Results 1 to 10 of 10
Discuss Is AnySIM 1.1 as safe as that other (commercial) solution? at the iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1) - Hackint0sh.org; I'll be getting a fresh 1.1.1 iPhone preeetty soon, but I'm still contemplating which unlock ...
  1. #1
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Question Is AnySIM 1.1 as safe as that other (commercial) solution?

    I'll be getting a fresh 1.1.1 iPhone preeetty soon, but I'm still contemplating which unlock method to use - AnySIM 1.1, or that other solution that costs money.

    Is the latest AnySIM as nice with the system and NVRAM as that other solution? I'd very much like to use the former, but I would also like a phone that isn't as prone to problems when a later firmware arrives.

    Any opinions?



  2. #2
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Well apparently in the new anySIM version that they are going to release very soon, they've made it so it doesn't get affected by future updates

  3. #3
    Amazingly Knowledgeable Array Locked's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crankyfranky View Post
    I'll be getting a fresh 1.1.1 iPhone preeetty soon, but I'm still contemplating which unlock method to use - AnySIM 1.1, or that other solution that costs money.

    Is the latest AnySIM as nice with the system and NVRAM as that other solution? I'd very much like to use the former, but I would also like a phone that isn't as prone to problems when a later firmware arrives.

    Any opinions?

    Read the sticky's subject in this forum announcing the release of anySIM 1.1. It clearly states that the new unlock don't touch the NVRAM.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomacintosh View Post
    Well apparently in the new anySIM version that they are going to release very soon, they've made it so it doesn't get affected by future updates
    New as in 1.1.1+ ?

  4. #4
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Locked View Post
    Read the sticky's subject in this forum announcing the release of anySIM 1.1. It clearly states that the new unlock don't touch the NVRAM.
    Ok, that's great.

    But does this ALSO mean it's as safe as that other commercial solution seems to be in terms of future firmware upgrades?

  5. #5
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomacintosh View Post
    Well apparently in the new anySIM version that they are going to release very soon, they've made it so it doesn't get affected by future updates
    Where did you get news of this?


  6. #6
    Senior Professional Array slimnickyy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crankyfranky View Post
    Ok, that's great.

    But does this ALSO mean it's as safe as that other commercial solution seems to be in terms of future firmware upgrades?
    No, there's no guarantees, but even the commercial solution can't claim safety from future firmware upgrades.

  7. #7
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomacintosh View Post
    Well apparently in the new anySIM version that they are going to release very soon, they've made it so it doesn't get affected by future updates
    another version? They just released the 1.1 version?

  8. #8
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slimnickyy View Post
    No, there's no guarantees, but even the commercial solution can't claim safety from future firmware upgrades.
    With today's news that Apple will be selling unlocked iPhones in France it's now pretty much guaranteed that IPSF unlocks won't be affected by future firmware.

    Since IPSF generates a valid unlock, and Apple will be selling phones with valid unlocks, there isn't going to be a reliable way for Apple to tell the difference between them.

    A.

  9. #9
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajg1977 View Post
    With today's news that Apple will be selling unlocked iPhones in France it's now pretty much guaranteed that IPSF unlocks won't be affected by future firmware.

    Since IPSF generates a valid unlock, and Apple will be selling phones with valid unlocks, there isn't going to be a reliable way for Apple to tell the difference between them.

    A.
    The part about the unloced phones i France turned out to be false for the time being. There is no solution to French legislation yet, but according to a story on Gizmodo it almost seems as if Apple are confident they can work their way out of this one, too.
    Last edited by crankyfranky; 10-18-2007 at 12:29 AM.

  10. #10
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crankyfranky View Post
    The part about the unloced phones i France turned out to be false for the time being. There is no solution to French legislation yet, but according to a story on Gizmodo it almost seems as if Apple are confident they can work their way out of this one, too.
    Yeah interesting, I just saw that too. I suspect Apple might be hoping to tie it up in the courts long enough to have an exclusive agreement with Orange Fr and make mucho euros.

    Anyhow, to the original poster; I think it's extremely unlikely that the IPSF will ever be broken by a future firmware upgrade, but it's virtually certain that AnySim will be broken whenever a new baseband is released.

    AnySim is still a great piece of work though (and free remember), just be aware that come the next update you might have to wait a few weeks and do a virginize/unlock.

    A.


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 09:39 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 04:10 AM
  4. Unlocked 1.0.2 with anySIM 1.1, is it safe to upgrade to 1.1.1?
    By vdesign in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:27 PM.
twitter, follow us!