Discuss [Confused] Someone please clear the situation up at the iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1) - Hackint0sh.org; Hi,
somehow the hacking of the iphone reached a point where its more confusing then ...
[Confused] Someone please clear the situation up
somehow the hacking of the iphone reached a point where its more confusing then anything else.
I have enclosed a list with a few question, it would be nice if someone could clear those points up.
- The Bootloader situation.
- Whats the best bootloader version and why?
- How do you find out what bootloader version you have?
- Why cant you jailbreak and unlock when you are on 3.9 (nonsense?)?
- The Firmware
- Which Firmware to use? 1.1.2, 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 and why upgrade to that version?
- Jailbreaking, activating and unlocking
- Is the ZiPhone the way to go?
- I have read that ZiPhone sucks, why? What alternatives are there?
- What happend to Anysim for unlocking?
Be sure to rep me ;-)
1.1 There is no best bootloader. The most accesible bootloader is 3.9. It can be hacked and unlock can also be reversed. 4.6 have new security measures so its harder.
1.2 If you phone was 1.1.1 or lower, its 3.9 bootloader. If its 1.1.2 or higher, its 4.6 bootloader.
1.3 I dont really understand this question. You CAN jailbreak and unlock 3.9
2.1 1.1.4 for me. I prefer the latest and there is no reason for me not to upgrade. Its up to the individual really.
3.1 ZiPhone, as much as I dislike it, is the way to go for most people.
3.2 ZiPhone sucks coz there are some bugs that must be manaully fixed. But the jailbreak, activate unlock process works.
3.3 No one uses AnySIM now coz ZiPhone is here. And the last official AnySIM only unlocks 1.1.1. Maybe 1.1.2 but that was the "unofficial" version.
iPhone 4 32GB
Firmware : 4.1
Carrier: M1 (Singapore)
Unlocked : Yes
Jailbroken : Yes
Activated : Yes
If this post has helped you, please rep me by clicking the thumbs up sign located to the directly to the left of your screen.
1.1 Best bl atm is the 39BlankBL, 3.9 modified to be re-writable, it allows to have all the bonuses of 3.9 with the ability of being modified like in 4.6
1.2 Install bbinfo and see
2.1 Any that has all you need. (1.1.2 for me)
3.1 It is the way to go... somewhere you might not want to be some day. At least it's the easiest way.
3.2 It sucks cause it is made by Zibri 8) And it does some things you might not want to do without your permission.
3.3 The anysim code is used as a sub-method in many unlocking software.
Chief of Administration
iPhone Dev Team
1.) it sucks cause its entirly stolen code
2.) it's not really safe and lieks to brick phones sometimes
3.) does weirdo shit which is not welcome to anyone
Last edited by sam; 03-04-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Thanks alot for the answers, ill update my first post later!
1.1 The 3.9Blanks BL is new, right? How do you change your bootloader version and what kind of risk is there? And WHY should people switch? If BL 4.6 is also hackable there is no reason?
Originally Posted by rchik
Okay, so why is Ziphone used then when its a known fact that it sucks/is stolen/break sstuff? Is there another method?
Originally Posted by sam
If not, why aint there an alternative method?
1.1 It is brand new! You need to flash it using various software or wait and hope Zibri will include this new BL in his Ziphone.
Originally Posted by Littlex
Switching is only possible for those who are still on 4.6. Current 3.9BL users are doomed (atm). Why switch? Because if you want to unlock your phone just like the others that did the previous 3.9BL downgrade but want to keep the option to alter the BL in the future if needed.
1. Ziphone was the first all-in-one tool that was doing everything ultrafast. It aint the best since some moment but it still has some of that aura.
Originally Posted by Littlex
2. Most people don't care if it's stolen.
3. It doesn't break phones in most cases.
4. There are original methods, on which ziphone is based on, and they are more stable but slower. But if you know how to use them you are free to add/change something. Like switch to modified 3.9 bl instead of simple 3.9. Any of these can be found here, on the forum.
Ziphone vs other tools is like Mac OS vs other Unix OS - prettier, simpler, more closed/ less modifiable
There's no compelling reason to switch. The 3.9 versions allow you to be unlocked with 1.1.3/4 with the matching baseband, whereas on the 4.6 you'll have the baseband from 1.1.2 -- very minor issue. If you switch (which is only possible if you have version 4.6, by the way), switch to the modified 3.9FakeBlank. This will give you much more freedom and make it possible to go back to 4.6 (if you need to for warranty etc.) And here's the kicker: ZiPhone puts 3.9 on your phone without asking. And from there you can never go back. That's another big reason to be very cautious with ZiPhone. You may want to try eZiPhone, see http://eziphone.blogspot.com/
Originally Posted by Littlex
iPhone 3GS / 3.1.2 JB (PwnageTool) / 04.26.08 carrier-locked, Carrier Logo Fixer / Cydia / 1000 posts on Hackint0sh
Installing Cydia programs on a phone that has no internet connection: read this.
Editing binary .plist, .strings, .nib and .xib files:
* on your computer: Windows tool / conversion website.
* on your iPhone: convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities) or edit them with iFile (Cydia links).
I have been following this scene for some time, and you might want to be aware of this:
0.1 There is currently a "war" between the people who do the work on the iphone.
I might forget some, but basically, the poles are:
- George Hotz (aka GeoHot). This is a hardware guy. He likes to tinker with the phone as an embedded system. He can do reverse engineering on the baseband chip of the phone (i.e. the Infineon SGold-2). He found the weaknesses that allow unlocking the baseband phone functions, as well as the bootloader 4.6 weakness. George is independent from the <dev-team> and, in fact, does not want to be part of the politics going on, AFAIK.
- The so-called <dev team>, which is a team of people who have been doing mostly work at the operating system level on the iphone. There is one exception in that team that I know of: <Grey>, who is a russian hacker with about the same capabilities as George Hotz. There might be others. The dev team is very good at <jailbreaking> and <activating> the phone, which essentially happens at the O.S. level. The dev-team is good at cracking encryption keys...
Together, <geohot> and <dev-team> have been able to break all the iphone protections since the beginning, up to version 1.1.4 released recently. I am pretty confident that this will not change with future revisions of the iphone code...
- The so-called <thief> Zibri... He used to be part of the dev-team, but not anymore. That guy is excellent at packaging software. He believes in <Release early, often>. He is the one who brought us packaged versions of the code designed by his ex-friends. He is considered a thief, because his friends did NOT want him to release too early, fearing Apple would close the published loopholes before release of the SDK. Zibri just did not listen. Thus the war.
Zibri is very good at packaging complex tools into a simple, coherent program (i.e. ziphone). He is considered a thief, because he did not actually discover or design the powerful iphone cracking tools he packaged into ziphone. However, he DOES have the merit of ziphone, which truly brought the confusing mess of tools into a nice, simple, utility.
Wether ziphone bricks a phone or not is only dependent on the cracking tools inside, and those DO come from the dev-team et al, possibly in an unfinished version (because dev-team did not want to release) ... Don't forget this.
So... Depending on the allegiance of who you talk to, either ziphone is a godsend (because it works quite well most of the time), or it is a bad piece of shit full of stolen code that just broke your precious phone (No WIFI, no one seems to really know why).
In the long run, I don't think Zibri would be capable to reproduce the dev-team and geohot hacks all by himself. However, he IS good at packaging and distribution.
In summary, there is strong political play behind the iphone scene. This explains why there is so much confusion at times.
finally a non-partisan answer i didn't have to write myself
Iphone Unlock History
I had a 1.1.3 OOTB w/SN 88808...
* Unlocked 1.1.3 w/ZiPhone 2.4.0
* Unlocked 1.1.4 w/iPlus 2.0
* Unlocked 2.0.2 w/Winpwn 2.5 Beta 2
My phone is sold.
Attempting to unlock 2.2.0 BB 2.28.00 for a friend
By Enve19 in forum iOS 4.x (iPhone OS 4.x)
Last Post: 06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
By CaptainNegatory in forum General
Last Post: 04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
By Heerbz in forum Turbo-, Supersim and Simcloning Solution
Last Post: 04-21-2009, 04:12 AM
By TwistyValhalla in forum General
Last Post: 04-09-2008, 08:12 AM
By Will Cheyney in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 11-25-2007, 12:35 AM