Results 1 to 9 of 9
Discuss 1.1.1 edge settings - but I dont have a unknowncarrier.plist file at the iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1) - Hackint0sh.org; Hi, I have seen a few posts about various fixes for the inability to save ...
  1. #1
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default 1.1.1 edge settings - but I dont have a unknowncarrier.plist file

    Hi,

    I have seen a few posts about various fixes for the inability to save Edge settings (it bounces me back to the springboard).

    Thing is, using Fugu, I cannot see the 'unknowncarrier.plist' file, only the 'ATT_US.plist' and the others in the 'core telephony/support' folder.

    I tried using an application called 'Edge settings fix' but it appears to have done nothing.

    Any help?

    PS Sorry for cross posting but I need some help really bad



  2. #2
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealEvil View Post
    Hi,

    I have seen a few posts about various fixes for the inability to save Edge settings (it bounces me back to the springboard).

    Thing is, using Fugu, I cannot see the 'unknowncarrier.plist' file, only the 'ATT_US.plist' and the others in the 'core telephony/support' folder.

    I tried using an application called 'Edge settings fix' but it appears to have done nothing.

    Any help?

    PS Sorry for cross posting but I need some help really bad
    I have the exact same problem. Have loaded the Sticky Edge program and this has not helped.

    Like you...I need help

  3. #3
    Administrator Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I have not tested this but I want to pass along some information. Go to your Install app and add this source:

    http://i.unlock.no
    refresh your source
    now look under install, unlocking tools

    You will see EDGE Settings fix - You can try to install that.

    read this too: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14558
    Last edited by dtube; 11-07-2007 at 10:24 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Thanks for your help, but I have already tried that app. It doesnt seem to do anything.

    Trying the 'sticky' app now.

    HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by dtube View Post
    I have not tested this but I want to pass along some information. Go to your Install app and add this source:

    http://i.unlock.no
    refresh your source
    now look under install, unlocking tools

    You will see EDGE Settings fix - You can try to install that.

    read this too: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14558
    Last edited by RealEvil; 11-07-2007 at 10:37 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    The 'sticky APN' app has created the 'unknowncarrier.plist' file but I still cannot set the APN.

    When I go to the edit screen and edit one of the 3 values, as soon as I 'tab off' it dumps me back to the springboard.

    i have tried manually editing the unkowncarrier.plist file too but it sill doesnt work.


  6. #6
    The Man Array aviegas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,108
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealEvil View Post
    The 'sticky APN' app has created the 'unknowncarrier.plist' file but I still cannot set the APN.

    When I go to the edit screen and edit one of the 3 values, as soon as I 'tab off' it dumps me back to the springboard.

    i have tried manually editing the unkowncarrier.plist file too but it sill doesnt work.
    Well, it's just because editing the $#@%$#% plist is not the correct proceedure.

    It works like this:

    1) When a network configuration trigger occurs the phone enters a proceedure to check the settings for the newly "found" network.

    Note: what triggers? SIM change, No service, but in a possible roaming area, etc. I do not know all the triggers, but I know how to force it: swap the current SIM to the original AT&T (or any other for a different provider) and then back.

    2) Reconfiguration will look inside CarrierMap.plist for a match of the current network MCC-MNC (Mobile Country Code - Mobile Network Code). If a match is found, then the configuration plist is the network specific one, such as ATT_US.plist or O2_UK.plist (this one exists only in 1.1.2 or needs to be created in 1.1.1).

    If no match is found, then the configuration is loaded from UnknownCarrier.plist

    3) Then, and THAT IS THE KEY, the configuration process creates a symbolic link from /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist to the plist selected in step (3) above.

    For example, in 1.1.1 by default is only ATT_US.plist or UnknownCarrier.plist. In 1.1.1 there is also O2_UK.plist, TMOBILE_DE.plist and ORANGE_FR.plist.


    4) Then the phone loads the settings from the com.apple.carrier.plist that is POINTING to a network dependent plist.


    If you change UnknownCarrier.plist and you enter roaming, even the no data when roaming setting will help you. It will connect as your original provider and charges can be a disaster.

    SO BE SMART: the correct way to do is to create a network specific plist or.... have your heard the horror stories of the large data bills for people that tought they were not using data when traveling?

    This EDGE fix is no fix, but rather a big potential problem.

    If anyone wants to write a generic fix like that:

    - Check, like FieldTest do, the current MCC-MNC (I do not know how to get that info programatically from CommCenter, but it's possible as FieldTest do - or fire it and ask the user to check and input)

    - Get the EDGE/GPRS info from the user and create a MY_XX.plist.

    - Using the MCC-MNC, modify CarrierMap.plist to add the new code pointing to the MY_XX.plist

    - Ask the user to perform the "SIM switcheroo".

    Otherwise it's just too risky, specially for those that travel outside their home area.

  7. #7
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Thank you so much for being really helpful. It works perfectly now.

    Quote Originally Posted by aviegas View Post
    Well, it's just because editing the $#@%$#% plist is not the correct proceedure.

    It works like this:

    1) When a network configuration trigger occurs the phone enters a proceedure to check the settings for the newly "found" network.

    Note: what triggers? SIM change, No service, but in a possible roaming area, etc. I do not know all the triggers, but I know how to force it: swap the current SIM to the original AT&T (or any other for a different provider) and then back.

    2) Reconfiguration will look inside CarrierMap.plist for a match of the current network MCC-MNC (Mobile Country Code - Mobile Network Code). If a match is found, then the configuration plist is the network specific one, such as ATT_US.plist or O2_UK.plist (this one exists only in 1.1.2 or needs to be created in 1.1.1).

    If no match is found, then the configuration is loaded from UnknownCarrier.plist

    3) Then, and THAT IS THE KEY, the configuration process creates a symbolic link from /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist to the plist selected in step (3) above.

    For example, in 1.1.1 by default is only ATT_US.plist or UnknownCarrier.plist. In 1.1.1 there is also O2_UK.plist, TMOBILE_DE.plist and ORANGE_FR.plist.


    4) Then the phone loads the settings from the com.apple.carrier.plist that is POINTING to a network dependent plist.


    If you change UnknownCarrier.plist and you enter roaming, even the no data when roaming setting will help you. It will connect as your original provider and charges can be a disaster.

    SO BE SMART: the correct way to do is to create a network specific plist or.... have your heard the horror stories of the large data bills for people that tought they were not using data when traveling?

    This EDGE fix is no fix, but rather a big potential problem.

    If anyone wants to write a generic fix like that:

    - Check, like FieldTest do, the current MCC-MNC (I do not know how to get that info programatically from CommCenter, but it's possible as FieldTest do - or fire it and ask the user to check and input)

    - Get the EDGE/GPRS info from the user and create a MY_XX.plist.

    - Using the MCC-MNC, modify CarrierMap.plist to add the new code pointing to the MY_XX.plist

    - Ask the user to perform the "SIM switcheroo".

    Otherwise it's just too risky, specially for those that travel outside their home area.

  8. #8
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Would it be possible to get a step by step guide to do this....I just want to ensure that I do the right thing (am not a programmer!!)

    I am using a mac 0X

  9. #9
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Nice. I build up a VF_D.plist for Vodafone Germany, kicked out AT&T and TM_D settings. Works fine.

    But - there is a services section in the plist, I entered values for the services, but they are not showing up in the phone settings. There is my text entered like "Vodafone Services", but there are 5 values - seems like they are preprogrammed - and not the ones entered in my plist. Strange.

    Does someone have some luck in changing the services?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 06:07 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:00 AM.
twitter, follow us!