 1.1.2 OTB plus TurobSIM - just buy this and then mangle your own SIM card to make it work". Most people won't go in for such one way streets.

    3. 1.1.2, even on the OTB phones, can be used with a TurboSIM, but this is in no way fool proof. 1.1.3 could very, very easily disable TurboSIM use and then you're right back to where you are.

    Everytime I look at my week 39 phone I think "thank god i bought you when I did".
    Thanks for the info. Now I'm really doubting these phones. So what do you think I should do? The plastic is still on the boxes, do you think I could still take them back?

  8. #8
    Professional Array skidmark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimplePanda View Post
    Everytime I look at my week 39 phone I think "thank god i bought you when I did".
    +100000000000000

  9. #9
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildonrio View Post
    Thanks for the info. Now I'm really doubting these phones. So what do you think I should do? The plastic is still on the boxes, do you think I could still take them back?
    Apple's return policy sure does suck, I'll say that.

    Futureshop = 30 days no questions.
    Best Buy = 30 days no question.
    Apple Retail = 14 days, plus a huge hassle and a 10% restocking fee.

    Your best bet is sell them on eBay. I just saw what was obviously a 1.1.2 sealed iPhone go for $430 (for some reason). I assume the buyer -thought- it was unlocked but you know how it goes - just be upfront that they are sealed, new phones and you can probably recover your investment.

  10. #10
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Ok, I just called Apple and they offered a full refund on all four iPhones, even though one of them was opened. Nice guys.

    Anyone who wants to return an iPhone I suggest you call Apple because they are nice about it and they have also extended their return policy for the holidays.


 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 06:05 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 06:56 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 07:27 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 06:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:17 PM.
twitter, follow us!