Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Discuss [3.9BL] FakeBlank Benefits/Drawbacks??? at the iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1) - Hackint0sh.org; Just out of curiosity, I wanted to ask the forums their thoughts on the new ...
  1. #1
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default [3.9BL] FakeBlank Benefits/Drawbacks???

    Just out of curiosity, I wanted to ask the forums their thoughts on the new 3.9BL FakeBlank hack.

    Since the majority of iPhones currently in use are 3.9 (legit), and since there is no safe way for Apple to change that (imagine the headache of an iTunes BL upgrade... what a deboccle if someone like my wife messed it up and bricked her $500 gadget lol...), why is there any concern that we'll ever NEED or be forced to have 4.6?

    I guess I'm confused as to why the community would ever stop supporting the majority, especially since the majority cannot upgrade without a hardware mod? Personally I don't think it would.

    Finally, isn't there a small likleyhood that Apple could detect a modified BootLoader and, as a security measure, address it (maybe not brick it, but make some headaches)?

    Before I run out and buy a 4.6BL, and sell my 3.9BL, I'd need to see some quantifiable reason to do so... Every day I see Zibri get blasted for downgrading people to 3.9, but no one seems to have a legitimate reason as to why it's a bad thing... besides "I can run a custom BL with 4.6".

    Ok, super, but for what purpose and to what end?

    Any insight?

    T



  2. #2
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I think what ziphone does, is downgrade the bootloader without telling people. Apple put the 4.6 bootloader on newer phones for a reason. People downgrading them to 3.9 are doing it by hacking at there is no guarantee they are not doing more damage than good to there phones. However 3.9BL maybe can checked by apple i dont know and at the moment its the only way 4.6 downgraders to 3.9 can get back to there original bootloader. Though upgrading back might have some affects we cant see.

  3. #3
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nintendolinky View Post
    I think what ziphone does, is downgrade the bootloader without telling people. Apple put the 4.6 bootloader on newer phones for a reason. People downgrading them to 3.9 are doing it by hacking at there is no guarantee they are not doing more damage than good to there phones. However 3.9BL maybe can checked by apple i dont know and at the moment its the only way 4.6 downgraders to 3.9 can get back to there original bootloader. Though upgrading back might have some affects we cant see.

    you are wrong, he tells clearly, just read the READ-ME and see the screen besides,

    well, the problem is, apple can check your iphone serial, so if you hv iphone from week 45, you MUST to hv 4.6bl, but if you are using 3.9 they could easily detect you hv hacked it, so you will be "banned" from their comunity, something like this, you canīt update your iphone anymore.. the same shit as microsoft did for xbox 360 (cd-rom version), got it?

  4. #4
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nintendolinky View Post
    . Apple put the 4.6 bootloader on newer phones for a reason.
    To stop people unlocking them.

  5. #5
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    4.6 is just to stop people from unlocking it. (when 1.1.2 came out, you can only activate it to use with O2/ATT, so O2 and ATT got money from their previous contracts, or from pay as you go customers), where as bootloader 3,9 allowed unlocking to all networks.

    Besides, I am not too bothered with downgrading mine to 3.9. This is coz, i wish to sell it on ebay once the 3g version is released, lol.
    Macbook 13.3 (2.2GHZ, 2GB Ram, Leopard OSX)
    Advent 3Ghz Pentium 4 Laptop (Windows XP)
    Phone History: Sony ericsson t20e: Motorloa v525: Nokia 7600: SOny ericsson k700i: sony ericsson k800i: Orange spvm3100 : sony ericsson w880i: Nokia n95: Apple iPhone (sold on ebay).
    currently using: old shitty blackberry till 11th July.


  6. #6
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nintendolinky View Post
    I think what ziphone does, is downgrade the bootloader without telling people. Apple put the 4.6 bootloader on newer phones for a reason. People downgrading them to 3.9 are doing it by hacking at there is no guarantee they are not doing more damage than good to there phones. However 3.9BL maybe can checked by apple i dont know and at the moment its the only way 4.6 downgraders to 3.9 can get back to there original bootloader. Though upgrading back might have some affects we cant see.
    Apple offers no benefit in BL 4.x other that stop freeing the iPhone to any carrier.

    -hal9000mx

  7. #7
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    you are wrong, he tells clearly, just read the READ-ME and see the screen besides,

    well, the problem is, apple can check your iphone serial, so if you hv iphone from week 45, you MUST to hv 4.6bl, but if you are using 3.9 they could easily detect you hv hacked it, so you will be "banned" from their comunity, something like this, you canīt update your iphone anymore.. the same shit as microsoft did for xbox 360 (cd-rom version), got it?
    Does Apple have the ability to verify BL? If so, wouldn't the same hold true for the new 3.9BLank? Even if you upgraded back to 4.6, it would still be a modified 4.6, and they'd ban you in theory.

    I know they can check serial #, but a denial of update would be pointless because we'd just downlaod the restore image elsewhere (i.e., I have all the firmwares from 1.1.1 on saved already anyway).

    Unless they find a way to make the update permanently etched into iTunes, and allow us no way to download it seperately, there's no way they could deny us an update based upon BL as far as I can see.

    T

  8. #8
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iTJW View Post
    Does Apple have the ability to verify BL? If so, wouldn't the same hold true for the new 3.9BLank? Even if you upgraded back to 4.6, it would still be a modified 4.6, and they'd ban you in theory.

    I know they can check serial #, but a denial of update would be pointless because we'd just downlaod the restore image elsewhere (i.e., I have all the firmwares from 1.1.1 on saved already anyway).

    Unless they find a way to make the update permanently etched into iTunes, and allow us no way to download it seperately, there's no way they could deny us an update based upon BL as far as I can see.

    T
    Yes checkin the BL is really easy for them and yes they could also easily detect the current 3.9Blank. But that is not the point. The point is that with 3.9BLank you can upgrade back to legit 4.6. 4.6BL does not necessarily need to be modified but I'm sure the scene will come up with stealth BL which are faking specific BL versions if needed.

    They can integrate a check in the update to verify SN, BL, BB and if data is not matching the update will be denied. But this is just speculation atm.


    Its a fact that the 3.9BLank has absolutely no drawbacks vs. the "original" 3.9BL but the major benefit that you can change back or to a new BL if you ever need to.

  9. #9
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSonix View Post
    Yes checkin the BL is really easy for them and yes they could also easily detect the current 3.9Blank. But that is not the point. The point is that with 3.9BLank you can upgrade back to legit 4.6. 4.6BL does not necessarily need to be modified but I'm sure the scene will come up with stealth BL which are faking specific BL versions if needed.

    They can integrate a check in the update to verify SN, BL, BB and if data is not matching the update will be denied. But this is just speculation atm.


    Its a fact that the 3.9BLank has absolutely no drawbacks vs. the "original" 3.9BL but the major benefit that you can change back or to a new BL if you ever need to.
    First, are you certain that when you upgrade back to 4.6 with 3.6BLank that there is no change whatsoever from the legit 4.6? I have heard different with that respect (that while you CAN upgrade back, it's not a fully unmodified upgrade, therefore detectable if Apple does go that route).

    Second, lets say they DO start banning/blocking updates. How long do you figure it would take the dev team (or basically anyone way smarter than me haha), to write something that would allow the update (to be installed via download then the Shift+Restore method in iTunes, or by a custom update)? Methinks not very long.

    It just seems to me that if Apple ever goes far enough to start banning based upon BL mods, that no method is going to be completely clean. Maybe I'm off here.

    T

  10. #10
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    The reason for 3.9fakeblank is simple: choice. Who knows what is going to happen in the future, so I would like to have the option of changing my BL if there is a particularly need to do it. I wasn't interested in a one-way street to 3.9, so fakeblank is just what I was waiting for. I have the features that 3.9 has, with extra choice available to me as I will forever have the option of moving to a completely custom bootloader when (not if) one comes out.


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 07:39 PM
  2. MacNN: New iPhone ads highlight Verizon's network drawbacks
    By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 10:50 PM
  3. [Bootloader] 3.9 FakeBlank to Real 3.9
    By phildobson in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
  4. [Ziphone] 3.9, 4.6 FakeBlank Oh my god...
    By jeegnesh in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
  5. Why FakeBlank, what is it for?
    By tottolotto in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 04:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:32 PM.
twitter, follow us!