Originally Posted by PmgR
I just used CARNAVAL 0.7 to upgrade an anySIM1.1 unlocked 1.0.2 phone to 1.1.1 without the need for WIFI. Here is how to do this (I put my original AT&T sim back in the phone during the process, but I don't think that is needed):
1. With iBrickr, install Term-vt100 on your iPhone if you don't have it already on the phone. Quit iBrickr.
2. Make sure you have iTunes 7.4.x running (I used 188.8.131.52). If not, upgrade and reboot your PC.
3. Open up iTunes. Sync iPhone first so as to backup your data (optional). Leave iTunes running (don't kill anything in the task manager)
4. Tap Term-vt100 from the springboard and execute the following commands:
mv /var/root/Media /var/root/Mediaold
ln -s / /var/root/Media
Note 1: make sure to use /var/root/Mediaold (nothing else, e.g. like /var/root/Media.old) otherwise CARNAVAL won't work.
Note 2: make sure NOT to do another sync with iTunes after you make the simlink.
5. Now goto the update button in iTunes, and click SHIFT-UPDATE (hold down the shift button while clicking UPDATE). Browse to your local copy of the 1.1.1 firmware on your PC and select it (don't use RESTORE here since it will delete the simlink you created above).
6. Sit back and let iTunes do its job, including rebooting the iPhone and reconnecting.
7. You are now back on the iPhone "Connect to Itunes" screen in 1.1.1.
8. Check that you are indeed running baseband 4 by entering *3001#12345#* on the emergency slider and then tapping on versions. It should say Firware version 04.01.13_G. Hit the home button to go back to the opening screen on the iPhone.
9. Now quit iTunes and in the PC task manager kill iTuneshelper.exe, iPodService.exe, iTunes.exe, if present. Leave AppleMobileDeviceService.exe running.
10. Now on your PC, click the CARNAVAL batch file (CLICK HERE) by brasuco.bat and follow its instructions all the way to the end.
THEN YOU ARE All DONE: you should now be on the 1.1.1 springboard
Voila: you just updated to 1.1.1 without the need for WIFI